Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Are all of these occurrences on the 28 kWh version of the car or have there been owners of the 38 KWh version that have reported this? Also, where these wintery conditions? I'm asking, because I once ripped off a Volkswagen Transporter door handle myself, because the door rubbers were frozen solid and the cold made the plastic handle very brittle.
For me it was not wintery condition. A typical sunny day a few weeks ago.
No one even really goes in the back of my car so it was not overuse or clumsy kid etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same happened to me today on my '18 Ionic, only difference front passenger-side handle.
Very basic door opening by me. Broke exact same as the OP.
60 degrees F today - car has always been in the temperature moderate Pacific NW, USA.
Haven't talked to the dealer yet.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My left hand side rear door handle is also the same.

I'll take it to the dealer after lockdown. Has anybody had luck with a dealer replacing under warranty?

Thanks

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yes, my dealer is new to me but did the service a month earlier. I just asked him to help and mentioned it broke at the captive nut, which expands and contracts differently to the plastic. I've never had the same problem in 40+ yrs driving. A sale failed as the salesman pulled a handle off. It's a design fault.

Also check out the video of a Hyundai special test car in cold conditions on the other thread. The rear section had already come off, they taped it up and laughed their heads off when the rest of the handle pulled out. Not good with Hyundai plastered down the side of the car win 30cm high letters.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I bought a 2019 ioniq hybrid 1.5 weeks ago and then this happened when I tried to open the drivers side rear door for the first time; it flew off when I pulled the handle.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Design fault, if you pull the handle ever so slightly backwards it hits the rear triangle section and that breaks off at the weak point. That's the imprint you'll see of the captive nut.

Some manufacturers have the handle parts at a 45' angle to the rear of the car. The other design fault is that the front of the handle is lose at its front tip, so can't help moving backwards.

Get the dealer to order one and paint to match before you drop the car off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My rear passenger handle has also dropped off whilst driving on motorway today. Really annoyed. It's a 2017reg.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts