Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Ioniq 2020 38KWh, VW Passat GTE, Toyota Landcruiser, Alfa Spider S2
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lot of trial and error I have been able to calibrate out all the unnecessary conservatism in the ABRP app to the extent that it is now really beneficial and the "go to" Nav option to use.
In the settings section amongst other variables is the efficiency, battery degradation, ambient temp and extra weight in the car. For my driving style on mainly A and B roads I have found that 5.0 miles/KWh, 0% degradation (car is 1 year old), 20 Deg C (actually between 5 and 10) and 0kg extra weight regardless of occupants gives predicted consumption that matches with actual consumption.
I have tested this using normal driving mode at our around the permissible speed limits and most if not all braking done on regen rather than friction. My actual measured efficiency is between 4.5 and 4.7 miles/KWh.
Hope this makes sense and is of some use to others.

·
Registered
2018 Ioniq Electric
41 Posts
I've been looking at this recently also and measured a journey today over 60 miles or so, broken up into two legs. The car indicated 5.3 m/kWh overall and I noted the starting and ending percentages reported by the car. Parameters entered into ABRP were 10c (roughly right for the day), 0kg additional weight (adding 80kg didn't seem to do anything despite carrying another passenger), dry roads, no wind, and set maximum speed to equal the fastest I would go.

I entered 5.3 m/kWh into ABRP and the percentages reported by ABRP added up +/- 1% at both ends of the two leg journey. Much better than the default 4.8 value which has usually been, as you say, too conservative. So it appears that entering the car's reported consumption will help with predicting charge stops etc but, of course, not every journey will be 5.3 - some will be higher, some lower so I guess ABRP went conservative to cover those worst case scenarios?

Reactions: cregox

·
Registered
10 Posts
converting those measurements to the most common metric standard i'm aware (using aqua-calc.com):

miles per kWh equals kWh per 100km
3.6 17.3 (worst i've seen)
3.9 15.9 (my personal worst)*
4.0 15.5
4.5 13.8
4.7 13.2
4.8 12.9
5.0 12.4 (around the actual average, i guess)
5.3 11.7
5.5 11.3
6.0 10.4 (best i've seen)

all comments based in a month and 30 records sample from my new 2016 model, 28kwh.

* lots of idle time, charging devices without charging the car, and little road activity

·
Registered
10 Posts
hope it's fine to hijack the topic a little: may we also talk about how do we use abrp?

i was hoping to find the simplest way to tweak the default map app and make its prediction that much better. i think it's just lacking altitude data. and charging station data...

i managed to connect it with the head unit, at least, but haven't tested it yet since it's still so troublesome to use it on the cell phone only. i'll try to report back later.

·
Registered
2020 Premium Electric
65 Posts
I use ABRP for planning but not navigating yet - I probably will once it supports Android Auto.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use ABRP for planning but not navigating yet - I probably will once it supports Android Auto.
this is unlikely to happen anytime soon, i suppose. given how google have been monopolizing it. and how google is actually evil. and how long we, as society, take to get such anti cartel movements to work. 🥐

easier to just get a sonos sion instead, which will be released before abrp gets to any auto, i think.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hope it's fine to hijack the topic a little: may we also talk about how do we use abrp?

i was hoping to find the simplest way to tweak the default map app and make its prediction that much better. i think it's just lacking altitude data. and charging station data...

i managed to connect it with the head unit, at least, but haven't tested it yet since it's still so troublesome to use it on the cell phone only. i'll try to report back later.
I'm pretty sure that it does contain altitude date in its consumption data. Its not just as simple as putting in 5 or 5.3 m/KWh instead of the 4.8 although that does improve the result. All of the other parameters seem to influence the consumption as well. I agree that the charging point data could be improved. Most but not all of the charge point in my area of Scotland are in their database but are not displayed on the map (it would be so easy to display them ideally with availability information - can't be difficult).
It's not perfect but better than most for EVs. Others that I have tested are Tom Tom, Waze, Google, Apple. Zap Map and none of these as as good in my opinion

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm pretty sure that it does contain altitude date in its consumption data. Its not just as simple as putting in 5 or 5.3 m/KWh instead of the 4.8 although that does improve the result. All of the other parameters seem to influence the consumption as well. I agree that the charging point data could be improved. Most but not all of the charge point in my area of Scotland are in their database but are not displayed on the map (it would be so easy to display them ideally with availability information - can't be difficult).
It's not perfect but better than most for EVs. Others that I have tested are Tom Tom, Waze, Google, Apple. Zap Map and none of these as as good in my opinion
sorry.

i meant the default map on ioniq doesn't have those data.

abrp is the only one that does altitude, very clearly when you switch to advanced mode. and although it lacks recharging points, it's still vastly superior than the ioniq map as well.

if only all those software devs could collaborate instead of so much competition... sigh.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Arguably its the competition that drives improvement but I know what you mean in this context.

·
Registered
2020 Premium Electric
65 Posts
sorry.

i meant the default map on ioniq doesn't have those data.

abrp is the only one that does altitude, very clearly when you switch to advanced mode. and although it lacks recharging points, it's still vastly superior than the ioniq map as well.

if only all those software devs could collaborate instead of so much competition... sigh.
The in built maps are really badly lacking. They bring up charging points but are woefully out of date.

·
Registered
2020 Premium Electric
65 Posts
this is unlikely to happen anytime soon, i suppose. given how google have been monopolizing it. and how google is actually evil. and how long we, as society, take to get such anti cartel movements to work. 🥐

easier to just get a sonos sion instead, which will be released before abrp gets to any auto, i think.
Good news! It's happening!!**

** Or at least Google is making it possible. ABRP has talked about AA support so hopefully now they will make it so.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts