Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
So why do the images contradict the text?
They don't actually contradict the text. I think you are referring to the top right image. In that example it is the method of lifting the front that is not acceptable.

That's my interpretation anyway :).

·
Registered
103 Posts
They don't actually contradict the text. I think you are referring to the top right image. In that example it is the method of lifting the front that is not acceptable.

That's my interpretation, too. But I have to admit that it took me a while.

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai Ioniq Limited with Ultimate Package
1,131 Posts

I understand why it looks like a contradiction. The left images don't show any examples of the rear wheels staying on the ground.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We just got our Ioniq Hybrid Blue and now have a question about towing. One of the salesmen said it must be flatbed trailered, but even the manual says it can be towed on a dolly. We have an RV Motorhome and currently have a dolly that we used with our old PT Cruiser. We are currently leasing so don't really want to accumulate a lot of non-driving miles, so if that is the problem, we will probably get a flatbed trailer. But it would be easier if we could use our dolly. The vehicle is FWD so as long as the front wheels are up, doesn't that keep it from actuating the mileage? If this topic is somewhere else, I apologize but I could not find it. And we have a short trip planned at the end of the month, so any replies ASAP would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I have the same question but am more concerned with clearance between the ramps and the underside of the vehicle. Our Ioniq sits really low and once the tires drop into the wells the ramps raise off the ground. So does anyone have experience s to share like it's too low or it's okay. Pictures would be great. TIA

·
Registered
675 Posts
This has been an interesting thread. Why don't you folks just forget the motorhome and towing issues and stay in a hotel, B&B, or Airbnb. It is really less expensive than tying up your money in a motorhome and having to worry about towing a vehicle. I had motorhomes for about 12 years and I speak from experience.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I used dolly to transport my Leaf and Ioniq EVs to and from the dealer when I bought it in other state. No issues at all as both are front wheel drive cars. Although, using "skates" for rear wheels is recommended, I did not bother as it was not even available option for me.

·
Registered
207 Posts
So clearance was not an issue?
Not sure who you asked the question, but for me there was no issues going from Philadelphia suburb PA to Annapolis MD on I-95. I would not need to do it, but my Leaf did not have Fast Charge option and distance required a full charge on the middle, so L2 would not be practical. I rented dolly from UHAUL. Avoid sharp turns, I think I made a few cracks in the front wheel guards as the wheel tie strap is pretty close to the its front edge and if you turn sharply it may cause some damage to it as there is limit to wheel support pods to allow turns, the strap is anchored stationary and slightly forward. I noticed it month later, so it may be caused by previous transport to/by a dealer. One thing for sure - it was on both sides. Nothing a few small epoxy applications could not handle - it looks like new. I would just remove a few clips holding it in place (only 2-3 per side) to allow greater movement during transport.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So what’s the verdict from Hyundai? Is it okay to tow the Ionic with the front wheels on a tow dolly behind an RV. The rear wheels will be on the pavement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, well, shows how much I know about towing. But the manual shows leaving two wheels on the ground to be incorrect. So Front Wheel lift with a dolly for the rear wheels (or vice versa), or use a trailer with 4 wheels. It's what the manual depicts.

So if you're attaching a dolly via a trailer hitch to the RV, then it looks like you should have another dolly (sans hitch) for the rear wheels.
If you read the text, it clearly states that it can be used with a dolly IF THE FRONT WHEELS ARE OFF THE GROUND.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just got our Ioniq Hybrid Blue and now have a question about towing. One of the salesmen said it must be flatbed trailered, but even the manual says it can be towed on a dolly. We have an RV Motorhome and currently have a dolly that we used with our old PT Cruiser. We are currently leasing so don't really want to accumulate a lot of non-driving miles, so if that is the problem, we will probably get a flatbed trailer. But it would be easier if we could use our dolly. The vehicle is FWD so as long as the front wheels are up, doesn't that keep it from actuating the mileage? If this topic is somewhere else, I apologize but I could not find it. And we have a short trip planned at the end of the month, so any replies ASAP would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I towed a a 2017 Elantra 2400 miles from Seat to Russellville Arkansas with a rented U Haul with NO BRAKES and never had a single issue. Then I bought a tow dolly here and use my own dolly now.
Works fine

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes you can use a tow dolly with the rear wheels down. I do it all the time. The car rides perfectly. Just watch out for dollies with short steep ramps; the front air damn sits very low.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Here, let's settle this: when my car was towed (MY2018, EV), it was towed back to Hyundai with the two rear wheels on the ground. Settled :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
This might be a little late, but I believe the pics in the example on the right side of the page (6-40) (2019 ioniq hev owners manual) depicts towing with a sling type tow truck vs. a wheel lift type tow truck. (I dont think there are many sling type trucks left anyways.) The 2 pictures in that box refer to the second statement. The 1st statement has no illustration.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts