Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ive just been quoted £1459 (before grants) for installation of Hypervolt charger. That sounds expensive to me !
that is very expensive. I had a quote of 700£ for the Hypervolt after grant and that included all kit required since my elec setup is 1930 semi.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 AWD Balance Vision
550 Posts
Ive just been quoted £1459 (before grants) for installation of Hypervolt charger. That sounds expensive to me !
you have to calculate :
  1. a good price for a quality home charger up to 22KW with 4 meter cable, costs around 700-800 Euro = 600-680 GBP example of a very good one (the same as I have)
  2. then you still have the installation and material max of +/- 500 Euro = 430 GBP
  3. inspection +/- 200 Euro = 170 GBP
= total of 1400->1500 Euro = 1200-1280 BGP , so all what is above 1300 pounds is too much.

·
Registered
27 Posts
that is very expensive. I had a quote of 700£ for the Hypervolt after grant and that included all kit required since my elec setup is 1930 semi.
As I am in Scotland I get £350 plus £250 grants. So still would leave me £859 to pay after both grants

·
Registered
44 Posts
As I am in Scotland I get £350 plus £250 grants. So still would leave me £859 to pay after both grants
Is there more than1 qualified installer in ur area? I tried quotes from nearly every type of charger and most came via the same installer in my area. Although the Pod-point came in at 600£ from another provider but then I had to source a isolator switch via my elec provider before they would install and that would have been 60£. So really not much difference. Yours still seems very high.....

·
Registered
44 Posts
you have to calculate :
  1. a good price for a quality home charger up to 22KW with 4 meter cable, costs around 700-800 Euro = 600-680 GBP example of a very good one (the same as I have)
  2. then you still have the installation and material max of +/- 500 Euro = 430 GBP
  3. inspection +/- 200 Euro = 170 GBP
= total of 1400->1500 Euro = 1200-1280 BGP , so all what is above 1300 pounds is too much.
Do you have 3 phase electricity? If not you don't need a 22kw charger. I remember checking these and there are 2 configurations for some charges, 7kw and 22kw, 22kw being more expensive but does require 3 phase electricity.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Do you have 3 phase electricity? If not you don't need a 22kw charger. I remember checking these and there are 2 configurations for some charges, 7kw and 22kw, 22kw being more expensive but does require 3 phase electricity.
Yes I have, but this charger can be configurated from 7KW to 22KW, 1 phase or 3 phase.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Yes I have, but this charger can be configurated from 7KW to 22KW, 1 phase or 3 phase.
But if possible I advice to go for 11KW 3 phase 3x16 Amp, it will charge quicker.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Do you not have NEMA 40 plugs in Europe?

Get an electrician to run an NEMA 40 line into your Garage and you don't need an expensive charger that requires installation.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had a 7kw Podpoint installed three weeks ago it has a 7 meter cable, after the £350 Ozev grant which Podpoint did the paperwork for me it cost £529 including installation, yes some of the other chargers give you lots of options for setting charge times etc but so does the free Pod Point app and free Bluelink app from Hyundai so I didn't see any point in paying for a dearer charger to do things I can do for free. I have used it twice, once after a day out I needed an 8hr charge from 21% to 100% and yesterday for 2½ hours to top up, had no problems and Bluelink kept me informed.

·
Registered
68 Posts
But if possible I advice to go for 11KW 3 phase 3x16 Amp, it will charge quicker.
I wish I had 3 phase electric supply but hardly anyone in the UK has and it costs a lot to be upgraded anything from £3000 - £15000 so most of us only need/can have a 7kw charger

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt, reserved Ioniq 5
337 Posts
so most of us only need/can have a 7kw charger
To me this is a key statement - what you need. Look at how many miles you drive each day and how long the car will be parked to charge. Do you really need 22 kW? Or is it better to save the money?

·
Registered
68 Posts
To me this is a key statement - what you need. Look at how many miles you drive each day and how long the car will be parked to charge. Do you really need 22 kW? Or is it better to save the money?
You're right I like saving money, most of us are in bed at night for 8 hours so simply plug your car in when you're asleep and you only need a 7kw charger also if you switch your electric supply to an EV contract such as Octopus Go or Go Faster as I have been recommended to do, it will cost £0.05 per KWh or about £0.01 per mile, so my 241 mile trip the other day would have cost me £2.41 (US$3.34) for three adults

·
Registered
550 Posts
I think if you can go for the 22KW installation, think at the future.
Invest in the future to prevent having to modify your installation again for your next car in 5 years or so. The best is the one that can be configured from 7 to 11 to 22Kw.
Paying twice is always more expensive than once.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I think if you can go for the 22KW installation, think at the future
How common are 3-phase domestic installations in Europe?
As Knight Rider says, they are almost unheard of in the UK with the possible exceptions of Farms, Garages, & Small Business units

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you not have NEMA 40 plugs in Europe?

Get an electrician to run an NEMA 40 line into your Garage and you don't need an expensive charger that requires installation.
I had a 7kw Podpoint installed three weeks ago it has a 7 meter cable, after the £350 Ozev grant which Podpoint did the paperwork for me it cost £529 including installation, yes some of the other chargers give you lots of options for setting charge times etc but so does the free Pod Point app and free Bluelink app from Hyundai so I didn't see any point in paying for a dearer charger to do things I can do for free. I have used it twice, once after a day out I needed an 8hr charge from 21% to 100% and yesterday for 2½ hours to top up, had no problems and Bluelink kept me informed.
I think this may be a sensible route to follow. What I would be missing, however, is load balancing, as well as the ability to turn charging on or off according to spot rate highs and lows. Does anyone know a way to access those features via software tied to the car?

·
Registered
68 Posts
How common are 3-phase domestic installations in Europe?
As Knight Rider says, they are almost unheard of in the UK with the possible exceptions of Farms, Garages, & Small Business units
I believe all new build homes in Germany have 3 phase according to my electrician but don't know about anywhere else. As for Jaz saying think of the future and install a 22kw charger, to benefit from this we would still need to change our electricity supply to 3 phase and it would reduce a full charge for the Ioniq 5 from 8 hours with a 7kw to 5 hours with a 22kw charger, the expense to change to 3 phase is too high for the 3 hours faster charge and that's while you are asleep.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Also remember that for cars to be released with higher range doesn't necessarily just mean bigger battery therefore longer charges, it will also be more efficient batteries and more efficient motors, so the charging times will even become quicker. There is of course a turn around time for that to happen and we are not quite there yet but I think long term it will happen so I don't see 22kw really being a must have

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
I believe all new build homes in Germany have 3 phase according to my electrician but don't know about anywhere else.
Also in the Netherlands, nowadays the norm for most houses is 3-phase. My 3-phase Zappi charger indeed charges the Ioniq 5 at 11 kW.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts