Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
One more step, be sure the Hyundai plan is your default plan! Even after signing up, my old plan was still set as the default plan.
When I go to View Plans - it shows
1. Electrify America Pass (default is displayed in grey)
2. Hyundai Select

There is no way to figure or set default plan it seems. At the end of signing up it displayed message about using this plan as default from now on, though.

·
Registered
647 Posts
When I go to View Plans - it shows
1. Electrify America Pass (default is displayed in grey)
2. Hyundai Select

There is no way to figure or set default plan it seems. At the end of signing up it displayed message about using this plan as default from now on, though.
That makes sense if you only have an Hyundai. If you also had a Taycan or some other EV, then perhaps you'd get the option.

·
Registered
80 Posts
DISCLAIMER :) This is not in support of EA, rather "just cookin 2 sides of a pancake" as they say, here in the South (US).

Yes, Hyundai select is $0.35/min which is ridiculously higher than EvGO ($0.30) and our local power company ($0.25). Judging from Fastned Kona EV Charging Curve below and assuming the curve resembles that of our babies (Ioniq EV) , the extra boost we get from 20-70% may be worth it considered even fair trade. Yes you will loose your shirt using EA after 70%, but look @ the awesome shot in the arm for 50% (64-71 miles). And guess what, EA stations are about 70 miles apart. So EA has done some homework here and the math is not all that skewed after all.

I have a planned Atlanta to Chattanooga day trip scheduled today. I am topped up @ 142 miles and hope to roll into Chattanooga EA on fumes and charge to 70% and get back a bit outside Atlanta (Kennesaw) on fumes and top up again and see if $0.35/minute works out after all.

IMHO, EA being funded by a VW law suite really has no intention to rip people off but @ the same time has to keep Real Estate costs by controlling misuse. I think the Hyundai select is cool.

I will let ya'll know later today :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
That charging curve is not like the 28kWh Ioniq, but is similar to the 38kWh. I charge my 28kW to ~78% or ~84% usually, if the weather is really bad and it's a long leg, I may take it up closer to 90%. I've had a couple almost-dead experiences from under-charging, oops!

cite: ABRP

cite: FASTNED

·
Registered
80 Posts
I will let ya'll know later today :)
Once again @ the risk of being labeled an EA evangelist, based on hard facts, on a 250 mile round trip, using EA and EVGo within the 20-70% range, EA with the Hyundai Select discount was 4 cents/Kwh cheaper than EvGO.

EA would be even cheaper if they displayed the seconds on display like EvGo does and you could geek shut @ 58 seconds :) and save $0.35. That would have reduced average by an additional 3 cents. Next time I will take a stop watch and milk that $0.35 at 58 seconds :)

All in all, EA with Hyundai Select compared to EVGo is a "EAGo" for me !!!

A

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm glad you mentioned Hyundai Select and the price - I looked it up and added it to my account. Awesome, thank you! Sadly I spent an extra $4 earlier this month when renewing my Pass+ account when I went out of town (I renew and cancel immediately when I go out of town), but at least the stupid tax was only $11.20 total.

From my experience, EA charges per rounded second, at least in Oregon and Washington. Last session was $4.76 for 9:31 @ $0.50/min.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I charge my 28kW to ~78% or ~84% usually, if the weather is really bad and it's a long leg, I may take it up closer to 90%.
In my experience anything > 75% on DCFC is financially depleting. I dare not try it on EA, but on the common EVGo 50kW units, from first hand knowledge, it jumps from $0.39/Kwh, rising to $0.44/kWh at 85% and almost $0.50/kWh when ole BMS shuts it down.

Granted a $0.10/kWh increase on the last 25% ($0.72) is a small price to pay compared to the convience of getting 32-35 extra miles and maybe that is what is needed to get home :)

If you can help it and have heavy mileage needs that need DCFC, playing the 20-70% may knock 10-20% off your charging costs.

A

·
Registered
80 Posts
From my experience, EA charges per rounded second, at least in Oregon and Washington. Last session was $4.76 for 9:31 @ $0.50/min.
Glad the tip helped.

Thanks for correcting the rounding by A.. Yes, the 6.06 minutes costed $2.12. Luckily GA does not tax, but TN does.

A

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Once again @ the risk of being labeled an EA evangelist, based on hard facts, on a 250 mile round trip, using EA and EVGo within the 20-70% range, EA with the Hyundai Select discount was 4 cents/Kwh cheaper than EvGO.
Evangelist play a very important role is this world! What did you experience for charging rates at Electrify America? I doubt if they provided the 82kWh they originally claimed the Ioniq demanded . There were reports from another post of only getting 37kWh. How many times did you charge at each vendor during this test trip?

·
Registered
80 Posts
What did you experience for charging rates at Electrify America? I doubt if they provided the 82kWh they originally claimed the Ioniq demanded . There were reports from another post of only getting 37kWh. How many times did you charge at each vendor during this test trip?
Quite honestly there was no way I could discern what my Ioniq to told EA charger on the initial demand, I don't have gizmos to to get that info yet.

My revisit to EA on this trip was purely EA's come to Jesus stance of owning up that there are communication issues between their CCS chargers and Hyundai and Kia EVs. Thanks to you (this thread) they listened as a temporary work around have offered a Hyundai and Kia Select. Not sure why they only have it till EOY 2020. It could be that they have core code to update etc etc and CM is not easy specially on a large scale is not easy. Its a lot easier to change code on a discount on an account than to mess with the code handling the conv between the vehicle and EA chargers. I suspect EA will fix it by EOY. But the awesomeness is the fact that EA cared and wants our business. max 1500 Ioniq in all of US :) is not what EA longs to have back, its the principal. They identified a problem and want to fix it.

I tried EA again purely to see if , given all the come to Jesus propaganda, EA was still the rip off I experience a few months ago with $1.65 for a measly kW. I was pleasantly surprised that within the 20-72% SOC range EA beat EvGo (my pre-EA DCFC vendor) by 4 cents a kW. I am hooked.

On my trip, I did 2 charges each on both vendors and the observations and math is not rocket science.

Without measuring gadgets and just watching my % go up on the dash in comparing the 2 vendors I was definitely getting at least 60kWh. Both my EA receipts where a tad higher that 1kW/min.

The 37kWh in the post you mentioned could very well be true and there could be several reason for that. SOC > 80% would get a steep down from ole BMS and yes 37kWh is possible. Its just a part of the J1772 protocol.

I know this thread, rightfully, has spun EA to be a monster. But there is always 2 sides to a pancake. I am glad EA saw the other side on the pancake and has decided to change its side and hopefully we will soon have some awesome EA Pancakes :).
A

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think the fault lies with Hyundai/Kia reporting the wrong charging acceptance rate, but EA could easily modify the plan for Ioniq VIN's. Hyundai did a shitty job with the Hyundai Select plan, as it could easily accurately reflect the speed for the vehicle we have vs a price almost 2x the cost of what it should be for our proper tier. My car has never charged over 68kWh per EA's data.

For reference, with all the EA stations in the PNW, it reports the kWh draw on the screen in what I assume is live time.

The following table is all of my charging except one where I charged for 10min on a broken EA station (max of 30-something kWh...), sorted by kWh/min. At the EA Pass+ price, you'll note its slightly more expensive than the retail price of EVgo but significantly faster, well worth the slight extra cost. You'll see I only charged once to 90%, which was on the first leg of my first trip and I was distracted by the internet and didn't shut off at 78-82%.

With the new rate, EA is a clear winner. I just wish Hyundai didn't agree to let them didn't rip us off. It's disappointing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Awesome presentation. Thanks for sharing.
I agree and thank you also Alessa for the feedback on your trip.

I still prefer EVgo for my Out of Town DCFC needs for several reasons.
May is the first time since December I have Traveled out of my local area and needed Fast Charge. Both trips were to the same general area but different itinerary's & destinations. Both were in the 160-180 mile round trip range. For both I charged at EVgo (different chargers) to add about 50 miles range back for the return trip at about the 100 mile mark. I then followed up the next day with a top off to around 70% at my local Very Low Cost Chargepoint 62kW(?) Charger.
Previously at The EVgo stations I received a charge rate of around 47 kWh. This time on both tries my charge rate was only 35kWh, raising up my charging cost to .535/kWh. That's about $ .20/kWh($3/charge) more than SiGmA_X's calculated New Price.
I don't know the reason for the low charge rate unless it was ambient temperature and recent usage. Both days were very sunny on a black interior with ambient temperatures in the mid 80's. Same story kind of: Note on display "Charging rate specified by vehicle".
My local Chargepoint at the Rural Electric Company is listed as 62kWh but typically delivers 44-47kWh. It happens to be the only DCFC within 60 miles. For strange reasons they don't price the service for charging, (it is free). They charge $5/Hr for parking with the plug connected. So my cost is around $ .12/kWh; $1.80 total to return to around 70%.
Sorry, BUT, I can't resist " Flipping the Pancake " again just to be sure. As a reminder this "This come to Jesus Group" is the same bunch that funded their start up by using the fines and penalties from a conviction for manipulating secret vehicle computer code to deceive the public!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
My original plan was to be an EVgo customer, largely because I was and am upset about EA and Hyundai ripping customers off. However, EVgo has had a lot of trouble keeping stations running in my area, and they only have 1-2 chargers at a site which doesn't work out well either. Due to better locations on my regular trip from PDX to Northern Washington, EVgo would enable me to only have 2 stops vs 3, if they could keep the stations running. But alas.

I hope EVgo replaces their stations with more quantity of faster chargers but I suspect they'll probably go out of business instead. I don't have any basis for that besides I see no expansion and limited maintenance, and they're vastly outnumbered by EA.

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Ioniq Electric
18 Posts
Sorry guys, I see no logic in paying More, wasting time charging at some mall/plaza - basically force feeding with junk food. Do you really have so much idle time at your hands to loiter around just to charge stupid car???
If you do not have facility to charge it (home, place of work) don't by EV vehicle.
I have the ability to charge at home but don’t. My charger stays tucked in my trunk for emergencies, and might never be used.
I use free DC charging stations around town. I looked into some of the companies like EA and EVGo and they not only seemed a bit overpriced for comparing the mileage with buying gas, but they’re overpriced compared to most other regular pay chargers.
I would pay if going on a long trip and needed to use stations, but otherwise, no thanks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
but otherwise, no thanks.
The DCFC business model really sucks because of basic economics. Supply is really expensive specially with rapid changing technologies and demand like this and many comments explain is not there. Outside off a court mandated deployments like EA where ROI is kept to the side and we hope there are many many more like that and to an extent or a Manufacturer initiative like Tesla, where there is coordinated sales and charger deployment as a service life cycle initiative, and we hope other manufacturers follow suite, the rest of the providers like ChargePoint partners and EvGo are casting their dice on early consumer market share and technology and hope that some larger fish buys them for the user count and maybe technology. Very startupish.

The part that I like about EA is that just looking @ their sites, you can see that someone had not controlling purse strings. Many units, so not polite conversation with a snooty Tesla owner @ a EvGo DCFC to ask how long he/she will be there and expect a snide reply. Just drive up, charge an go!!! That is bliss !!! that we (at least me in GA US) have not seen anywhere else. Many locations with several Level2, but all have 1 measly DCFC and the waiting game.

Lets hope there are many more court orders, EV manufacturer initiatives and maybe government initiatives that will increase DCFC equipment sales and bring deployment costs down and and feed reduced service costs.

I support forcing charge / kWh, like CA, but experiencing both sides of another service space in which I work, I can see mandating charge /kWh in an expensive deployment cost space, reducing investment into DCFC.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Many units, so not polite conversation with a snooty Tesla owner @ a EvGo DCFC to ask how long he/she will be there and expect a snide reply. Just drive up, charge an go!!! That is bliss !!! that we (at least me in GA US) have not seen anywhere else. Many locations with several Level2, but all have 1 measly DCFC and the waiting game.
Agreed all around. I do wish they weren't at Walmart, but at least Walmart has decently clean bathrooms and I can buy coffee, and people-watching is always interesting.

I support forcing charge / kWh, like CA, but experiencing both sides of another service space in which I work, I can see mandating charge /kWh in an expensive deployment cost space, reducing investment into DCFC.
I think we need more admin or legal rulings to make the consumption model the national model. I suspect we'll eventually get there. Time is just not a good metric.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts