Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this has been already answered. Tried searching but could not find anything around it. I live in a US state (NC) that is not mentioned in the initial states in US where they have said Ioniq5 will be sold. Now can I say buy it and get it delivered to VA and then drive it back and register it in my state by myself? Not sure if that is an option in this case but wanted to get folks thoughts on this.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt, reserved Ioniq 5
454 Posts
Apologies if this has been already answered. Tried searching but could not find anything around it. I live in a US state (NC) that is not mentioned in the initial states in US where they have said Ioniq5 will be sold. Now can I say buy it and get it delivered to VA and then drive it back and register it in my state by myself? Not sure if that is an option in this case but wanted to get folks thoughts on this.
I can't answer specifically for your state or Hyundai. I have done this several time - buy in Oregon and register in Washington. The main thing to check on is if the dealer can sell it to you without paying sales tax as I am sure you will have to pay sales tax in NC when you register it. Call the dealer and ask. Many have experience selling to out of state buyers.

·
Registered
454 Posts
You may not be able to get service at you NC dealer as they probably will not have anyone trained until they are selling the car.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yes. The vehicle is legal to own in any state and a dealer has no residency restrictions. You will likely have to do more legwork for titling, registration, and sales tax payment though. If cars ever show up, I will be heading to Virginia as well.

Of course the oddity in all this is that NC was a state originally named by Hyundai that would have Ioniq 5 to sell at launch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. The vehicle is legal to own in any state and a dealer has no residency restrictions. You will likely have to do more legwork for titling, registration, and sales tax payment though. If cars ever show up, I will be heading to Virginia as well.

Of course the oddity in all this is that NC was a state originally named by Hyundai that would have Ioniq 5 to sell at launch.
Ok. That's good to know. Yes I am ok doing the work for titling, registration and sales tax. I have bought cars out of state before and it was straightforward. The only other concern is servicing as ArizonaJon mentioned.

Did not know NC was a state originally. Wonder why Hyundai pulled it. Might be tied to state level incentives. Ofcourse they have to start selling which right now looks like next year to me even though they said Winter 2021.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Might be tied to state level incentives. Ofcourse they have to start selling which right now looks like next year to me even though they said Winter 2021.
In Arizona, the only incentive we have is reduce property tax when we get our annual license.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Did not know NC was a state originally.
Yes, right in the original press release but the website never matched the press release. As poorly communicated as this process has been I would not be surprised if cars show up at NC dealers but my expectations are zero for that happening :oops:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts