Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I decided to see if the horn/lights feature of the bluelink app worked while the car is operating.

It does! From 10 miles away! :ROFLMAO:

My fiance didn't find it quite as amusing as I did but I cleaned the house so I think she'll still marry me.

For those who don't have this feature, it activates the horn and blinks the lights for 30 seconds or so.

·
Registered
228 Posts
This is actually concerning. You said that the car was operating. What gear was it in? Was it in motion at that moment?

·
Registered
527 Posts
This is actually concerning. You said that the car was operating. What gear was it in? Was it in motion at that moment?
Why is it concerning? I suppose the app requires credentials to use it. Not sure how hack proof it is, but even if it is hacked, hopefully it doesn’t allow the hacker to take control of vital systems of the car.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Even if hackers cannot take over vital car functions (starting engine remotely?.. stopping it?..) they could distract the driver at a critical moment. Driver distraction is a major cause of collisions, some fatal.

That is why it matters of the car was in Park, and if not, if it was actually moving. That would be a dangerous time to distract or alarm the driver.

It could be the difference between an annoying prank and reckless endangerment. Even if the car is in Park, there is potential for harassment by remote.

It does not sound like this was your intention. You thought that you were having harmless fun. I would still respectfully suggest thinking through the consequences and how the target person might feel before doing anything like this.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Hmm.. I can’t disagree with your arguments. On the other hand it wasn’t a hacker pulling the prank, just a mischievous boyfriend. As long as hackers don’t set their minds to break into bluelink just to toot their own horn, we should be okay.

·
Registered
2017 Marina Blue HEV Ltd I O N I Q since 25 July '17
1,782 Posts
I suppose it's relatively safe now. I remember hearing a few years back that connected vehicles could be easily hacked and was somewhat almost relieved that the Ioniq didn't come with BlueLink in Canada, when I bought mine.

However, just came across this article which is somewhat reassuring:

I think so far hackers have mostly stayed away from connected vehicles, but as more and more care become connected, that could change.

Of course, I'm always reminded of the Doctor Who episode (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sontaran_Stratagem#Plot) where all cars in London were being fitted with the ATMOS navigation system, which, as would go in a Who story, went absolutely wrong at some point along the way. The systems literally could take over the the driving to steer you into the Themes or fill the cabin with carbon dioxide, while locking you in.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Glad to hear that Hyundai fixed those bugs. Let’s hope there are no others.

As for plunging cars into rivers, Google Maps is clearly working towards this advanced functionality - starting with stranding drivers in a muddy field :)

(Not funny for the drivers, though, I suspect.)

In my experience, nav programs/apps even have a hard time getting you out of mall parking lots at the right exit. And you try to detour around a closed road, Google Maps often brings you right back to the blocked intersection :-(

I, for one, prefer human taxi drivers. If they make a mistake, you can tell them or they realize it and change course rather than getting stuck in an infinite loop.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Glad to hear that Hyundai fixed those bugs. Let’s hope there are no others.

As for plunging cars into rivers, Google Maps is clearly working towards this advanced functionality - starting with stranding drivers in a muddy field :)

(Not funny for the drivers, though, I suspect.)

In my experience, nav programs/apps even have a hard time getting you out of mall parking lots at the right exit. And you try to detour around a closed road, Google Maps often brings you right back to the blocked intersection :-(

I, for one, prefer human taxi drivers. If they make a mistake, you can tell them or they realize it and change course rather than getting stuck in an infinite loop.
All of which proves that drivers need to be alert about what and where they are going, and where the satnav whats to send them.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The car was in drive but at a light. I was on the phone with her at the time. There was no danger. I didn't actually expect it to work since the function is designed to find the car. Obviously, if the car is on and in drive, it's been found.

I did also try the engine stop function remotely and that doesn't work. When I tested that, I was parked and sitting in the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts