Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of removing the stock interior bulbs and replacing them with LEDs. I discovered the users manual is quite deficient in providing bulb sizes that line up with replacements. There are many bulbs I will not be covering here, so please add any here you'd like. :D

Interior Center roof bulb: 31mm Festoon (also reported to be for vanity and trunk lights - not confirmed)

Map lights: T10 (also reported to be for license plate lights - not confirmed)

Attachments

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm in the process of removing the stock interior bulbs and replacing them with LEDs. I discovered the users manual is quite deficient in providing bulb sizes that line up with replacements. There are many bulbs I will not be covering here, so please add any here you'd like. :D

Interior Center roof bulb: 31mm Festoon (also reported to be for vanity and trunk lights - not confirmed)

Map lights: T10 (also reported to be for license plate lights - not confirmed)
Odd that the interior bulbs are not already LED.

·
Registered
776 Posts
No, not odd at all. Technicians know that LEDS dont like high numbers of switch on/ switch off. Moreover, most Leds work on a lower voltage than 12V which demands additional drivers. Result: more expensive and less fault tolerant. Koreans are strange guys but not stupid.

·
Registered
328 Posts
It is easier to design using existing stock parts instead of creating new parts. They all run on 12V and that is why we still have the 12V battery.

·
Registered
317 Posts
No, not odd at all. Technicians know that LEDS dont like high numbers of switch on/ switch off. Moreover, most Leds work on a lower voltage than 12V which demands additional drivers. Result: more expensive and less fault tolerant. Koreans are strange guys but not stupid.
That's the way I always seen it. Better to keep things simple and go the proven route especially with products as high in volume as these are.

Maybe higher up the range we'll see LED use grow. I could care less, once its bright enough i'm happy.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I would have thought they would have gone with led for the power saving but maybe that is too insignificant in the cabin lights to warrant it over the other concerns?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Power saving is good but its a bit naive to expect this coming from four interior bulbs. The satnav media center is a heavy power consumer. Headlights on the Hybrid premium have bi-xenon. Big savers against H7 halogens. Back lights are Leds in series. No front foglights, are completely useless and save a lot. The 12V lead battery has a capacity of 30 Ah. Enough for normal use. What I dont get is what the welcome lights in the mirrors and door handles contribute to power saving. And that Hyundai seeks savings in a missing bulb in the dashboard cabin. Childish.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have to agree with the comments about not much power savings to warrant the swap-out. These lights get very little use so I doubt theres a whole lot of savings. One may note that I attached a pic of a red led. That was the reason for the swap. I simply don't like bright white cabin lights. It decreases night vision when doors open or a light gets used, simply put, I find them annoying.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I have to agree with the comments about not much power savings to warrant the swap-out. These lights get very little use so I doubt theres a whole lot of savings. One may note that I attached a pic of a red led. That was the reason for the swap. I simply don't like bright white cabin lights. It decreases night vision when doors open or a light gets used, simply put, I find them annoying.
Private pilot, by any chance..? :nerd:

·
Registered
776 Posts
Aahh, a doka (dark chamber) in your Ioniq. You need 100 % tinted glass and firm door locks to preserve your films not being lighted. Anyone plans for a tapas kitchenette in his Ioniq?? LOL. :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
No, not odd at all. Technicians know that LEDS don't like high numbers of switch on/ switch off. Moreover, most Leds work on a lower voltage than 12V which demands additional drivers. Result: more expensive and less fault tolerant. Koreans are strange guys but not stupid.
LEDs are semiconductors and have a fixed voltage drop of around 2 - 2.5 volts across them, generally multiple LEDs are connected in series. Unlike incandescent they can't be connected in parallel with a battery, they require a resistor or some other device to limit the current.

I don't understand your comment about switching and fault tolerance. LEDs are generally switched/pulsed at high frequency, so I'm not sure why switching on/off should be a problem?

It is true LEDs are generally more expensive to buy but they consume a 10th of the power and the lifetime of domestic LEDs is around 25000 hours against 2000 for an incandescent.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did anybody change the middle row lamp? I did change the 2 front map lights to led, but for the middle one, i tried so many festoon but each time it blows my fuse. Please post which one you had success with.

Thanks

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai Ioniq Limited with Ultimate Package
1,094 Posts
I don't understand your comment about switching and fault tolerance. LEDs are generally switched/pulsed at high frequency, so I'm not sure why switching on/off should be a problem?
I was wondering about that too. It would seem like if they had a low tolerance for being switched on and off frequently, they'd be a poor choice for brake lights but they're common there. The upper trims of the Ioniq have LED brake lights and I think most cars have an LED based center brake light.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Speaking of interior lights, is there any way to stop them from coming on when entering and exiting car? First car I've ever had that seems to not have that option.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Speaking of interior lights, is there any way to stop them from coming on when entering and exiting car? First car I've ever had that seems to not have that option.
It never occurred to me that you couldn't. Is there a reason you don't want them to come on?

Not having the usual Door/Off/On switch is safer for me. I used to try to switch those to door and inevitably leave them on On instead.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Jctin
changed my mid interior light canbus festoon 31mm, no problem same bulbs in boot light and courtesy lights behind sun blind! ebay item no. 201687385419
also can confirm front interior lights are same as number plate lights, canbus push fit! ebay item no.201472333153

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
It never occurred to me that you couldn't. Is there a reason you don't want them to come on?
I don't like them and would prefer to control myself when lights are being used. I don't like the extra power draw (small though it may be). I don't like parking in public spaces wanting to be in the dark to see what's going on while I wait for whatever reason in the car - instead everyone else can see that I'm hanging out in the car for the very long lag time of the lights, while I cannot see them. I don't trust them to go out, and if I happen to have a map light on, I won't see that it was left on until I return (if the battery does not go flat). If I need to see something when I exit or enter, it is (or should be) easy enough to turn a light on.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I don't like them and would prefer to control myself when lights are being used. I don't like the extra power draw (small though it may be). I don't like parking in public spaces wanting to be in the dark to see what's going on while I wait for whatever reason in the car - instead everyone else can see that I'm hanging out in the car for the very long lag time of the lights, while I cannot see them. I don't trust them to go out, and if I happen to have a map light on, I won't see that it was left on until I return (if the battery does not go flat). If I need to see something when I exit or enter, it is (or should be) easy enough to turn a light on.
Fair enough. I think they go out fairly quickly when you lock the car so you could potentially do that while you sit there.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts