Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Hybrid SE
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 2020 Hybrid a couple of days ago, so may just be missing something, but ...
I just noticed that it beeps when I put the car in reverse. I didn't notice this during the test drive because I didn't go in reverse then. Is this automatic or something I can turn off/on in the menu?
I saw on youtube a while back that the Ioniq will make an artificial engine noise so pedestrians can hear the car when it's running on electric-only -- I think it's called VSS. Is this why this is doing t his?

·
Registered
159 Posts
It's an automatic function, for the same reasons you mention above about the Vess. At least on my UK model, I can't turn it off.

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
Iconiq plug In. Premium SE/ultimate 2019
78 Posts
Predominantly for blind and partially sighted people that may be near you when reversing,

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Hybrid SE
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. I was just wondering. Beeping is not that big of a deal anyway.

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq 28kWh
47 Posts
Maybe you could just add the switch and it works as the european models?

Lower left in my picture here is what's needed to do. Just connecting those two pins with a 200Ohm resitor will disable VESS on cars with the button. Maybe we are lucky it's just a missing button

·
Registered
186 Posts
I must say I can't stand the reversing beeping. So I turn it off usually when I start the car.
Was funny the other day though, I was manoeuvring the car parked kerbside, and there was a young boy with his dad near the car on the pavement. I actually had the the VESS on, but was mostly going forwards. I overheard the dad say how "dangerous" the car was because it was so quiet. It's becoming quite an anti EV trope I think, but I'm not really sure how dangerous a car moving at very low speed can be....especially if moving forward, and it's not like people generally reverse at speed. To be honest I've always thought the beeping on lorries is a total copout, it relies on the person who may be behind them hearing the beeping and getting out the way, rather than the driver ensuring that the way is clear for them to drive "blind" into.

·
Registered
17 Posts
North American models the reverse alert and VESS cannot be disabled. Required by US and Canadian laws.
not true...in the Usa yes as of sept 1st 2020...no such law enacted in Canada as of yet. But probably will follow Usa soon because they can never say no to what the Usa does.

·
Super Moderator
2,084 Posts
I don't have a beeping sound on reversing or Vess noise on my 2019 HEV?
No VESS on the HEV . The reversing beeps are quite quiet inside the car , but should be there . Maybe have someone stand outside the car whilst reversing to check ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
No VESS on the HEV . The reversing beeps are quite quiet inside the car , but should be there . Maybe have someone stand outside the car whilst reversing to check ?
Thanks Chunga68, I have been outside the car when my wife reversing but not heard anything? may have been disconnected possibly by previous owner (Bought with 4K miles on).

·
Super Moderator
2,084 Posts
Thanks Chunga68, I have been outside the car when my wife reversing but not heard anything? may have been disconnected possibly by previous owner (Bought with 4K miles on).
A bit naughty if that's the case . Did you buy it privately or off a Hyundai Dealership ? If it's the latter they should rectify it free of charge . Reversing beep was on my 2016 Ioniq and is on my 2020 Ioniq so it seems unlikely that they would have removed them on the 2019 Ioniq

·
Registered
186 Posts
The reversing beep on my Ioniq is very soft. I can barely hear it.
My one is quite noisy from outside the car, can always hear my wife from inside the house as she reverses onto the drive. Especially annoying at night too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Heard mine for the first time today.......you have to listen carefully over a noisy wife :D

·
Registered
230 Posts
Not sure if there are regional differences in the volume or tone of these outside alerts, I can only speak for my two Ioniq's, in which case they are very soft and only ever really noticeable in the driver's seat when reversing into my garage with the driver-side window down as it echos around the garage.

·
Registered
33 Posts
A bit naughty if that's the case . Did you buy it privately or off a Hyundai Dealership ? If it's the latter they should rectify it free of charge . Reversing beep was on my 2016 Ioniq and is on my 2020 Ioniq so it seems unlikely that they would have removed them on the 2019 Ioniq
Apologies, it does beep!, however you need to almost put your ear to the rear of the car to hear it which is why I had never noticed it. Will get dealers to check it out next service.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts