Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if the battery will lose any of its charge if it is parked up for a few weeks with everything shut down.
If it does how much will it lose each week. I only ask because I will leaving my wonderful IONIQ EV parked at the airport 2 or 3 weeks and I want to leave enough charge in the car when it is parked up.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Longest I've left mine stand for is 4 days . Battery was exactly as I parked it

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
The traction battery will be OK if you leave it filled at 50% for example. The risk factor is the 12 V battery that is kept rather small (and light) in BEV or Hybrid cars because it has no function in starting an ICE, so it does not need to be powerful. Anything taking current from the 12 V battery during these weeks will get it empty.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The auxiliary 12V battery will be topped up every 72 hours from the main traction battery whilst the vehicle is parked up.
As long as you have sufficient charge in the traction battery you should have no need to worry.
That's new to me, thanks for sharing. Is that the case for any / most modern BEV or just the Ioniq? Any link for that?

·
Registered
843 Posts
That's new to me, thanks for sharing. Is that the case for any / most modern BEV or just the Ioniq? Any link for that?
No link I'm afraid, but I can tell you that its detailed on page H77 of the EV variant handbook (which I downloaded from somewhere!)

My current Outlander plug-in tops up at 2am every morning if required, so I guess (and I am speculating) that most EV's have some sort of similar function.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Instructions are in the user manual page H77 as Aux. Battery Saver+ section.

Least Nissan Leaf 2012 model did not have this feature but 12Volt battery went empty 2 times in my 3 year use.

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
The auxiliary 12V battery will be topped up every 72 hours from the main traction battery whilst the vehicle is parked up.
As long as you have sufficient charge in the traction battery you should have no need to worry.

Yes, I remember that option now. But maybe you can check whether the option is really "on". It should be when the car is delivered.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for your replies. I will look to see if the option is on for the auxiliary 12V battery to be topped up every 72 hours from the main traction battery whilst the vehicle is parked up. Also I will make sure that the car has a fast charge before I park it up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Spot on guys. One thing to note is that it will only do so 10 times, so times 72 hours is for a period of 30 days only. After that you need to drive the car or risk the auxiliary battery going flat.

Aux. Battery Saver+
The Aux. Battery Saver+ is a function
that monitors the charging status of
the 12 V auxiliary battery.
If the auxiliary battery level is low, the
main high voltage battery charges
the auxiliary battery.
Information
The Aux. Battery Saver+ function will
be ON when the vehicle is delivered. If
the function is not needed, you may
turn it off in the Users Settings mode
on the cluster. For more information,
refer to the following page.
Mode
• Cycle Mode :
When the vehicle is OFF with all
doors, hood and tailgate closed, the
Aux. Battery Saver+ activates every
72 hours according to the auxiliary
battery status.
• Automatic Mode :
When the vehicle is ON with the
charging connector plugged in, the
function activates according to the
auxiliary battery status to prevent
overdischarge of the auxiliary battery.
Information
• The Aux. Battery Saver+ activates
maximum of 20 minutes. If the Aux.
Battery Saver+ function activates
more than 10 times consecutively,
the function will stop activating,
judging that there is a problem with
the auxiliary battery. In this case,
drive the vehicle for some period of
time. The function will start activating
if the auxiliary battery returns
to normal.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
no similar system on the hybrid though :(

only thing about battery saver is in he hybrid manual is

Battery saver function
The purpose of this feature is to prevent the battery from being discharged. The system automatically
turns off the position lamp when the driver turns the engine off and opens the driver-side door.
With this feature, the position lamps will turn off automatically if the driver parks on the side of road at night.
If necessary, to keep the lamps on when the engine is turned off, perform the following:
1) Open the driver-side door.
2) Turn the position lamps OFF and ON again using the light switch on the steering column.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So, if you have a Hybrid and need to leave it parked at say an airport for 4 weeks, what should you do to be able to drive away (or is this not possible!!).

·
Registered
272 Posts
Has anyone recorded how often this occurs? I left my car for about 12 days, and when I started it, I got the message that the Auxiliary battery was recharged. I wish it said how much it needed to recharge it - might point to a problem long before it is a problem. I assume there must be some threshold at which it decides to recharge on its 72-hour check. Does anyone see it regularly?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Whilst Ioniq Electric is parked up and locked, and providing there is charge in the main battery, the 12V AUX battery is maintained indefinitely by 20 minute "pulse" charges every time the car senses it is required. The maximum of 10 x 20 minute charges only applies if the car is plugged in and charging, and the car is in READY mode (i.e switched on) at the same time. That is only likely to occur if you are charging at a service station and using high drain items like heater, lights, stereo at the same time. I can't ever forsee a scenario where you would do that 10 times in succession. In any case the system resets itself after about an hour of driving, or when the AUX battery is sufficiently recharged.
Hyundai handbook says never charge the AUX battery with cables connected, and with the Battery Saver switched on you should never have to charge it anyway. However, I see no problem hooking up a trickle charger to keep it in top condition, especially as they say it is OK to jump start the car if the AUX battery is flat. Lets face it if a whacking great jolt of electricity from a jump start is OK, a 2 or 3amp trickle charger isn't going to cause an issue. I think Hyundai are just being a bit OTT with their safety advice.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have jumpstarted the auxiliary battery once using a spare battery to my MC, a BMW R1200GS. The battery is one I have replaced so it's half good say 5 to 7 Ah. This worked very well and I have now put it in the trunk just in case.

·
Registered
58 Posts
no similar system on the hybrid though :(

only thing about battery saver is in he hybrid manual is
about auto turn off for position lamp when driver opens door.

(I realize talk about HEV is off topic. sorry)

My US 2017 Ioniq Hybrid Blue has a button next to the fuel port cover release named "Battery Reset" or something like that...
In fact there IS NO 12V battery in the car. It either creates 12V from the 240V main battery or has a tap (haven't taken it apart to find out) on 4 cells on the main battery. Which ever it is, there is a button which is to be used rather than a 'jump' if you run down the virtual 12V battery listening to the radio or whatever.
Download the OM for itl It is in my manual and in my downloaded.

I'll be in Italy next month away from my new love (HEV). I intend to have a neighbor check on status every week. Hope I remember to report back... There isn't really much use of battery when off. I'm hopeful. My Accents always started right up after 4 or 5 weeks in the garage. should I expect less? Paid a little more...

·
Registered
118 Posts
U.S cars seem to have the battery reset button, but here in the UK we get (at least on the EV version) what is best described as a battery maintenance system that automatically prevents the 12V battery from discharging completely. Hyundai told me that it shouldn't be relied on to maintain the 12V battery in a charged state, but then I don't think anybody in the UK Head Office, their Technical Department, or at the dealerships knows what the **** they are talking about. Problem is the Ioniq is their first hybrid/EV, so most of them are totally clueless.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
So, if you have a Hybrid and need to leave it parked at say an airport for 4 weeks, what should you do to be able to drive away (or is this not possible!!).
Well, I left it for three and it started right up - with more battery than it was parked with... :laugh:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I left my EV for over 4 weeks at an airport and it only lost a couple of miles range. Upon powering up it told me the Auxillary battery saver had been used (which is understandable). The range dropped at a greater rate than usual though on the journey home from the airport but not considerably.

·
Registered
32 Posts
U.S cars seem to have the battery reset button, but here in the UK we get (at least on the EV version) what is best described as a battery maintenance system that automatically prevents the 12V battery from discharging completely. Hyundai told me that it shouldn't be relied on to maintain the 12V battery in a charged state, but then I don't think anybody in the UK Head Office, their Technical Department, or at the dealerships knows what the **** they are talking about. Problem is the Ioniq is their first hybrid/EV, so most of them are totally clueless.
Can anyone with European HEV version confirm that there is battery maintenance system that automatically prevents the 12V battery from discharging completely? I was not paying to much attention since I was under Impression that all Ioniqs have jump start from traction battery possibility. Now I would like that there is at least this battery maintenance system in place.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts