Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Must be my driving style but I get an annoying creak as the car starts forward after stopping at say, traffic lights or in slow traffic. It's like a slipping clutch - Is this a feature of the car and is it something that the garage can fix or do I adopt a more racy approach to driving off? Anyone else so affected?

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
There is a fix in the form of different brake return springs. Ask your dealer.

·
Registered
811 Posts
My dealer told me if they were to fix it, it would return within 3 months?
Then tell our dealer you will be back in 3 months for them to fix it again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Must be my driving style but I get an annoying creak as the car starts forward after stopping at say, traffic lights or in slow traffic. It's like a slipping clutch - Is this a feature of the car and is it something that the garage can fix or do I adopt a more racy approach to driving off? Anyone else so affected?
Hello Ramondo!!

May I ask you if it is your first time with an automatic car? I tell you this because for me is my first time with it and at the beginning, when I am stopping the car, I didn't step to strong on the brake, so of course the car is in "D" mode and wants to move forward, so it start to make a sound. Just step a little harder on the brake when stopped and let see if is not this.

Hope is nothing. Keep us informed about this noise that you have with the brakes.

Best regards

·
Registered
74 Posts
One of the only things that bothers me is the brakes. Mine always clunking and slipping too. Only workaround seems to be pressing a little harder on them than other cars but then you have a jolt of course, so it's picking the lesser of two evils lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
One of the only things that bothers me is the brakes. Mine always clunking and slipping too. Only workaround seems to be pressing a little harder on them than other cars but then you have a jolt of course, so it's picking the lesser of two evils lol
Yep, you are right. Takes time to master the brakes. After some changes I reduce a lot the jolt effect.. But practice make the expert, isn't it?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yep, you are right. Takes time to master the brakes. After some changes I reduce a lot the jolt effect.. But practice make the expert, isn't it?
Exactly. Figured I'd give it until the first service is due, see if I've mastered the technique by then. Feeling is though, that Hyundai could improve the transition between regen and friction brakes maybe.

·
Super Moderator
8,218 Posts
the long travel seems to be to make it easier for gentle braking, I find no issues with transition from regen to mechanical braking, but I do find once the speed drops off there seems to be a bit of creep from the motor

it is fun if like me you swap between the Ioniq and another car (wifes skoda citigo) which has a lot shorter gas and brake travel ( and a clutch and manual gearbox)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yeah imagine switching cars all the time would be a nightmare. Deffo gentle braking = creaking for me though :-D

·
Registered
74 Posts
is that the graunch you get with light braking pedal and car trying to creep with the electric motor
Wouldn't say so, more just the pads gripping when coming to a standstill. Bit of a noise if you release too gently as well. It's silent if I get the sweet spot of creep and brake so it's just barely moving.

·
Super Moderator
8,218 Posts
So what are people saying? The noise is normal? I have gotten it too.
yep, it is the electric motor just creeping the car against the brakes as you stop or creep forward slowly, you soon get used to avoiding that specific brake pressure and either apply a little more or less so you don't get the noise

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
yep, it is the electric motor just creeping the car against the brakes as you stop or creep forward slowly, you soon get used to avoiding that specific brake pressure and either apply a little more or less so you don't get the noise
Yes. I came from a traditional automatic (CVT) to a Ioniq. The experience at creeping speeds, slow start and stop, is very different. I had to learn how to cope, or feel comfortable. It's different, above all.

The way an Ioniq handles very low speeds isn't what I would call perfect. Coming from a CVT is may feel clunky.

But this is a very minor thing. You always have to learn your car's behaviour, in edge case, especially. There's no actual problem. Now, I prefer how the Ioniq works. CVT cars "overdo" things at those low speeds, while "underdo" it's task when accelerating.

Reactions: Kingoff

·
Registered
74 Posts
yep, still a few tweaks needed for the hybrid drive system software / firmware, but the car has only been out a year,

the firmware update mine had was apparently for cold start issues, but other things were fixed in there as well
Is there any way to check the firmware level or is that just a dealer thing? Thanks

1 - 20 of 33 Posts