Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

Wondering how often do you see the Battery Saver + message in your Ioniq EV?

I saw the Battery Saver + message three times during the last week across different days. Had my car since January this year and first time this happens.

Don't recall leaving the lights on, doors open or any electronics/cables connected inside the car. I also turn off the stereo each time before leaving the car. Outside temperature was hovering 1 degree here in Toronto.

Should I be concerned about a potential problem down the road? What can cause the 12V battery to discharge?

As always appreciate your feedback!

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai IONIQ Electric Premium
786 Posts
It's eather a bad battery (running low to soon), bad voltage controller (EPCU not charging enough) or a fault in the auxiliary 12V systems (not shutting down fully or drawing power because of a fault).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Patrick for your reply.

I just had the battery replaced as the first one I got when the car was delivered back in December died in two weeks. Back then, dealer said they checked everything and only issue was a the battery.

In your experience, do you see the Battery Saver + message come up often?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Did your "new" battery come from the same batch?
When I still had it turned on it came up incidental every few weeks. Mostly in the weekends after standing still a few days.

I got myself a battery booster to save myself and turned off the battery saver+ function. Getting no messages any more and when it dies overnight I can jumpstart the battery from the booster.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOCO-GB40-UltraSafe-Lithium-Starter/dp/B015TKUPIC

·
Registered
49 Posts
I see this message perhaps 2 - 3 times in a week - seems to appear in the each time I use the car when I haven't used it for perhaps more than 24 hours.

I have assumed this is normal behaviour rather than a sign of my battery failing. I guess I may find out at some point. I have measured the voltage from time to time and it has always been OK i.e. above 12.5 V

I have had one instance of having a flat battery after the side lights were left on - this required usage a batter charger to recharge the battery overnight.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I frequently leave my PHEV FOR 2 or 3 days without use, and I get a aux battery has been recharged message on start up.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I don't recall seeing the message. I do notice the charging cycle on my torque logs (voltage raises to 14V), and it happens very often. I can tell you how often tomorrow (it's late). I think it happens daily almost. And the manual speaks about 72h, I can't remember in what configuration.

I think the battery is small, the infotainment isn't savvy. And on an ICE car, isn't the alternator always eating power?

Also, my 2017 european model has a lead acid battery. Other models may have Li-Ion.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I see it quite frequently. I know the manual says it checks every 72 hours, but I have seen in more often than that. I find when I take short trips only during the day, I'll get the message the next day. If I drive a reasonable distance, I don't get the message. I don't know at what voltage reading it decides to recharge - that would be an interesting experiment. I could measure the voltage each night and correlate to when I see the message the next day. Maybe I'll get around to it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
You'd better buy an OBD dongle and Torque Pro and trust what the BMS tells you.
IIRC, it discharges to 11.8V and charges to 12.8V. That's about 20% to 80% SoC. Oh.... Mine is lead-acid. Yours could be Li-Ion...

·
Registered
786 Posts
You'd better buy an OBD dongle and Torque Pro and trust what the BMS tells you.
IIRC, it discharges to 11.8V and charges to 12.8V. That's about 20% to 80% SoC. Oh.... Mine is lead-acid. Yours could be Li-Ion...
Just to be on the safe side, better measure with calibrated voltage meter now and than to compare. Who says the internal voltage measurement isn't off by a few tenth.
Since this measurement is the only one used by the charging system (EPCU) and diagnostic it can be off and still report Ok. Using OBD only can fool you this way.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Sure! If you take car maintenance into your own hands, it's best. To me, it's mostly curiosity about the design and how much energy do we loose from the main battery when it happens.
Do you think a regular multimeter is suficient? Would you open the circuit beforehand, just to make sure?

·
Registered
786 Posts
I think if you make sure there is no current leak when the car is switched off and systems are in rest. You can measure the voltage when the battery has come to a steady voltage for half an hour (not dropping slowly anymore). Don't open or close doors or cary your key in your pocket because this will generate extra load from activated systems.

I think a full 12v battery charge can cost you 600-800Watthour. (40Ahx12Vx1.5efficiency) Could be about 2-2.5% from the main battery. But you never make a full charge during a battery saver+ cycle so about 1-1.5% probably.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I think if you make sure there is no current leak when the car is switched off and systems are in rest. You can measure the voltage when the battery has come to a steady voltage for half an hour (not dropping slowly anymore). Don't open or close doors or cary your key in your pocket because this will generate extra load from activated systems.

I think a full 12v battery charge can cost you 600-800Watthour. (40Ahx12Vx1.5efficiency) Could be about 2-2.5% from the main battery. But you never make a full charge during a battery saver+ cycle so about 1-1.5% probably.
Interesting point here if the key fob is within detection range, does that drain 12v battery, also does the car alarm and immobiliser (little red flashing light in front of dashboard) whilst car is locked and at rest.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Battery saver + message

I saw it for the first time today. According to the manual it is not an issue unless it comes on too often. I have had my Ioniq since May.

·
Registered
453 Posts
my PHEV comes on most time I park up at work and go on holiday for a week, my mate charges the car up when I am away, but if he does it at begining of week, I get message and battery only at 99% ! if he leaves it till end of week, no message and 100% in battery!

·
Registered
355 Posts
During the summer and autumn, I've almost always seen the battery saver message after leaving my car unused for a few days.

But now, in the winter, the message no longer comes up. Because of the low temperatures, I've used heating a lot, making the combustion engine turn on.

So does that mean that the lead-acid battery is only charged when the combustion engine is running, or by the battery saver, not when you plug the car in to charge the traction battery?

·
Registered
197 Posts
During the summer and autumn, I've almost always seen the battery saver message after leaving my car unused for a few days.

But now, in the winter, the message no longer comes up. Because of the low temperatures, I've used heating a lot, making the combustion engine turn on.

So does that mean that the lead-acid battery is only charged when the combustion engine is running, or by the battery saver, not when you plug the car in to charge the traction battery?
My understanding is, that if auxiliary battery needs charging, it gets charged from mains... Therefore I am really concerned with so many people having similar issue as there should be no issues with flat battery in theory.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I frequently leave my PHEV FOR 2 or 3 days without use, and I get a aux battery has been recharged message on start up.
Same here. It is normal.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just occurred to me after 10 days ownership!. Trip to Oxford and back on Saturday, and then fired up the information display for a couple of minutes on Sunday. Got a warning that the aux battery was low and closed down the car. Today, it was flat and needed the AA to restart it. Left in running for 15 minutes and then a shopping trip into town. Hopefully, it will start again next time, which might be a couple of days.

·
Registered
197 Posts
My understanding is, that if auxiliary battery needs charging, it gets charged from mains... Therefore I am really concerned with so many people having similar issue as there should be no issues with flat battery in theory.
Was just checking something through the window and noticed my Ioniq 3rd LED blinking, i.e. charging the battery. So my assumption that aux battery is charged from mains was either completely wrong (aux battery is only charged from car main battery) or only partially (aux battery can be charged either from mains/car main battery) :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts