Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
dealer only, unfortunately
Shame. Thought ELM327 may have assisted with that one, cheers again.
No, unfortunately it does not for the Ioniq. Limited number of sensors and not one regarding software versions in the ECU/ECM. You need Hyundai diagnose equipment for that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Jolt & mechanical brake noise when starting or stoping

Greetings from Geneva !

I love all aspect of my new IONIQ but I'm just a tiny bit annoyed by the jolt and noise made by the mechanical brakes when the car stops and starts.

It seems to be a general characteristic as I spotted it on a youtube video :
  • Shoe/discs noise and jolt of the car at 1m43s
  • Jolt again (going backward) at and 1m50s
Is it normal ? It kind of shakes the whole car and people inside.
Is the braking getting smoother and more silent when the brakes gets older (my ioniq ev is 1500km old)?
Can it be fixed mechanically or by newer software or avoided anyhow ?

Thank you for you precious answers.
Marco

https://youtu.be/3uQcOAMckNI?t=1m39s

·
Registered
180 Posts
@Romondo, 'Creaking brake syndrome' is more common than one would think, and not limited to the Ioniq. My Jetta TDI did the same thing and seemed to be dependent upon the type of pads being used. Does it do it when in reverse as well?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hello Ramondo!!

May I ask you if it is your first time with an automatic car? I tell you this because for me is my first time with it and at the beginning, when I am stopping the car, I didn't step to strong on the brake, so of course the car is in "D" mode and wants to move forward, so it start to make a sound. Just step a little harder on the brake when stopped and let see if is not this.

Hope is nothing. Keep us informed about this noise that you have with the brakes.

Best regards
Ola! Sorry for late reply. Yes, first auto so maybe you have a point but 7 months later still have the same problem. First service this week so will mention it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi I have the same problem on my 6 month old ioniq hybrid.took it to my local hyundai dealer who had it for 6 hours.final analysis they phoned hyundai directly who said there is no fault just a quirk of the car !!??? So I'm thinking once people start hearing this (As it's really loud on the outside of the car)and look at the make and model I can honestly see Joe public giving these a wide birth.its a great car but let down by this very annoying loud noise it's really disconcerting to the point of is it safe ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just got a 2017 Hybrid and the first thing I noticed was a really pronounced creak when you come down/up lightly on the breaks. It's kinda loud, especially when my partner drives the car and I'm outside (waving bye bye like a nice man) I can really hear the sound of the brake creak

Any updates on what to do, if there's a fix etc? Raymondo didn't seem to report back after his service

Pretty much this:

·
Registered
382 Posts
I just got a 2017 Hybrid and the first thing I noticed was a really pronounced creak when you come down/up lightly on the breaks.
The car has a 'creep mode' to emulate a normal automatic transmission, where it engages the electric motor at a low speed just before the brakes fully release. If you are slow to engage or disengage the brakes they'll still be gripping a little bit as the motor turns the drive wheels and you may get some vibration in the pads depending on their compound, state of wear, and the amount of rust on the brake discs.

Since the mechanical brakes do so little in these cars (recall that unless you're braking heavily it's just regen down to the last few km/h of speed) there's often a light layer of rust on the discs that can make this noise more prevalent. Try putting the car in neutral before stopping so that it's just the mechanical brakes doing all the work, after two or three brake applications from 50 km/h or so to full stop with the car in neutral this thin layer of rust is scrubbed away and this noise will hopefully be gone. (Then you don't need to do the neutral braking thing anymore.)

Best of luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I actually think it might just be the rear seat and not the breaks, gonna slap some gaffer tape on the hook like the other threads mention and see if it fixes anything

21 - 33 of 33 Posts