Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
The batteries in iphones and ipads are horrible. They lose capacity in a couple of years and after there years they are almost useless unless the device is plugged in.
Or they last forever if you are willing to not charge to 100% every time. Difficult to automate, so it takes some work. I put set a timer on my phone so I don't forget to unplug it (knowing the charge rate). If I'm using my laptop, I often forget to check current charge so a couple times a week I end up with 100% charge. My last two laptops both lasted 8 years each and it wasn't the battery that made me replace them. My iPhone 6S lasted 5 years, and again, it wasn't the battery that drove the upgrade, it was the tech.

That is for lithium based devices. You try to keep them between 20 and 80%, including cars. Now my electric toothbrush with its minuscule NiCad battery is another story. Still working after 12 years which does astonish me. The trick to avoid the dreaded "memory" effect is to bring it down to zero capacity after every charge. Which I did faithfully for the last 12 years. I have lost capacity. When new, it worked for more than 6 weeks between charges. That is down to 3 weeks now. I could put it on its inductive charger nightly, but I don't think it would have lasted 2 years like that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks for letting me know. I wish there was an app to limit charging on iPhones! Perhaps there is. Haven't checked.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Thanks for letting me know. I wish there was an app to limit charging on iPhones! Perhaps there is. Haven't checked.
There is some sort of learning algorithm that learns your daily charging pattern. For example if you are like most people, you plug in your phone overnight and unplug it when you wake up. iPhone charges to 80% and then does the last 20% timed to complete just before you wake up. I think Android phones have done something similar before Apple came around.

While this seems like new information to me, I have heard evidence cited in the last couple years that as long as you move off of 100%, you minimize damage. Still, I would prefer either a phone controlled timer or charge threshold to end charging. I have an iPhone 12 Mini and it is the first cell phone ever I don't need to charge overnight or even particularly regularly. But unless I binge a game, I'm not a really a heavy user.

The same theory seems to apply to BEVs too. You only charge to 100% on days you need full range. Perhaps only 60% on days you need minimal range. And you time your full charge to be complete just before departing. That is best for the car but of course it could be significantly cheaper to charge at certain times locally.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
We currently also have a Lexus ES300h. I have heard that it's large battery lasts the life of the car mainly because Toyota has built in the huge buffer and only uses it 30%-70%. Life of a Lexus should be 20 years hopefully. But it is a Nicad battery. I wonder if the same applies to the Li-ion battery in the Ionic 5. Either way I am looking forward to getting mine! Thank you for a great discussion, all.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Actually it is a nickel metal hydride battery - I don't think nicads and electrified cars are a good fit. I don't know much about it other than Toyota wrings a lot of life out of it in HEVs. Lots of Gen 1 and 2 Prii still on the road with original battery! Heavier than lithium batteries but that doesn't matter so much with hybrid's small batteries. HEV's automatic battery management system means no user options which is a good thing generally. BEV owners can make choices that will affect battery life.

Reactions: 374

·
Registered
2022 IONIQ 5 SEL RWD
1 Posts
150 kW chargers are more common right now, so you can use those instead of the 350 kW chargers. If you charge when it’s cold outside, this also limits the charging speed as the battery warms up.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts