Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
I fed the car 76 litres in those 2,788 km, so it averaged 2.73 l/100 km. The Genesis would probably have averaged 11 l/100 km with the same drives, so assuming CO2 scales linearly with the volume of gas burned then I lowered my emissions by 75%. That will only get better if my long trips remain few and far between.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Loving your reports! I'm at a month myself. I don't have a home charger, but charge at Peel Region's free FLO chargers, and there are a few free ones in Central and South Mississauga. Takes about 2.5 hours to charge, so I usually take a nap, read, or listen to some new tunes.

I'm saving $50+/ on insurance, over $150/month compared to my previous car payments, and if I had to, can go 2 weeks without filling up based on my 90+ km commutes. That said, I usually fill up each week whenever the gas price drops.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I did my usual 28 km highway commute this morning just to see how the car would fare. It started at 44 km electric range and arrived at work with 20 km remaining and no gas burned. The city route takes longer but is only 19 km, I'm going to try and get it back home by that route today and see if I can also get away with burning no gas. I never realized that my highway route was that much longer, its got me questioning just how much time I was really saving myself.

At the recent price of approximately $1.45 CDN for a litre of gas, the Genny's 11.5 l/100 city + highway mileage cost me $9.34 a day. It's city mileage of 12.5 l/100 would still have cost $6.89 a day. I'm really looking forward to $1 a day commuting in the IONIQ, although bike + light rail for $5.52 transit fare has been great summer exercise.
Not bad. I commute 90 miles (144.84km) per day at an average of 60mph (96.56kph) It's costing me $4.25 ($5.64CDN) a day in fuel at $2.50/gallon ($3.32CD) or $0.88CDN/liter

My residential electricity rate is $0.075US/kwh or $0.10CDN/kwh so a plug in hybrid wouldn't save me that much. About $1.50 US or $1.99CDN a day savings.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Not bad. I commute 90 miles (144.84km) per day at an average of 60mph (96.56kph) It's costing me $4.25 ($5.64CDN) a day in fuel at $2.50/gallon ($3.32CD) or $0.88CDN/liter
Regular gasoline is about $1.18CDN/liter around here.

My residential electricity rate is $0.075US/kwh or $0.10CDN/kwh so a plug in hybrid wouldn't save me that much. About $1.50 US or $1.99CDN a day savings.
The off-peak electricity rate around here is $0.065CDN/kwh plus tax (not including the fixed costs on the bill).

But even with the figures that you quoted, $1.50 US per day = $525 US in foregone savings per year.

In addition, there Is the forgone opportunity to reduce emissions.

·
Registered
409 Posts
---I only drive 200 days to work a year = $300 and there's a $200 PHEV/EV yearly registration fee. = $100 a year savings. I don't keep my car for more than 3 year so the savings are still negligible.

After the federal credit of $4543 which may or may not cover the additional cost of a PHEV

---Assuming my electricity didn't come from coal and nuclear power plant -- which it does.

Let's face it, the US/State government do not want electric car and go out their way to make it less cost effective for a consumer.

·
Registered
'17 Marina Blue HEV Ltd I O N I Q since 25 Jul '17
1,837 Posts
Let's face it, the US/State government do not want electric car and go out their way to make it less cost effective for a consumer.
Well certainly not the current White House occupant. Is your current State Governor Dem or Rep?

So stupid how Trump is trying to sue California over their stricter emissions policies.

Reactions: Ioniquest

·
Registered
'17 Marina Blue HEV Ltd I O N I Q since 25 Jul '17
1,837 Posts
Wanting to improve air quality and reduce foreign oil dependency shouldn't be based on party line. It will benefit everyone.
Good luck convincing the likes of Trump or Ford (Ontario Premier) of that.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So I'm a few days shy of a year owning the IONIQ, and took advantage of a lazy afternoon to crunch some numbers.

Compared to the Genesis Coupe it replaced, the IONIQ has saved me $2,600 in energy costs* (paying off its Level 2 charger) and 4.93 tons of CO2. Although it still needs oil changes, it won't burn through brake discs, pads, and tires nearly as fast as the Genny did, and when it does they'll be cheaper to replace. I'm happy.

On a recent visit to an old friend:

* Data compiled from hydro bills, Fuelio, FLO, and ChargePoint logs. For simplicity, monthly hydro rates were calculated by dividing bill amount by the total kWh, rather than breaking down peak, mid-peak, and off-peak rates, per kWh charges, and prorating the fixed charges separately. Given that 95 per cent of my charging takes place off-peak, actual savings were probably even higher.

·
Registered
86 Posts
We got our Ioniqs within a few days of each other. I am just over 21K as a result of not having to drive to work. Otherwise, I'd be at your mileage mark.

Like you, I was paying a premium fuel premium, so I'm grateful for the savings as well.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Compared to the Genesis Coupe it replaced, the IONIQ has saved me $2,600 in energy costs* (paying off its Level 2 charger) and 4.93 tons of CO2. Although it still needs oil changes, it won't burn through brake discs, pads, and tires nearly as fast as the Genny did, and when it does they'll be cheaper to replace. I'm happy.
Thanks for sharing that info Kevin. I have a 2019 HEV and I drive about 25 K per year, maybe a little more. Like you, I have to drive long distances regularly, so BEV would not work for me. I've always wondered what my total energy cost would be with a PHEV compared to my HEV.

If I assume my driving patterns are similar to yours, using your numbers above, I would consume a total of 729.7 litres of fuel and 2139 kWh of electricity to drive 24,993 km. Using British Columbia Tier 2 rate of $0.1403/kWh + 5% GST, the electrical cost for year would be $315. The cost of gas (regular) in my area is presently around $1.22/litre and I'll assume that it is constant for the entire year to keep things simple. So the gas cost for the year would be $890. Total cost to drive the PHEV for the year would be $1205. I average about 4.35 l/100 (actual - not the car's estimate) in my HEV over the course of the year, obviously better in the summer and worse in the winter. That means that I would consume 1086 litres over the course of the year for a cost of $1325 annually (at $1.22/litre).

Using the numbers above, the HEV costs about $120/year to run compared to what it would cost to run the PHEV. I'm surprised at how little difference there is. Of course, if/when gas cost return to normal (i.e. higher) that difference will get bigger, but it will still be relatively small.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
We got our Ioniqs within a few days of each other. I am just over 21K as a result of not having to drive to work. Otherwise, I'd be at your mileage mark.
Thanks to Covid my numbers have about 4,300 km of all-electric commutes missing. If I add that, the estimates change to $3,200 saved and 6.07 tons of CO2 avoided.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Ultimate
10 Posts
My next step is getting the Polar White painted rims from the EV model to mount the factory tires, then putting Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2s on the factory rims. Some years the winter tires are on the car longer than the summers, and I'd like it to look good whatever the season.

(You should have seen the 'winter rims' I had on the Genny, aggressive 18" black alloy seven spokes [also with Hakkapeliitta R2s] that were nice contrast to the 19" factory alloys it wore in the summer. I loved them both equally, and enjoyed switching up the look twice a year.)
How have you found the Nokian winter tires? I have been looking at winter tire options for my 2020 EV for the lovely southern Ontario snow that will be here all too soon...

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I had the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2s on my 2012 Genesis Coupe 3.8GT Manual (rear wheel drive, dyno'd at 275 whp) and it was completely tame in the winter unless deliberately pushed for fun and profit. I had the R3's on the Ioniq last winter and consider them top notch. Don't just take my word for it though, here's some great reading from back in 2015:

Car and Driver: Winter-Tire Test: Six Top Brands Tested, Compared

That was about the R2s, and the R3s are even better.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts