Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Speaking of interior lights, is there any way to stop them from coming on when entering and exiting car? First car I've ever had that seems to not have that option.
On my car, if you flick the roof switch to the 'dome' position, the interior lights don't come on when you unlock and open the door. Once the start button is pressed though, the dome light will illuminate.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Wow, gracias! Found the switch position. It will be a couple of days before I drive again - interested to see what happens when I start and stop.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I was wondering about that too. It would seem like if they had a low tolerance for being switched on and off frequently, they'd be a poor choice for brake lights but they're common there. The upper trims of the Ioniq have LED brake lights and I think most cars have an LED based center brake light.
Sorry I didn't see your comment. The reason LEDs are used for brake light is they switch much faster as there is no thermal inertia. Buy coming on faster its another factor in improving safety margins and increasing the available time to respond t a vehicle barking in front

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
On my car, if you flick the roof switch to the 'dome' position, the interior lights don't come on when you unlock and open the door. Once the start button is pressed though, the dome light will illuminate.
Again, thanks. I mislaid this thread so I didn't followup before. No interior light comes on in the Niro when I push start either. So I'm very happy. The only interior light I don't have full control of is a rear light when I open the hatch. I'm OK with that but a switch would have been better.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Sorry I didn't see your comment. The reason LEDs are used for brake light is they switch much faster as there is no thermal inertia. Buy coming on faster its another factor in improving safety margins and increasing the available time to respond t a vehicle barking in front
I really like LED turn signals. They catch my eye much faster than standard lights so I'm able to react faster and slow the car before brakes are needed. Pretty much the same rationale as for brake lights, decrease reaction time.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'm in the process of removing the stock interior bulbs and replacing them with LEDs. I discovered the users manual is quite deficient in providing bulb sizes that line up with replacements. There are many bulbs I will not be covering here, so please add any here you'd like. :D

Interior Center roof bulb: 31mm Festoon (also reported to be for vanity and trunk lights - not confirmed)

Map lights: T10 (also reported to be for license plate lights - not confirmed)
I went ahead and changed almost all my Ioniq to LED's. I have not changed the vanity because the map lights are so bright now that I don't use the vanity light any longer :)

I can confirm that interior center roof bulb + trunk light can indeed house 31mm festoon.

The map lights and license plate are indeed T10.

I'll have to remember to snap a photo of the trunk light and license plates next time, though here is how the interior looks now. And I did not purchase the brighter LEDs that were available! These are plenty bright!

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Ioniq Electric
18 Posts
I’m switching out mine for LEDs and doing them by light type. So first is all of the 194/T10 bulbs. I got the parking lights, the license plate lights, but when I put in the map lights, both of them had the housing push through when I put the LED’s in. They were working before, but after both popped through, I took the whole map light unit out, realized the housing weren’t put in right as they’re supposed to be inserted and twisted to secure, then reinstalled the unit and put the LED’s in and they don’t work. Old lights don’t work either. Has anyone else had this issue? I cannot figure what could be going on.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I’m switching out mine for LEDs and doing them by light type. So first is all of the 194/T10 bulbs. I got the parking lights, the license plate lights, but when I put in the map lights, both of them had the housing push through when I put the LED’s in. They were working before, but after both popped through, I took the whole map light unit out, realized the housing weren’t put in right as they’re supposed to be inserted and twisted to secure, then reinstalled the unit and put the LED’s in and they don’t work. Old lights don’t work either. Has anyone else had this issue? I cannot figure what could be going on.
Have you checked with a voltmeter that you have 12 volt across the pins for the lights? Maybe the fuse has failed if no voltage? Maybe a faulty ground connection? If you have 12 volt and good ground then the lights should work.

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Ioniq Electric
18 Posts
Have you checked with a voltmeter that you have 12 volt across the pins for the lights? Maybe the fuse has failed if no voltage? Maybe a faulty ground connection? If you have 12 volt and good ground then the lights should work.
I meant to follow up on this. I’m not sure how, but at some point in installing/fixing the mount for the lights, the fuse for the interior lights must have blown. I replaced it with a 20amp for a sunroof I don’t have and everything works fine now. I have to imagine maybe when the housing pushed through, thanks to Hyundai doing a bare minimum job during installation, that caused the fuse to blow.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts