Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Anyone have any issues with brake binding on the back wheels after parking over night.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I get a slight rubbing when I back out of garage in mornings I put it down to rust film building up on brake discs due to the wet weather.
I tend to leave the car in park with handbrake off in the garage.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brake Binding

That seems to be what I get as well mostly on the back right wheel, had this on an accent that owned, dealer said as you that it was rust on the discs. Hope it is not an inherent problem.

·
Registered
176 Posts
What do I know?

Ever since driving a car with disk brakes, I "dry the brakes" after washings. I've always assumed that a slight rust could form even over night.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
I'm getting the clunking that bluecar describes though it's continual in my case . I'll have a word with the dealer about it when I pop in about my squeaky driver's door

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
the squeaky door is easy

a bit of rubber lubricant / silicon spray on the inside of the big black rubber bit just below the wing mirror and a bit on the paintwork it touches solves the squeak

this seems to be becoming a common problem
Thanks bluecar1 doesn't really bother me ,but I'll try it . I also get a rattling glovebox when I go do the drive to my wife's place of work , especially . My last car did exactly the same . A strategically placed piece of felt should cure that though .

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have also a rubbing sound from the brakes when I make a left turn. It is worst in the morning. I noticed it (even worse) also in the demo car when I did a test drive in November. The dealer said that two of his four demo Ioniqs had this issue. I will let them look at it next time I am at the dealership. I have also a small issue with the climate control (see other thread) so they can do it all at once.

·
Registered
28 Posts
the squeaky door is easy

a bit of rubber lubricant / silicon spray on the inside of the big black rubber bit just below the wing mirror and a bit on the paintwork it touches solves the squeak

this seems to be becoming a common problem
I've got squeaky door as well yesterday: it was foggy and humid. I'll give a try with the silicon spry

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Brake rubbing or binding on back brakes.

Update on brake binding. It appears that Hyundai have issued a recall on Ioniq for this problem, I had mine in with my main dealer and he said that there is an issue with a spring on the back brakes that needs to be changed. They said that they would call me when the required part is shipped from Hyundai. Has anyone else noticed this pr0blem or reported it to their dealer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Update on brake binding. It appears that Hyundai have issued a recall on Ioniq for this problem, I had mine in with my main dealer and he said that there is an issue with a spring on the back brakes that needs to be changed. They said that they would call me when the required part is shipped from Hyundai. Has anyone else noticed this pr0blem or reported it to their dealer.
I have the same problem with mine. Its not there all the time, just now and then. The Hyundai dealer told me that Hyundai had issued a bulletin with a fix for the problem. I am just waiting on a call to take mine in. I have heard that swapping the pads with the ones used in the Hybrid fixes the noise or chamfering the rear edge of the pads, or replacing the springs.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Mine's going in Friday to have it checked . Hopefully that bulletin will have filtered through to them

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Brakes sticking after getting wet and parked is common on just about every car with disk brakes (absent ceramic rotors). I would have expected the Ioniq not to experience this though because it is supposed to have low drag calipers that fully retract off the disk.

·
Registered
189 Posts
This sounds like it's a problem on both the hybrid and EV but might more of one on the EV.

Gathered from another article found from the link that Alien-S posted yesterday:

The Ioniq has both conventional and electronic brakes. The physical brakes (discs & pads) only operate at low speeds. At all faster speeds pressing the brake pedal will cause the electric motor (engine) to become a generator and this ‘regeneration’ creates a significant braking force as it puts power back into the battery.
Helpful hint: Because the physical brakes are used so little they can accumulate debris/rust and make scratching/squeeking noises when the car first drives off. It’s nothing to be concerned about and usually stops after the first couple of uses.

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
I also had this with my Prius Plug In when I did not use it for a few days. By just braking a few times it was cured.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It’s nothing to be concerned about and usually stops after the first couple of uses. Apparently it is something to be concerned about as Hyundai are to issue a recall for this problem.

·
Registered
134 Posts
As both EV and hybrid have air intakes next to the DRLs to direct airflow around the wheels for greater aerodynamic efficiency and to also cool the brakes is this causing more wet air to spray on to the brake discs than in normal cars.? Although all car brake discs normally get a build up of rust which can make them bind perhaps it is more inherent due the increased airflow around the brakes?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts