Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to put a bike in the back of the car with the rear seats folded flat? Do you need to take the front wheel off to do it or will it go in with both wheels attached?

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
I think Jan Treur has a picture of that in one of his earlier posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Bodies and bags of Lyme but never cycles, sorry.
Now, are you just stacking the bags and the bodies, or are you cutting the bodies into smaller pieces first for maximum usage of the space? Are these regular adult sized bodies, or children too?

We already know you're still getting awesome MPG even with some additional weight in the back per other posts.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Has anyone tried to put a bike in the back of the car with the rear seats folded flat? Do you need to take the front wheel off to do it or will it go in with both wheels attached?
The easy way to do it in the smallest hatchbacks (with the seats down), is to put it in the back front wheel first, and turn the front wheel into the footwell. I've owned both a Datsun (Nissan) B210 and a Honda CRX, both very small indeed and had no trouble with bicycles. Of course, neither of these had head restraints. Depending on your front seat position, or just ease of putting a bicycle into the car and removing it, you may have to remove the appropriate rear seat head restraint (some may refer to it as a head restraint). Depending on your bike, it may be easier just to remove the front wheel (more hassle if the bike doesn't have quick release wheels and no US lawyer lips on the dropouts). Most of my bikes have fenders so removing the front wheel doesn't save much space.

In my current car, a PT Cruiser, I can put the bike in upright, leaving an amazing amount of room in the back (I often sleep in my car on trips - oh, and the rear seats are out). I still have to turn the front wheel though - takes a midsized or better SUV or van to not have to turn the wheel. I tried a Honda Fit once and it fits into that rather short car upright without removing anything with the same technique. At some point in the near future when the Ioniq is at nearby dealers, I will test how the bicycle goes into a demo car. I don't think it will go in upright in the Ioniq, but it is possible it will if the saddle is lowered, which may be an acceptable amount of hassle.

I'll do the same exercise in the Niro in the same day (more likely to go in upright than the Ioniq). I've looked at a Niro demo, and it certainly looks like the head restraint needs to be removed for ease of putting in a bicycle.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Bodies and bags of Lyme but never cycles, sorry.
Now, are you just stacking the bags and the bodies, or are you cutting the bodies into smaller pieces first for maximum usage of the space? Are these regular adult sized bodies, or children too?
It would seem to me easier to have a full sized Lyme vat than to cut bodies into pieces. Double work. Plenty of room in the Ioniq with the seats down to leave the bodies full sized.

That's just me of course, you are perhaps used to carting bodies in your S2000. If that's so, I can appreciate your perspective.

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
This is how my big 29 inch wheel mountainbike fits, without adjusting it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Well I obviously can't say anymore without incriminating myself but they are definitely in one piece, might have to bend a leg or arm but very spacious, enough for atleast 5 bodies stacked.. adults obviously, I'm not a monster. >.<

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
This is how my big 29 inch wheel mountainbike fits, without adjusting it.
Impressive..

am I the only one who laughed when reading that? ... "this is how my big 29 inch fits" >:) sorry.. don't know what's got into me.. :| .....and it gets worse.

*puts down ipad*

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
I am surprised, I thought you British were supposed to conserve all taboos from the past, but now it seems I am mistaken, considering also the Stared longingly thread...

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
With all this talk of stacking bodies in the back of an Ioniq, I'll not have any problem fitting a bike in, or even two! ?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Yep.. can fit atleast 29inches apparently ..

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
I'm jealous. Mine's only 26 inches. But it's how you ride it that counts!
The 29 inch wheels ride more smooth on rough trails, but I also have full suspension.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts