Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,906 Posts
yep, this is normal,

the BMS (battery management system) will generally keep the state of charge in the middle third of the display, this is so there is room for more charging on long down hill roads

you will notice if you do 75+mph it will start going into the 1st segment of the top section but dropping out of EV mode sooner

all of this is the compromise between maximum battery usage vs battery life

and they seem to have got it ok, as a number are over the 100,000 mile / 150,000 km mark now with no visible loss of battery capacity

·
Registered
201 Posts
I just bought a new 2020 SEL Ioniq (none Plug-in). The battery never charges over half ?
The battery does charge to over half, but only under very specific circumstances, such as when braking downhill over distance. It won't generally charge over the middle-third of the meter (and typically in my experience, the lower half of that middle third) in more common use, simply because it is not fuel-efficient for it to do that.

Since all the energy put into the battery can only come from the fuel put into the car, there comes a point where charging the battery more than necessary will result in the use of more fuel from the tank than you would be able to save by using EV mode. Since the car can't predict the terrain or driving style, the battery management system will be programmed for best/most efficient anticipated use of the battery - including battery longevity.

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Try descending a large hill or mountain.
Or drive around town in Sport mode. Even in winter when the ICE must run to provide hot water for the cabin heat, the battery usage may not keep up with the charging. Start worrying when the battery indicator falls below the 1/3 mark!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Start worrying when the battery indicator falls below the 1/3 mark!
Not necessarily. Mine drops below that mark from time to time, sometimes even by a couple of 'blobs', but it recovers quickly when it needs to, with normal driving, and doesn't need any particular intervention.

I suspect it's more common for this to happen in winter - or cold weather generally - because battery discharge rates seem a bit higher than otherwise, but the battery management system does seem to have good control of the situation.

In my experience, it's no worse than there being a high level of charge in the battery - just somewhat unusual, but broadly nothing for the driver to worry about.

All bets are off if battery charge is dropping and there appears to be no recharging taking place when the ICE is running or braking takes place. That's likely a problem with the SoC below 1/3!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts