Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm looking for a new IONIQ again, for the last 5 years I've had 2 Hybrids and for my driving style they have worked beautifully. Speed + MPG.
I am now concidering an Electric as my yearly mileage has dropped from 20k/pa to 8k/pa but I have questions.. Mainly, can I still drive it like the Hybrid.

I've never driven my IONIQs as per recommendations, I do a lot of motorway miles and its usually running at 70mph... I like quick acceleration so I usually drop it into manual.. will the electric be able to keep up or is it much less powerful than the hybrid.. will the battery not last as long if not driviing at 40mph constantly. There is also no manual gear box and no additional petrol engine so how is the torque on this ?

Option 2 is I go for a hybrid again but have they ironed out the gear box in recent models? Mine which is a 2019 is terrible at selecting the right gears, especially up hills.

·
Registered
557 Posts
The electric has a lot of torque. It’s passing speed is faster than a Subaru WRX. You will be at the lower range and efficiency at 70 MPH. I seldom drive mine at that speed but someone will chime in with the true mi/kWh at that speed. My guess is around 3.5-3.7 mi/kWh so a daily warm weather range of 133-142 miles and 25-33% less than that in the freezing temps.

·
Registered
Silver 2019 Ioniq 38 Prem Plus EV
35 Posts
The electric Ioniq will exceed your performance wishes in speed and acceleration - but it will negatively impact the battery range if you cruise at 70mph! (though the Ioniq has better aerodynamics than many other electric cars).
The range you get will be very dependent on your driving style and the outside temperature (AC and heating are powered by the battery). I would guess your driving style could reduce the 'theoretical' range from near 200 miles to 130.
The biggest issue I have with driving (random long distance routes within UK) is the variable charging infrastructure - if your routes are predictable (same route or known charging points) you may be well served - otherwise I'd delay purchase for 2 years for the infrastructure to catch up.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
@TKGDee steve could get wheel spin at 25-30mph (in sport mode i think) in his with a heavy right foot he was telling me after our meet up

go see if you can test drive one :) that will give you your answer

also think about charging, do you have off road parking close enough to install a charge point?

and check your electrikery tarrif

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Are you looking at the "classic" Ioniq BEV or the Ioniq 5? The Ioniq 5 will favor your speed requirements (and range should that be an unmentioned issue), where the "classic" Ioniq with the same body shape as your former hybrid Ioniq is one of the most efficient EVs on the road and will consume less electricity than the Ioniq 5 - particularly at faster speeds. Even the classic Ioniq BEV should be plenty fast enough for you and will feel faster than your hybrid did.

Transmissions in the HEV and PHEV remain the same hardware.

·
Registered
540 Posts
If you like acceleration and want an electric car, go for a Tesla model 3. Amazing acceleration, much better range and you get access to the reliable, fast and ubiquitous supercharger network. Even for the basic standard range plus model the 0 to 60 mph time is 5.3 s, compared to Ioniq’s 8.3 s.
I’m selling my Ioniq hybrid and getting a model 3 long range - to be delivered this Saturday!. After a test drive, there is no going back to any ICE, or any other EV in this price range.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah lovely replies guys thanks. Given me food for thought.

The route will be standard A50 for 60 miles and mix of city and B roads for 20miles / day. for a total of 80miles round trip home, a single charge would be plenty even with me pretending i'm driving an F type Jag . 😁 I'm wfh now as well so the trips would be a max of 2/month. Additional driving for shopping, days out etc would be on roads no higher than 50mph so I am starting to feel that EV would be more economical for me.

Chargeport space I have, I was hoping for some gov grant but looks like thats only possible if you don't work or have child benefits at the moment..

And finally @Bermah yes I would love a Tesla, anyone who's known me these long years knows that is what I orginally came into this forum to talk about, the comparison between the two and I still do feel like the Ioniq is the poorman's Tesla lol! But not in a bad way, its in no way cheaply made and gives much of the same tech to a certain degree but it's more affordable than a Tesla.

I only lease, generally because I like the feel of a new car every few years and also because I get 100% peace of mind, no responsability for its value, maintenance, or battery replacements and leasing a Tesla is eye watering for something that I will not own. I could buy but again I feel like tech is only going to get better and I'm holding out for the first Hydrogen car 😚

Anyway, from talking to the dealerships, there seems to be more stock in the IONIQ EV then any of the others in atm so prices will be more stable on these this year with the manufacturing issues they are having.

Now the only thing to do is put a paper bag over the front 'grill' (the plastic EV front end makes me 🤮 a little) and spend a week debating on the colour I want. Think its going to be black.. (previously having silver and gun metal silver).

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq 28kWh
356 Posts
Trying to follow the questions in the first thread but I simply advice you to go to a dealer and lend a car for a day or two. Makes much more sense then the gurus guessing wild how you will react

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also where's your license plate? This all looks very illegal :LOL:

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Trying to follow the questions in the first thread but I simply advice you to go to a dealer and lend a car for a day or two. Makes much more sense then the gurus guessing wild how you will react
Oh I will be but there is only so much u can gather from a test run.. Unless you can get the car for 24hrs to take to work and home etc.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I believe it suites your travel well. You will charge daily at home. The Ioniq is very efficient and has great incentives right now due to the Ioniq 5. Leasing especially.
Keep us posted on your decision. I would suggest a 24 hour test drive. I think you will find it's a winner. Front drive is better in the snow for sure.

·
Registered
540 Posts
And finally @Bermah yes I would love a Tesla, anyone who's known me these long years knows that is what I orginally came into this forum to talk about, the comparison between the two and I still do feel like the Ioniq is the poorman's Tesla lol! But not in a bad way, its in no way cheaply made and gives much of the same tech to a certain degree but it's more affordable than a Tesla.

I only lease, generally because I like the feel of a new car every few years and also because I get 100% peace of mind, no responsability for its value, maintenance, or battery replacements and leasing a Tesla is eye watering for something that I will not own. I could buy but again I feel like tech is only going to get better and I'm holding out for the first Hydrogen car 😚
Yes, leasing a Tesla model 3 doesn’t make sense. I explored the option to lease it from Tesla, but the payments were too steep for me. You would end up paying way more than the depreciation of the car.
Ioniq EV is not bad if you don’t need much range and you can charge it at home. Acceleration seems to be somewhat better than the HEV version, according to the specs. What I like about electric cars is the instant torque. No hesitation, no revving up, no downshifing, it just launches. And it’s silent, too!

·
Registered
557 Posts
I am sure someone in the UK may reach out and share theirs for a drive with you soon. I just let two folks test drive My Mach E today…..

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq 28kWh
356 Posts
Front drive is better in the snow for sure.
Yes, Ioniq does very well in snow I must say. It's comfortable to drive and even with loads of snow here it went very well.

Also as mentioned freeway at higher speeds the Ioniq does well. It's low drag so can go fast without depleting the battery momentarly as a Nissan Leaf would do. Only thing to keep in mind is that the range on the worst winter day is half of the best summers eve(!)

This day the car claimed 125km which it did very well with battery to spare. Possibly 150km would have been possible vs 260km in summer the same commute.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV
37 Posts
So i'm looking for a new IONIQ again, for the last 5 years I've had 2 Hybrids and for my driving style they have worked beautifully. Speed + MPG.
I am now concidering an Electric as my yearly mileage has dropped from 20k/pa to 8k/pa but I have questions.. Mainly, can I still drive it like the Hybrid.

I've never driven my IONIQs as per recommendations, I do a lot of motorway miles and its usually running at 70mph... I like quick acceleration so I usually drop it into manual.. will the electric be able to keep up or is it much less powerful than the hybrid.. will the battery not last as long if not driviing at 40mph constantly. There is also no manual gear box and no additional petrol engine so how is the torque on this ?

Option 2 is I go for a hybrid again but have they ironed out the gear box in recent models? Mine which is a 2019 is terrible at selecting the right gears, especially up hills.
Torque is not an issue with electric cars. Nor is the right gearing. Choose the driving style you like to control acceleration response, Eco, Normal or Sport. There is only one gear and acceleration is linear.

The only real questions you have to ask yourself is how far can I go before I need to recharge and are there charging stations nearby. Charging is not instantaneous like filling gas/petrol. It can take a considerable amount of time depending on the charging type (AC vs DC) and its output. Some rough guidelines: DC ~ 40 mins, AC level 2 ~ 4-6 hours, AC level 1 ~ 10-20 hours (these numbers really depend on output of the charging device).

If you are driving consistently at high speeds on a motorway/highway then you will likely get less range than stated on paper. Slowing and stopping on this car helps regenerate electricity used, and that is factored into some of the range numbers you see on paper. Also, use of features (AC/heater/charging mobile phones) may also consume electricity (things rarely noticed by drivers of petrol vehicles) and reduce range. Range and charging is what will really tell you if this car is suitable for your daily needs. EVs are quick, easy to care for and are best suited for urban type driving with frequent stops. Not the best for longer distance continuous driving.

Happy hunting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My new, leased Ioniq Premium SE arrives next week. The car was in stock, and still are from what I can see. V4B seems to be the cheapest price over 3 years, but don't take the maintenance with them as their price is very expensive. Hyundai emailed me a few days after signing and offered it for only £4.09 a month extra, although it may be slightly more for an 8000 mile lease (mine is 5000 miles a year but paying the excess miles still costs slightly less than taking the 8000 mile a year lease. Taking the maintenance does also bump up the excess mileage from 10.8p to 12.6p a mile inc VAT).
I actually prefer the white car as it seems to suit the updated 38kwh version better. Such a shame Hyundai changed the alloys as I preferred the wheels on the 28kwh (the one with the painted grill above is the older model).
As for performance, my current car is a 30kwh Leaf, which is slower than the Ioniq, yet that car still embarrasses many ICE cars in a sprint from the lights.
As for a test drive, I found my nearest dealer with a nearly new car for sale and took that for a test drive.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts