Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was never an issue with my ICE cars as their cabin filters did a great job of blocking outside smells but the one in this car is terrible. Any way to make the cabin filter better at filtering? I get a massive whiff of gas smells whenever I’m behind someone. And the fact that it auto turns itself off after 5-10 mins. Drives me nuts! What idiot decided that was a good idea. My main complaint.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
What turns itself off? I suspect you may mean the recirculate button as some complain it times out (doesn't for me).

I don't notice any smells. You might want to take a look at your filter, it may not be fitting correctly or missing altogether.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What turns itself off? I suspect you may mean the recirculate button as some complain it times out (doesn't for me).

I don't notice any smells. You might want to take a look at your filter, it may not be fitting correctly or missing altogether.
Where is it?

nm. It’s I’m glove box.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have noticed this as well (driving in big city). I run therefore most of the time on inner circulation, but I had to disable anti-fogging, since it was opening air recirculation and getting air from outside automatically.
I suppose this is due to a fact that the only way how to get air into cabin is from bellow the bonnet and there the only openings to get fresh air are at bottom at the level of other cars exhaust pipes.
But I suppose this has nothing to do with air filter.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Every car I’ve ever driven allows outside smells in unless I turn on recirculated air. I’m not certain an air filter is designed to keep all smells out; just dirt and dust from entering the cabin. I’m sure it helps to suppress “contaminated air”, and some air filters contain an air freshener that might also help, but I think what you’re experiencing is normal.

·
Registered
52 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
8 Posts
Actually, there are two issuess - automatic recirculation switch and air "leakage", so outside air enters cabin.

First problem has easy solution as disable automatic anti-fog. Pay attention to it is neccessary make enforced circulation time to time during long trips - because of oxygen level inside decreased and this leads to weak concentration and other side health effects.

Second problem, according my own experience, mostly caused by doors gaskets. Solution comes at the same time you make anti-noise modification - additional gaskets for doors can resolve that too.

Cabin filter intended for dust/particles removal and have no deal with odor or chemicals. The other side - it is a perfect home for bacterias etc. But if you put ionizer/ozonator before filter near internal intake - you can eliminate odors during recirculation and desinfect filter and ducts as well. Currently many manufactures embed ionizers in home air conditioners - why not for car?

Keep in mind battery ventilation reason.

Have a nice breath! 🙂

UPDATE: take in count - active carbon filters requires replacement each 3-6 months, HEPA - 12-18 months.

·
Registered
Iconiq plug in. 2019
17 Posts
It’s part of the heater system so would presume to mean all type iconiq,
It cleans and ioniser incoming air for the heater

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How do I manually turn off the auto recirc from turning itself off?

also the activated carbon does do a much better job of reducing odors from other cars but it’s still there. I’d say reduced by 80%.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Confusing ass directions. Can anyone clarify?
1..turn the HVAC on, if it not already on.
2. Press mode button until it vent out on face level.
3. Press and hold A/C button and rapidly press recirculating button 5 time.
4. The light on the recirculating button will flash 3 times to confirm it will not automatically turn the recirculating mode off.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts