Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2017 VW Passat Estate Diesel (omg!)
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Can anyone share their experiences with the BOSE audio?
I'm not that interested in the bass but more the mid and high tones and especially so with classical music.
Is it any good?

·
Registered
266 Posts
It is hard to say as each implementation is unique. Hyundai gets to choose the grade of speaker and speaker placement, amplifier, etc. A 7 speaker + subwoofer system can sound good. For the crispness you get in classical music you need very good tweeters.

Hyundai is very opaque about the details of their Bose audio system. So much so I don’t expect it is high end, but instead upper middle tier.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi all,

Can anyone share their experiences with the BOSE audio?
I'm not that interested in the bass but more the mid and high tones and especially so with classical music.
Is it any good?
Just went for a test drive. Speakers are more than loud enough. But Bose has its own bass emphasis generally as well, so some audiophiles hate it. Very quiet drive as well

oh and the Bose system takea up some trunk space in the back underneath reducing room if u really need it

·
Registered
204 Posts
Just went for a test drive. Speakers are more than loud enough. But Bose has its own bass emphasis generally as well, so some audiophiles hate it. Very quiet drive as well

oh and the Bose system takea up some trunk space in the back underneath reducing room if u really need it
When you say the bass unit takes up space, you mean under the flat base, right? It doesn't eat into the trunk space above the baseboard.

·
Registered
72 Posts
When you say the bass unit takes up space, you mean under the flat base, right? It doesn't eat into the trunk space above the baseboard.
Yes, under the flat base. Left was the emergency cable as well as the v2l adapter. Right was the tire repair kit. Middle is a bump and sound isolation cover that went over the subwoofer

We were trying to see if we could get more room if needed

·
Registered
11 Posts
Anyone has experience with the Bose system regarding audio quality?
My Mazda MX5 convertible has a Bose sound system in it and in that application, it was the worse sounding system that I have owned up till that time. I pre-ordered the Ioniq 5 Limited and it comes with an 8 speaker Bose sound system. Many auto journalist had already stated that the 14 speakers Meridian sound system in the new Kia EV6 is much better than the Ioniq 5's Bose. Oh well...

·
Read Only
6 Posts
BOSE is not held in high regard by hi-fi enthusiasts. It strikes me that car manufacturers are selling an "upgrade" to a perceived (by some) big name system over a usually OK standard sound system.
After all, we are sitting in a car's interior that is limiting and hardly conducive to even half decent music reproduction.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Some on the VW id forum were writing on their undertaking of replacing their no-name branded speakers. Many mentioned the difficulty with removing the door panel and not breaking the ambient lighting systems.

I suspect this would be an issue with the i5 as well.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 rwd 73 kw on order, expected 30/11
51 Posts
The Brand of the speaker isnt everything. My brother used to work at pss and they make about 40% of all car speakers and audio systems in Europe (and also in the USA). Low end but even more high end. They deliver the non branded speaker systems, but also everything denon, harman kardon, B&W, they make Sony car audio systems for Ford. almost all BMW cars have their speakers, also PSA, Ford, Fiat-chrysler,…. it depends on how much the car maker wants good audio, and how much it can cost! and then they deliver that quality….. The branding of bose, Sony,… just marketing…

·
Registered
Audi S4 & H2 SX SE
212 Posts
What are possible cost effective upgrades we can make to improve upon the BOSE system? I would enjoy good sound (though most of my listening is podcasts) but not willing to spend too much.
Sound deadening and typically speaker/tweeter replacement, amp depending how loud you need. I have the long range preferred rwd on order here in Canada , from my understanding it does not get the Bose system. I can tell you to date unless we are talking recent late model cars I have found little to date than can compare to my 2012 S4 B&O Sound system, it really is excellent. My wife 18 C43 AMG does not match it imho, it is really good. My brother w same car agrees even his 19 Jaguar F-Type no comparison, his Q7 is decent and LR M3 is okay he says but the 12 S4 is best. I am already accepting fact it will just have to do as I will not be spending more cash on speakers any time soon

·
Registered
2017 VW Passat Estate Diesel (omg!)
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've test driven a few EVs and had quite a few replacement cars (both low an high trim) from VW group, and even with their DYNAUDIO, even Polestar, were worse than my stock VW Passat audio (not DYNAUDIO). Only the Harman Kardon in an XC40 was slightly better because of the surround effect, but was much (!) worse for classical music.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Audio sounds crisp and clear. Radio on DAB is a little quite but from andriod auto/Apple car play {Apple music n Amazon Music} and usb audio (file quality permitting) all sounds pretty good. Nice and crisp and plenty of range. Nothing vibrates or rattles and you can enjoy the sounds. Only comment from drivers position mind and you do have the extra speaker to the right of the display that may help vs the rest of the car. Not sat in back to check sound as Im driving it n dont care! :)

I have expereinced Mini/bmw/skoda 'upgraded sound systems' and this sounds as good if not better since you dont have any back ground noise to fight with. The sound adjustment setting may be a little too much as it increases the sound more than you expect since hte car is quite vs combustion.

...one mod I recommend straight away if you put on a new plate, drop the black plate mount on the front.... much better look.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts