Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying an Ioniq 5 through my business. How is it that looking at the same model with the same options I can get widely varying lease terms? Is it better to go through a local dealer? All advice most welcome.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I have always used whatcar.com to get a comparison of lease prices. Also don't filter on area, I lease mine from Portsmouth and I live in Derbyshire.. they deliver no extra charge and had the best lease price. Not all dealerships are able to apply the same discounts for some reason so keep searching until you find the right price. I can't comment on business leases but my personal lease terms come with mileage options (min 10k/pa), duration (min 2year lease), deposit (min 3months upfront).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not a direct answer to your question, but have you looked into EV salary sacrifice schemes? Seems like you could save around 50% of the cost if you are a higher rate tax payer. Public sector workers in the UK are not allowed to use this (grrrr) but seems open to any other employer.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Not a direct answer to your question, but have you looked into EV salary sacrifice schemes? Seems like you could save around 50% of the cost if you are a higher rate tax payer. Public sector workers in the UK are not allowed to use this (grrrr) but seems open to any other employer.
I'm doing this via salary sacrifice (first time leasing) and it is a rather good deal. Didn't know that about public sector not being able to avail of this. Any reason why? Do they get other benefits to compensate?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Salary sacrifice schemes from an employer usually team up with a leasing company. From my limited experience the deal available involves backhanders of the highest degree.

My company has partnered with Tusker and for a SE Connect, 10k, 2 years is going to affect my net pay by £432/month (bear in mind that the amount Tusker get from my gross is £557!!). I can spend 10 minutes shopping around and get the same car and leasing parameters for £360.

Be very wary about 'partnered' leasing companies.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I have to say the salary sacrifice scheme I have at work for car leasing isn't great.. The quotes have always been higher than dealerships; the schemes do include insurance, tax, mot etc but when I calculated it all it didn't work out to any cheaper.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That makes me feel better about not being allowed, although employers are free to shop around and in my quick research before I realised I couldn't go down this route I saw what looked like reasonable headline figures available - certainly a decent saving for higher rate taxpayers. Like all things, checking the details and shopping around are key. The public sector ruling is basically Government saying that they would be funding this through reduced HMRC takings, so deal with Covid, deliver Net Zero, take your pay freeze and f*ck you to employees. As you can tell, I'm not bitter :mad::rolleyes::D

·
Registered
196 Posts
Guess I'm lucky in that I was told to find a lease that suited me and the company accountant sorts the rest.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
That makes me feel better about not being allowed, although employers are free to shop around and in my quick research before I realised I couldn't go down this route I saw what looked like reasonable headline figures available - certainly a decent saving for higher rate taxpayers. Like all things, checking the details and shopping around are key. The public sector ruling is basically Government saying that they would be funding this through reduced HMRC takings, so deal with Covid, deliver Net Zero, take your pay freeze and f*ck you to employees. As you can tell, I'm not bitter :mad::rolleyes::D
I feel your pain I work in the public sector... so also confused why you say you aren't allowed?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I feel your pain I work in the public sector... so also confused why you say you aren't allowed?
This is the official line from the Treasury:

• The Chief Secretary to the Treasury (CST) is committed to supporting the transition to zero emission vehicles, including through the phasing out of diesel vehicles by 2030.
  • As a standard, salary sacrifice schemes are not permitted in the public sector. Salary sacrifice arrangements mean employees and employers paying less income tax and National Insurance on remuneration and do not, therefore represent best value for the exchequer as a whole. Since new schemes are likely novel and/or contentious, for those bodies covered by Managing Public Money, HMT approval is required before they can be established.
  • The CST has considered the case for allowing public sector employers to facilitate arrangements for employees to acquire zero emission vehicles under a salary sacrifice scheme. However, on the basis that a salary sacrifice scheme is neither the most effective nor value for money way of realising the Government’s commitment to decarbonise transport, approval has not been granted.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Weird... is this recent? I wonder if they are still doing the leases but without the ability to salary sacrifice.. I never used it but I'm sure the company is called Zenyth.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Weird... is this recent? I wonder if they are still doing the leases but without the ability to salary sacrifice.. I never used it but I'm sure the company is called Zenyth.
I've only seen it recently and not sure when it was first announced. I'd bet there are many public sector bodies that have gone down this path without realising they needed to ask permission, especially as there is no cost to the employer. Ask forgiveness later is a great approach to life I find, I just wish I had found a way to get this set up without asking officially.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts