Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Limited Ioniq 5 will be here in about a month! already have the NEMA 14-50 outlet installed and was wondering about people's experience with Juicebox and Charge point as trying to decide which to order

·
Registered
22 I5 SEL RWD
288 Posts
Never used either, but I'll offer the advice that our charger has a front-panel LED that displays the current being sent to the car in real-time, and also has a simple push-button switch that you can use to change the current level. I have found both of these features to be extremely useful (and will note that many I5 owners have had to tweak their current inputs down to work around a widespread I5 L2 home-charger overheating problem).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never used either, but I'll offer the advice that our charger has a front-panel LED that displays the current being sent to the car in real-time, and also has a simple push-button switch that you can use to change the current level. I have found both of these features to be extremely useful (and will note that many I5 owners have had to tweak their current inputs down to work around a widespread I5 L2 home-charger overheating problem).
which charger is that?

·
Registered
22 I5 SEL RWD
288 Posts
GoPlug 40A. It's relatively inexpensive for a WiFi-capable EVSE, although in the end I've never found any need to use the WiFi. At the time I purchased 6 months ago it was not UL-certified (its older sibling 32A version was), but I was told it was in process for certification. If that matters to you then you should by all means follow that up. I had some difficulty setting up its WiFi that may have been due to the particular WiFi topology of our house, but their phone support was great and they got it working for me (although I haven't used it since, as noted).

As it turns out, the I5 charging overheat in fact limits my charging (at least for now) to 32A, which is plenty of current for me to fully recharge overnight if I ever needed that, so buying the UL-certified 32A wouldn't be the worst decision in the world if that's still on offer (and you should double-check the UL stuff if you care). Another thing to consider is that my unit is installed in an always-warm garage, so if you have rainproofing or low-temperature needs you should consider those aspects as well.

In any event, if whatever EVSE you get has the two features I mentioned in my initial reply I can guarantee you will appreciate having them.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I like our Wallbox Pulsar Plus 40A. UL certified and I think European manufactured. Has an app which lets you program times (I don't use this feature though), see charging history, and adjust amperage output. 25 foot slim cable (important as our first choice, the Grizzl-E had a really fat cable which struggled to fit under our garage door).

·
Registered
336 Posts
I am still using level1 charger but I will buy Level2 charger.
It’s just hard to say there is “the best charger”……
I was looking at various reviews and there are pro and con.
Emporia has decent review for $400 but my power company offers wallbox for $400 and charging point for $499 and juicebox for $450… I am leaning towards to wallbox because of the price. Check your power company what their offers are.

·
Registered
333 Posts
There is no one best. Depends on your needs. I live in a climate that gets very cold in the winter so a priority for me was a cable that remains flexible in very cold temps. Do you want a “smart” charger or not? Many people find the added features redundant to what can be accomplished in the car already. I have a bare bones grizzle and it works great for me and my needs. It’s more cumbersome to adjust the amperage but I’ve never had to do that since installed. No bells and whistles but has a winter flexible cable

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have been happy with the ChargePoint Home Flex we installed well over a year ago in anticipation of getting a full battery EV to replace our old PHEV. Once setup, I have not tweaked the settings at all so from that point of view it is not a big functional step up from a dumber EVSE.

One thing I do access is the charging history as I am compulsive about measuring MPG on gas cars and now mi/kWh on this EV. The actual mi/kWh I am getting based on ChargePoint and EA reports is different than the car reports by about 10% which I am attributing to charging losses.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Limited AWD, cyber gray, gray interior
118 Posts
We love the Grizzle-e, excellent build quality (made in Canada), UL certified, amp output is adjustable to work with your circuit, simple to use, reliable. It's not wifi enabled but I've never felt a need for that because you can manage and monitor it all with the car settings and the Bluelink app.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My Limited Ioniq 5 will be here in about a month! already have the NEMA 14-50 outlet installed and was wondering about people's experience with Juicebox and Charge point as trying to decide which to order
Check to see if your state is offering any rebates. My brother got a $700 Juice Box for about $250 from a NY state rebate.

·
Registered
22 I5 SEL RWD
288 Posts
There is no one best. Depends on your needs.
Exactly. You will find several threads on this topic in this and practically every other EV forum. And you will also never see a post from anyone saying that their own charger is a POS and they should have bought a different one. Figure out which features are absolutely necessary and/or desirable for your situation, how much you are willing to pay, and decide based on that. I can also recommend Tom Mologney's StateOfCharge youtube channel for in-depth reviews of whatever chargers you manage to narrow your field down to. Also note that rebates are great, but you will hopefully live with this EVSE for years, so IMO it's not worth swapping long-term contentment for a few bucks up front.

·
Registered
164 Posts
We've only had our I5 for a few days but I installed the hardwiredversion of the Autel Maxicharger a few weeks ago. They make it in a 40a version with a NEMA 14-50 plug. The hardwired version is 50a. I bought the one with the external cable holder.

I paid $479 on Amazon and the 40a version with the NEMA 14-50 plug is currently on sale for $449. These are WIFI and Bluetooth chargers with a nice app.

What sold me on the Autel (other than the name) was that is has an internal dial selector to set the max current that goes to the car. My setup currently has 10 gauge wire with a 30 amp breaker so I am limited to 24a charging until I upgrade the wire to 6 gauge. I didn't want to rely on just a setting in the app to limit the current.

On the app I can choose between 6 to 24 amps charge current. It allows scheduling (assuming you don't want to use the I5s built in scheduling). It also tells you the amount of each charge session cost. And the app of course shows the current going to the car. A future firmware update should allow two way communication with the I5.

It has dynamic load balancing that might be important if you are charging at max amps while also using 240v appliances.

I wanted a 50a for future use when we become a two EV home and will probably have an extended range pickup.

·
Registered
2021 Ioniq EV/ SE in Blue/Black Interior
219 Posts
Hunt thru Youtube for the "Fully Charged" video review a flock of chargers, of all sizes, and in many different aspects of use. Be sure to get UL/CSA listed units, fire risk, and have a look at the Sandy Munro video on the risks of at home EV chargers. The fire risk comes from the equipment used for the electrick service that IS NOT designed to work with the constant use an EV requires for electricity. There is, it seems, NO EV specific electric equipment for the loads and use of an EV- they are all household rated. That MUST change, somehow.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hunt thru Youtube for the "Fully Charged" video review a flock of chargers, of all sizes, and in many different aspects of use. Be sure to get UL/CSA listed units, fire risk, and have a look at the Sandy Munro video on the risks of at home EV chargers. The fire risk comes from the equipment used for the electrick service that IS NOT designed to work with the constant use an EV requires for electricity. There is, it seems, NO EV specific electric equipment for the loads and use of an EV- they are all household rated. That MUST change, somehow.
Yep its an informative video even though kind of hard to watch. Best not to charge at full amps until EV rated breakers hit the market. And probably a good idea to hardwire your charger or at least buy the $50 heavy duty NEMA 14-50 receptacle.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The fire risk comes from the equipment used for the electrick service that IS NOT designed to work with the constant use an EV requires for electricity. There is, it seems, NO EV specific electric equipment for the loads and use of an EV- they are all household rated. That MUST change, somehow.
As more fires occur the insurance industry will push for the regulations.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts