Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
“If I wanted a 2-door saloon I’d have bought one”?
Or at the risk of members throwing up all over the forum; “are you qualified to handle superglue?”...

·
Registered
569 Posts
You might be surprised how well glue can hold. In the 70's had an MG TC send a rod through the block. I salvaged the chunk it knock out, cleaned up all the metal and glued the chunk back in with JB Weld. Then rebuilt the engine. Years later the MG was still running! It may still be running somewhere.

·
Registered
'17 Marina Blue HEV Ltd I O N I Q since 25 Jul '17
1,825 Posts
I suppose it could be considered a "wearable" part, but really, aren't they designed to withstand years of use? And they can't even cover a 33 quid job? That seems rather out of place...

·
Registered
569 Posts
I suppose it could be considered a "wearable" part, but really, aren't they designed to withstand years of use? And they can't even cover a 33 quid job? That seems rather out of place...
I feel that is what gives dealers such a poor reputation. They did part of it right by getting the vehicle back on the road, BUT they should have ordered the part and made him an appointment to come in when the part was in and install it free of charge. That would be good customer relations.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I am sure there was another member with a bust door handle on here about a year back ??
Yes. Me. Identical circumstances, even down to asking the dealer and them offering to glue it for me...

Did it myself in the end, never had a another problem with it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just come back from the said dealer SEvans. Politely told them where they can stick the part [no pun intended] that they ordered in for me and explained to them that they are not the only Hyundai Dealer in the area and that in future, all my servicing needs, maintenance needs and my next car order, which will be 3 cars in the next 24 months will be sourced elsewhere! Nothing personal I explained, but the 'Technician' that assessed the damage has cost the company a huge amount of good will for the sake of £30! Did they care............not in the slightest.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Just come back from the said dealer SEvans. Politely told them where they can stick the part [no pun intended] that they ordered in for me and explained to them that they are not the only Hyundai Dealer in the area and that in future, all my servicing needs, maintenance needs and my next car order, which will be 3 cars in the next 24 months will be sourced elsewhere! Nothing personal I explained, but the 'Technician' that assessed the damage has cost the company a huge amount of good will for the sake of £30! Did they care............not in the slightest.
And that's the reason you have to get-on with the dealer. So they go the extra mile without being threatened.
All to often it's counter-productive to the dealers who DON'T spend their time keeping an eye on one-make fora to identify a problem they could have done better to solve. Remind us again which dealer it was..? Part of a chain?

We really must get into the habit of naming and shaming, or naming and praising, as needed... I've got my car booked into Richmond Hyundai in Southampton on Saturday and I was promised a call beforehand to discuss any issues that aren't on the service schedule. I am going to remind them of the Firmware needing updating, but they haven't rung so far - and tomorrow is Thursday so the last practical day for ordering of parts that might come up from such a phone call. We'll see...

I work in an industry where you simply MUST call back at the agreed date and time, even if you have nothing to tell them.
So it won't come as a surprise that it's a personal and professional bugbear of mine if somebody promises a call and it doesn't happen... :|

·
Registered
525 Posts
We really must get into the habit of naming and shaming, or naming and praising, as needed... I've got my car booked into Richmond Hyundai in Southampton on Saturday and I was promised a call beforehand to discuss any issues that aren't on the service schedule. I am going to remind them of the Firmware needing updating, but they haven't rung so far - and tomorrow is Thursday so the last practical day for ordering of parts that might come up from such a phone call. We'll see... :|
I agree. Thus far I’m very happy with Read Hyundai at Kings Lynn. They will ring, email or text to confirm appointments and requirements and follow up in the same way afterwards. Vehicle comes back clean and tidy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Apologies for dredging this message from the depths of 2018, but over the weekend my 18 registered Ioniq had exactly the same door handle failure as detailed by the OP. Will be contacting my local dealer to see what they recommend.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not an ioinq owner yet, but took a test drive in an 18 plate last weekend in brum. Dealer opened the offside rear door and the plastic/chrome part of the handle fell off. Then the rest of the handle came off as well for good measure. Walked away at that point.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys
Rear Offside Door Handle came away in my hand this morning.
Obviously will contact my local Hyundai Dealer on Monday morning, but really curious if any body else has had this happen to them........
Yea ,the triangular piece on the passenger back door handle has just fallen off our ionic,,,we have just realised it’s missing.No idea where or when it fell off,car is only 2yrs old.
Interesting to see how my Hyundai garage will deal with it when I rock up in the morning.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Let us know what they say, please.

Reactions: AdamInKent

·
Registered
113 Posts
I know dealers must have some sort of logic to not to the right thing for their customers, but for the life of me I’ll never understand it. it was nice that they glued it on but for the few extra dollars and a bit of time you would be telling everyone that would listen what a great job they did. Maybe that would lead to more sales maybe not. But not being more responsible for the products they sell and service guarantees them none. I just don’t know when word of mouth marketing died.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm another rear door handle casualty. You could see where the metal insert split the plastic so probably was barely holding on there since new.
As I didn't really want a trip to the dealer during COVID, I bypassed them and epoxy glued it back together myself. Been about 4 or 5 weeks now and still holding.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are all of these occurrences on the 28 kWh version of the car or have there been owners of the 38 KWh version that have reported this? Also, where these wintery conditions? I'm asking, because I once ripped off a Volkswagen Transporter door handle myself, because the door rubbers were frozen solid and the cold made the plastic handle very brittle.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts