Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got our Ioniq Hybrid Blue and now have a question about towing. One of the salesmen said it must be flatbed trailered, but even the manual says it can be towed on a dolly. We have an RV Motorhome and currently have a dolly that we used with our old PT Cruiser. We are currently leasing so don't really want to accumulate a lot of non-driving miles, so if that is the problem, we will probably get a flatbed trailer. But it would be easier if we could use our dolly. The vehicle is FWD so as long as the front wheels are up, doesn't that keep it from actuating the mileage? If this topic is somewhere else, I apologize but I could not find it. And we have a short trip planned at the end of the month, so any replies ASAP would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
'17 Marina Blue HEV Ltd I O N I Q since 25 Jul '17
1,846 Posts
I'm not an expert on the subject, by any means, but it seems to me that as long as your tow dolly is for both front and rear axles, so all 4 wheels are off the ground, you should be okay.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
The manual says rear wheels on the road is fine for towing. In another section, it suggests turning off AEB in settings while towing. It also says the odometer records driven miles. I doubt there is a sensor on the rear wheels in any FWD car, and probably darn few modern cars of any configuration.

·
Registered
84 Posts
looking in the manual you are OK to use a dolly so long as the front wheels are off the ground.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai Ioniq Limited with Ultimate Package
1,131 Posts
I think any front wheel drive car is OK on a dolly as long as the front wheels are off the ground. The issues with dollies come from all wheel drive or rear wheel drive.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Four wheels off the ground would be a trailer. With a dolly, only two of the wheels will be off the ground.
Yeah, well, shows how much I know about towing. But the manual shows leaving two wheels on the ground to be incorrect. So Front Wheel lift with a dolly for the rear wheels (or vice versa), or use a trailer with 4 wheels. It's what the manual depicts.

So if you're attaching a dolly via a trailer hitch to the RV, then it looks like you should have another dolly (sans hitch) for the rear wheels.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
front wheels have to be of the ground to prevent damage to gearbox and hybrid system

easy to confirm if mileage increases, a short couple of miles run on the dolly then re-check mileage recorded
That's a good idea. I can't imagine that they would use data from the rear wheels to determine distance. I want to think that most cars have speed sensors in the drivetrain for that. I think the wheel speed sensors are just used for the ABS and ESC.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
That's a good idea. I can't imagine that they would use data from the rear wheels to determine distance. I want to think that most cars have speed sensors in the drivetrain for that. I think the wheel speed sensors are just used for the ABS and ESC.
Will the car register miles travelled when car is not powered up, as the odometer is electronic.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Take a closer look at the page of the manual. You must have all 4 wheels off the ground. I believe what wcope is asking is can they use a towed dolly under the front wheels with the rear wheels on the ground. This is NOT a valid towing configuration according to the manual.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Take a closer look at the page of the manual. You must have all 4 wheels off the ground. I believe what wcope is asking is can they use a towed dolly under the front wheels with the rear wheels on the ground. This is NOT a valid towing configuration according to the manual.
It says it's acceptable to tow with the rear wheels on the ground.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
The page in the manual is slightly confusing if you just look at the pictures.
The images on the right of the page show that you shouldn't tow with the front wheels down or use a sling/rope tow.

But if you use a dolly on the front wheels you are OK.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
My concern with leaving the rear wheels on the ground might be that the car might try to charge the high voltage battery if they're in motion, and could risk overcharging since the computer's not on to control it.

That's the one danger I could see, and possibly why the illustrations in the manual show all four wheels have to be off the ground.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
My concern with leaving the rear wheels on the ground might be that the car might try to charge the high voltage battery if they're in motion, and could risk overcharging since the computer's not on to control it.

That's the one danger I could see, and possibly why the illustrations in the manual show all four wheels have to be off the ground.
The regeneration done by braking and coasting is through the front wheels only.

·
Registered
467 Posts
It says it's acceptable to tow with the rear wheels on the ground.
Where do you see that. I see exactly the opposite in that page. The middle image on the left shows what is acceptable is the rear wheels down but on a dolly, not touching the ground. The right side images show you should never tow with either set of wheels on the ground. Or am I missing something in that image?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Where do you see that. I see exactly the opposite in that page. The middle image on the left shows what is acceptable is the rear wheels down but on a dolly, not touching the ground. The right side images show you should never tow with either set of wheels on the ground. Or am I missing something in that image?
Pge 6-38 of the manual central text states:

It is acceptable to tow the vehicle with the rear wheels on the ground (without dollies) and the front wheels off the ground. If any of the loaded wheels or suspension components are damaged or the vehicle is being towed with the front wheels on the ground, use a towing dolly under the front wheels. When being towed by a commercial tow truck and wheel dollies are not used, the front of the vehicle should always be lifted, not the rear.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
So why do the images contradict the text?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
So why do the images contradict the text?
My guess is that the images give the recommended way to towing. I'm sure Hyundai does prefer you tow with all four wheels off the ground even if it's just to keep additional wear and tear off the rear suspension. If you tow the car 1000 miles with the rear wheels on the ground, that's 1000 miles of use on the rear suspension that isn't on the odometer. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but that's 1000 miles they don't know about if you ever need to make a warranty claim on those components.

It says it's acceptable to tow with the rear wheels on the ground because for all intents and purposes, it's no different for the rear wheels than regular driving. Those wheels are just along for the ride unless you hit the brakes.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts