Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked on the forum and in the manual but I may be missing it. When I picked up the car with a full charge my total distance to empty was 134 miles, that quickly became 124 now with all the testing at the dealer it around 117. I understand it's calculated on driving style, but aside from driving like granny for a month is there a way reset the car back to when it expected me Not to be a lead footed driver?

·
Registered
2017 Marina Blue HEV Ltd I O N I Q since 25 July '17
1,782 Posts
I take it your talking about the GoM after a full charge each time. Possibly by disconnecting and reconnecting the 12V but otherwise, you'd be looking to factory reset the trip computer somehow. Not sure, myself, how to do that.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It shouldn't take too long to "reset" the GOM. Just drive it! I do my calculations from the battery status, to be precise by multiplying the charge % by the driving I'm intending to do.

·
Registered
34 Posts
As far as I understand it, the Guess-o-Meter calculates the range to empty based on the state of charge of the battery coupled with recent driving patterns (so, not cumulative over the life of the car; just recent). Hence, once you establish a given driving pattern the GoM will adjust the range to empty accordingly. And, if you make an exceptional trip with lower or higher usage, that calculation will change. In other words, it's constantly re-estimating. So I see nothing to be gained by doing what you are asking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You go in the ev menu, eco driving, history. You have a menu button there. Click delete history. In the car menu, you go to user settings, other features, fuel economy auto reset, and you choose from there, after ignition or after recharging

·
Registered
284 Posts
As far as I understand it, the Guess-o-Meter calculates the range to empty based on the state of charge of the battery coupled with recent driving patterns (so, not cumulative over the life of the car; just recent).
That's my understanding as well.

Question is why the plug-in hybrid doesn't do the same? Unless things have changed with the latest model year, the electrical range always starts with the same pre-programmed value, based on the local driving cycle used to test the car. So my 2018 PHEV always counted down from 63 km (the NEDC value) even though I seldom could get more than 47-48 km on electricity.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Question is why the plug-in hybrid doesn't do the same?
Strictly marketing. On the PHEV, there is no need for even attempting to have an accurate EV range estimate as that range doesn't end your trip - you have a large fuel range. A slight change of driving behavior or conditions per charge will radically change your PHEV EV range, so there is little point adjusting for these unknowable (to the car) variables.

·
Registered
115 Posts
That's my understanding as well.

Question is why the plug-in hybrid doesn't do the same? Unless things have changed with the latest model year, the electrical range always starts with the same pre-programmed value, based on the local driving cycle used to test the car. So my 2018 PHEV always counted down from 63 km (the NEDC value) even though I seldom could get more than 47-48 km on electricity.
The Plug-in doesn't have electrical heating that would be worth mentioning. Thus the weather doesn't affect the range too much. In my Kia Optima PHEV range drops some KM in winter and is higher in the summer and this is due to the battery temperature. If you turn off climate control before shutting down the car then the range should be a little higher in the summer at least.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is why I asked, as I would rather look at this first thing in the morning than 116 miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts