Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow morning, we, wife and I, are going on the longest trip we have ever made with the Ioniq: Fredrikstad-Berlin.

Total, one way: 1289 km (12h 35 min according to Google)

We plan 4 stops/ferry:
0. Leave home between 7 and 8 am.
1. Varberg North, 271 km, for a brief lunch/rest/leg stretch
2. Rødby Ferry, +400 km, for 50 min ferry crossing to Puttgarden and dinner
3. Schwerin Castle and Old Town, +216 km, walk around and charge car for 2-3 hours
4. Neustadt-Glewe, just 36 km south of Schwerin, a meal, hotel overnight, plus charge car overnight
5. Berlin hotel, 185 km, for sightseeing in Berlin and then a 2-day conference, charge car

Return directly to home on Monday, after the conference and a weekend stay to visit Berlin, including dinner at roof of Old Reichstag building.

In Berlin, the car will mostly be just parked, and we plan to use U-bahn to get around.

Trip is plotted into Planned trips on the Navigation. Surprisingly easy. Handles multiple waypoints just fine. All set to tomorrow morning! We are both really looking forward to this, as we like to do long trips from time to time.

Any comments, suggestions very welcome!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looking forward to see an update on this. I live in Oslo and I'm very interested to do a road trip to Europe :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Have a nice trip! :) We are going to do Sweden and a tiny corner of Norway - roadtrip soon, from the south of the Netherlands :) If you don't have it already, I would highly recommend to use "Chargemap". Especially since "the community" is contributing in telling you if the charging point is working or not, where to find it, pictures of how it looks... etc. More than once the Ioniq didn't give us the right charging points: Sometimes they didn't even exist so don't follow that one blindly, always keep the chargemap app at hand and make sure you filter it correctly, only the purple chargers are fast chargers, and make sure it's the CSS-connectors only. (pref. with free parking etc.).

Also: Go look for the free Lidl fast chargers! (In the Netherlands, they're not always working =still new here=, but in Germany, France and Switzerland, they were, when we were there. :))

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The trip went just fine!

We reached Schwerin and Neustadt-Glewe almost exactly as schedueled, or about 10 minutes earlier. Could not find any charging in Schwerin, though. In Neustadt-Glewe Chargemap indicated one in town main square, but I could not get it to work. SMS was not answered, nothing happened. App payment required registration, German home and German electricity supplier, for invoicing. Not tourist/visitor friendly, one might say!

Very small country town, but with an excellent Italian restaurant by the river. They could not take Visa card, we had little cash, but owner said just come by tomorrow morning. Hotel, or hostel, was a bit too cheap, even for one night. No elevator, no AC in room, no working WiFi (not a problem, EU tarifs for mobile data roaming are same as home).

Arrived in Berlin, before noon next day. 4-star luxury, very big and modern, excelent hotel, Estrel Berlin. Did most on central Berlin that evening, by train, tram, bus and foot. Berlin has a lot of famous places and modern history. Very nice city, one of the nicest and friendliest big cities I have been to (among Paris, Barcelona, London, New York, San Francisco).

Car was parked in parking basement. Two levels, hundreds of spots. Two charging stations and both was vacant. Had to contact lobby desk to get it started, but they came two guys immediately.

After conference days, had to move to another hotel nearby. Used car on electric. Pedestrians not all all used to silent cars, so had to be extra careful.

Spotted two Ioniqs in Berlin though (one and a half day walking around), one HEV and one electric. Plus two or three Teslas. No Leafs. Thousands of bicycles. Traffic was smooth, no problem driving, no aggressive driving, as so common further south.

Return trip also went fine, except for a very delayed ferry Rostock - Gedser (route E55). Next time drive both ways passing by Lübeck, ferry Puttgarden - Rødby (route E47, shorter ferry).

Roads was excellent, except for massive road works north of Berlin. Narrow and slow on "half" Autobahn. All the way to/from Fredrikstad, motorway, except for a few kilometres.

Even if speed was 100 - 150 km/h almost all the way, the fuel consumption was not bad at all, 0.4 l/100km. That is fantastic. My Ford Focus would have taken 1.0, 2.5 times that! Very, very impressed with Ioniq on HEV mode. But few hills, smooth traffic, much constant speeds over hundreds of miles. That helps, even when going high speed.

No pains, no need to stop to stretch or get blood flow back to legs. Ioniq just drives and drives. Keeps me in lane, keeps speed, keeps distance to next vehicle and warns for blind zone vehicles and lane shifts without signalling. But I drive actively, watching ahead and rear, constantly changing set distance and speed. Headlights come on in tunnels or when a bit dark. Keeps me informed on next turns, time to go and so on. No surprises. No worries.

Best thing on the way home, decent motorway all the way from Uddevalla to Norwegian border and further. 10 to 40 years ago this was indeed not all the case there.

Beautiful car to drive.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts