Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday I took delivery of my Polar White 2019 "IONIQ electric plus Ultimate", aka the top level PHEV trim in Canada. By day-end I'd put 117 km on it, taking it to lunch, to Service Ontario for refund of the unused registration on the old plates (I told the dealer they'd spelled HOV LANE wrong on the new green ones), touring with some co-workers, out to dinner with my wife (who drove it back), and finally a late night cruise with the neighbours before plugging in. (I'd used HEV mode during a significant portion of the day to ensure I had plenty of battery left for dinner and demo cruises).

It was emotional picking the car up. My trade-in was a Nordshleife Grey 2012 Genesis Coupe 3.8GT manual with 275 rear wheel horsepower (with dyno plots to prove it) which I'd loved dearly. I'd sometimes joke that it was my mid-life crisis car as it was achingly pretty and ---loads of fun. I'll miss it terribly, but look forward to many days of cheap, quiet, and emissions free driving in a car loaded with tech toys that's also pretty decent looking.

Because 2019.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I did my usual 28 km highway commute this morning just to see how the car would fare. It started at 44 km electric range and arrived at work with 20 km remaining and no gas burned. The city route takes longer but is only 19 km, I'm going to try and get it back home by that route today and see if I can also get away with burning no gas. I never realized that my highway route was that much longer, its got me questioning just how much time I was really saving myself.

At the recent price of approximately $1.45 CDN for a litre of gas, the Genny's 11.5 l/100 city + highway mileage cost me $9.34 a day. It's city mileage of 12.5 l/100 would still have cost $6.89 a day. I'm really looking forward to $1 a day commuting in the IONIQ, although bike + light rail for $5.52 transit fare has been great summer exercise.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My next step is getting the Polar White painted rims from the EV model to mount the factory tires, then putting Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2s on the factory rims. Some years the winter tires are on the car longer than the summers, and I'd like it to look good whatever the season.

(You should have seen the 'winter rims' I had on the Genny, aggressive 18" black alloy seven spokes [also with Hakkapeliitta R2s] that were nice contrast to the 19" factory alloys it wore in the summer. I loved them both equally, and enjoyed switching up the look twice a year.)

Reactions: bluioniq

·
Registered
'17 Marina Blue HEV Ltd I O N I Q since 25 Jul '17
1,837 Posts
Congrats on your new ride... Gonna miss the manual transmission I bet!

Good car still.

Reactions: KevinT and bluioniq

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll miss it, but the sounds this car makes when driving slowly with the windows down somewhat makes up for it. I'm glad the visual styling isn't wonky but I am really digging the spaceship noise.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just drove the 19 km city route home and arrived with 6 km electric range to spare. That's 47 km done on nothing but electrons today with a bunch left over. I LIKE it!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Congratulations and welcome!

Great to hear about your EV mileage! Did you have the AC on for your trip to work snd/or back?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the AC on (driver only) for most of the 28 km highway route, but the system was off with the windows down for the 18 km city route home.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks, that makes the EV mileage even more impressive. AC would increase battery drain, and so would open windows. Your car still drove the advertised 47 km in EV mode, and had a few km to spare. This makes the EV mode more realistic for normal summer driving.

Reactions: bluioniq and KevinT

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This morning I took the 18 km city route to work and the outside temp was 15°C (59°F) as I left home. It immediately started the engine for heat so I backed the cabin temp down to 18.5°C (65°F) to shut it off, then toughed it out with the heated seats set on low and heated steering wheel on. :)

That's probably going a little overboard as I was still a bit chilly, but I did finish the trip with 75% battery / 30 km electric range left on the clock. I'm enjoying playing around with the options to see how it behaves but will probably settle into more normal / comfortable habits after the 'new fun toy' factor wears off.

Right now the car's psychoanalysisizer says I'm 87% economical, 12% normal, 1% aggressive. Lol, sounds about right.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Interesting. I generally don't bother with any heat until the temp gets around 0°C. Even then I find I use only the heated seat and steering wheel unless below -20°C; then I'll turn on the HVAC heat.

But yes, the seats and steering wheel consume little power, but the main HVAC heater uses a lot energy and will force ICE to run.

·
Registered
234 Posts
This morning I took the 18 km city route to work and the outside temp was 15°C (59°F) as I left home. It immediately started the engine for heat ...
I take it that the car was parked outside overnight, so its cabin and battery temp were also 15C?

What was the estimated EV range at the start?

We plan to park ours in the garage (which we are working to clear out :) The garage is not heated but is part of the house, not separate or sticking out. Not sure how cold it gets there in winter. I’m guessing about 10-15C, so your experience is very interesting.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
We plan to park ours in the garage (which we are working to clear out :) The garage is not heated but is part of the house, not separate or sticking out. Not sure how cold it gets there in winter. I’m guessing about 10-15C, so your experience is very interesting.
Our house has a double-car garage attached to the house, but sticking out with a great room overhead. The garage itself is not heated (the great room above is, of course), but does have an insulated door. Temperature in the winter is generally about 10-15°C warmer than outside. But parking inside the garage still offers protection from snow, sleet, freezing rain and wind as well as other elements of nature.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Right now the car sits outside because that's where I can safely plug in the trickle charger. The two outlets in the double garage share a breaker and one of them has a chest freezer plugged into it, and I'm afraid that even if I set the trickle charger to low it might pop the breaker and kill our food. (Plus the car wouldn't be full again by morning.)

The outdoor outlets are on their own 15A breaker with nothing else plugged into them so I can run the trickle charger on high and not have to worry about it.

Tomorrow night I get my FLO Home X5 installed in the garage. It's 30 amp potential is overkill for the 15 or 16 amps that I suspect the car will draw, but the FLO will let me track my usage which holds a certain appeal to me. Can't wait!

·
Registered
234 Posts
@KevinT Sounds good! I’m sure you’ll enjoy the charger data.

I’m still curious about the estimated RV range at15C.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It has yet to show me an EV range higher than 44 km after an overnight charge, though 2k into my trip this morning it went up to 45 km for a whole 30 seconds, lol.

It gets me to work and back with plenty to spare taking the city route both ways and that's all I need, the rest is gravy.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Someone in another thread asked how much electricity it takes to fully charge the PHEV, so now that I have the FLO charger to tell me I took an extra trip yesterday to flatten the battery (dinner out with the wife, woohoo!) Well, as flat as it gets, since the bottom 20% is used for hybrid ops.

To charge from 17% to full used 8.331 kWh, or $0.63 including the network, connection, distribution, and off-peak electricity charges. It did of course use some gas after the battery ran out, averaging 1.5 l/100km per the summary displayed when I shut it off, so a $1.19 in regular gas for a total of $1.82.

The Genny would have used $12 of premium fuel. Loving this car!

* Using estimates of $1.10 CAD /l for regular and $1.45 for premium.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

So it's been one month with the IONIQ. It's currently sitting with a full tank and a 2/3 full battery, after I've driven 2,788 km and used $12.87 of electricity and $92.48 in gas (thanks to some non-electric trips to Burlington, Toronto, and Ottawa). That's $0.038 per km versus the Genesis Coupe's $0.167, or put another way, the Genny would have cost me an extra $359.65 this month. Ouch, that's more than a car payment and basically paid for my hotel suite in Ottawa. I'm loving this!

·
Registered
234 Posts
@KevinT Congrats on the excellent results! It’s great to see that you’re saving some serious $$$ while having fun. I bet that you’re also reducing your carbon emissions very significantly but I’m not familiar with the stats for your old car.

Reactions: bluioniq and KevinT
1 - 20 of 35 Posts