Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2017 VW Passat Estate Diesel (omg!)
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Still haven't heard it, but based on feedback here and YouTube video (yeah really) I'm confident it will sound good. Not a B&W from an XC90 but I'm coming from a stock VW Passat system which i actually enjoy, so will be better :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am disappointed with the Bose system. To me it lacks any depth, is lifeless with no detail, particularly for classical music. I've tried tweaking the equaliser settings but haven't found a decent compromise yet. I'm hoping that once the speakers bed in the sound will open up.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Strange that: my son has just bought a new Mazda CX30. The Bose system is phenomenal. I sat in the rear offside, and listened to the whole of Saint-Saëns' organ symphony whilst on the motorway at 70mph. Contrasts, nuances, separation etc were excellent. And of course volume as necessary. Same system in my old Audi TT, though the Mazda was marginally better.

Cymro

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was certainly expecting more. The sound is just so muddy and flat - I can't seem to bring any life into it. It sounds artificial and overly controlled to the point it loses all detail. Mine is at the dealer atm but i'll keep playing around with it and hopefully get it to open up over time. If not I'll consider replacing some of the components. That contrasts with the B&O system in my partners Audi which is much better. Admittedly there's nearly double the amount of speakers and they seem to be positioned better. That system still struggles a touch with clear, tight base but the highs and mids are nice.

Do you have the Bose in your I5? Have you played with the equaliser settings at all?

·
Registered
257 Posts
The Bose system on my Ultimate is OK, but not Wow.

I had the audio system upgraded on another car (not EV), replaced the 4 factory speakers with Morel units (not very expensive ones, BTW), and fitted a flat subwoofer in the boot, plus dynamat sound proofing in the doors. It's a pretty conservative audio upgrade by all acounts, and yet the sound quality is noticeably better than the 7-speaker Bose system on the IONIQ 5, with the Morels producing very crisp treble (which is how I like it...).

That said, the Bose system's sound quality isn't poor by any stretch of the imagination, and does not justify me trying to meddle with it. I'd say it's decent, but not great.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeh, with those settings and as a bit as an audiophile i can tell you its not that bad. For example I love The Cure and due to some epic bass lines i thought they would be a good test. The bass with treble and bass turned up sounded really clear and crisp. Its not going to sounds as good as a decent home music system, but its not terrible for a car.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD Ultimate Tech+Eco Cyber Grey
89 Posts
I was certainly expecting more. The sound is just so muddy and flat - I can't seem to bring any life into it. It sounds artificial and overly controlled to the point it loses all detail.
Having had my I5 for a few days now (with the Bose system), I have to completely agree with @benemos - although it doesn't sound bad, it's one of the few things about the car I'm a bit disappointed with.

I have spent ages tweaking the equaliser and positioning to try and make it sound better but no matter what I do it just seems a bit 'muffled' as though there are cushions covering the speakers. Increasing the treble just makes it sound harsh and tinny.

I'm far from an audiophile, but can't help but feel the bog standard system in my 10 year old Jag XF sounded so much better. Maybe it is due to me being seated much higher in the I5 and the sound seems to be down by my feet that's causing this, but I really hope given a bit of time they may 'brighten' up a bit?

Love the car otherwise though! :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just to add to my previous post, it does sound excellent with dance music though for any bass heads out there!

Anything requiring more detail (classical, rock, indie etc) just sounds flat IMHO.

·
Registered
2021 Project 45
120 Posts
Quite happy with its performance with techno podcasts, with treble and bass both +2.

Definitely not an audiophile though, obviously, I just need it to do “doof doof doof” well enough! 😂

·
Registered
5 Posts
Like most posters here I would say the Bose system in my Ultimate is ok but not exceptional. I am surprised there is little audio control, only treble, mid and bass, plus the dynamic volume control. However I do like that in a very tech orientated modern car with a complex software driven control interface, they kept the rotary volume control and on off switch. Love it!

·
Registered
Audi S4 & H2 SX SE
212 Posts
I was not expecting the Bose system to be anything to get excited about, I find it hard to beat the B&O system in my S4 so I have already accepted that since I am planning to buy the LR RWD version it may not even come with the Bose system

·
Registered
89 Posts
Having spent more time playing around with this last night, I found the Bose system sounds very good when you crank it up to really high volumes (3/4 to max) - it's almost too loud but the detail and 'brightness' I thought was missing at lower volumes is much clearer when you get to anti-social levels! There's hardly any distortion as well. So the Bose system is capable of sounding very good, just not at lower volumes.

It's almost as though it needs a 'Loudness' option like car stereos from 20 years ago which boosted the equalizer to sound better at lower volumes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I wonder if the design is based on the environment in an ICE car where it would naturally be set at a higher volume due to engine noise. In an extremely quiet car with the volume low it will lose the highs and lows (subjectively I mean) due to the way our hearing works. Google Fletcher Munson loudness curves for details.

·
Registered
2017 VW Passat Estate Diesel (omg!)
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Having spent more time playing around with this last night, I found the Bose system sounds very good when you crank it up to really high volumes (3/4 to max) - it's almost too loud but the detail and 'brightness' I thought was missing at lower volumes is much clearer when you get to anti-social levels! There's hardly any distortion as well. So the Bose system is capable of sounding very good, just not at lower volumes.

It's almost as though it needs a 'Loudness' option like car stereos from 20 years ago which boosted the equalizer to sound better at lower volumes.
Could that be the loudness of the source that needs some cranking up? (BT, USB)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Could that be the loudness of the source that needs some cranking up? (BT, USB)
I did think that, the volume on my phone via Bluetooth was at maximum (also tried lower volume) but it made no difference.

USB is just a simple USB stick so can't do much with that!

It sounds the same with DAB and FM radio also.

I think the 'problem' is with the Bose system, it's not bad, it's just not great!

41 - 60 of 74 Posts