Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just spent 3 solid days driving from NH to FL with our 2019 Hyoniq and have noticed that sometimes the cabin temps are quite cool/cold but the air conditioner is still pushing cold air into the cabin. If I set the temperature to 76 or so warm air starts but that is not they way it should work! Since the car was quite full of "stuff' I wondered if I was blocking a cabin temperate sensor but have experienced the same thing again with the car unpacked.
Any thoughts?
thanks

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have mine set to 20C (68F) and it works fine; if I'm feeling wimpish and need a sudden boost of warm air I use the front screen defroster switch which quickly does the job .

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have mine set to 20C (68F) and it works fine; if I'm feeling wimpish and need a sudden boost of warm air I use the front screen defroster switch which quickly does the job .
mine is set to a similar temperature BUT sometimes it is obviously below that temp and the air coming out of the vents is cold!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
ADS (auto defog system) in on by default unless changed by owner. This will result in unexpected AC (no light) at times. If you want full control, turn the ADS off (hold front defrost button for 2-3 seconds until you see dialog appear), and also turn auto climate control off. Then you will know what you get.

Reactions: 1stEV

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ADS (auto defog system) in on by default unless changed by owner. This will result in unexpected AC (no light) at times. If you want full control, turn the ADS off (hold front defrost button for 2-3 seconds until you see dialog appear), and also turn auto climate control off. Then you will know what you get.
Thanks for your idea. If the window fogs up can you clear it with a setting. When you say to turn off the Auto Climate Control is that what controls the fan etc?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Hi @twestheimer, let me bat clean-up for @yticolev.

I don't bother turning Auto Climate Control off myself and seems fine, but I'll be trying @yticolev's method (edit: of turning Automatic Climate Control off by pushing either fan button for manual operation) too. (y)
BTW I need to push Front Defrost button for 3-4 seconds, so YRMV, but you'll see soon enough for yourself.
See attached pic.

Are you OK with this @yticolev?

Attachments

·
Registered
'17 Marina Blue HEV Ltd I O N I Q since 25 Jul '17
1,836 Posts
For the most part, my journeys are quite short and keep the climate control completely off except to clear the windows. This, my third winter with the car, I have been taking some longer journeys on colder days and have been wanting some cabin heat at times, and was indeed finding ADS was taking over far too often for my liking, so, having read about turning it off on several threads here over the last couple of years, finally turned ADS off on my Ioniq using the method illustrated above, by pressing and holding the Front Defrost button for 3-4 seconds and have not looked back since.

During my first 6 months of ownership, I used the general Auto setting for the climate control, when I ran it, but have found, since then, that I much prefer to control all the settings myself. I do still find when first turning the Climate Control on, the system will auto-ramp up the fan speed from the last used setting, but I can quickly override this by turning the fan speed back down and it does stay put.

Reactions: Jim J.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Wow, a dedicated HVAC status display! My lower trim US model doesn't have that, and I've never seen that or heard it mentioned before. Only when I change a setting does a header bar appear on the large display with that information.

·
Registered
'17 Marina Blue HEV Ltd I O N I Q since 25 Jul '17
1,836 Posts
Wow, a dedicated HVAC status display! My lower trim US model doesn't have that, and I've never seen that or heard it mentioned before. Only when I change a setting does a header bar appear on the large display with that information.
Must be a KIA thing. AFAIK, all pre-2020 Ioniqs have a dedicated HVAC display. All the interior pics I've seen show this to be true. And it also true on my 2017 Ltd as well as the 2019 Blue I rented last year. Also my dad's 2017 Elantra also has a dedicated HVAC display.

·
Registered
217 Posts
My 2019 SEL also has exactly the same HVAC display - though switched from Westkent's because it's left-hand drive rather than right.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I guess I never noticed it in any pictures before.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I agree that auto-defrost runs too frequently in cold weather. I turn it of for the entire winter. Also the auto setting for HVAC runs the fan way too high a speed, so I never use Auto

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just spent 3 solid days driving from NH to FL with our 2019 Hyoniq and have noticed that sometimes the cabin temps are quite cool/cold but the air conditioner is still pushing cold air into the cabin. If I set the temperature to 76 or so warm air starts but that is not they way it should work! Since the car was quite full of "stuff' I wondered if I was blocking a cabin temperate sensor but have experienced the same thing again with the car unpacked.
Any thoughts?
thanks
Even when the climate control is off and it is colder outside than the temp set on the inside, the AC will run. It took me a while but eventually learned the following from other posts.
In order to just let in fresh air without AC, turn the temp knob counter clockwise until is says "Lo." Then make sure Auto, AC and recirculate are all off. At that point, only fresh air will come in, though you can adjust the speed by adjusting the fan up or down. Following this procedure will both keep cold AC air from coming in when you don't need it AND saving a bit of fuel. Hope this helps. It did me in my 2019 HPEV. Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts