Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

We living in Ontario Canada, my 2017 Ioniq EV already 124,000 KM with 4 year usage, summer will charge L2 from home, winnter time will charge L3 from outside sometime, and I have to drive around 120KM every day.

My question is start this year summer time, my battery show up only can drive 160KM for 100% fully charge, does normal? Because I went to Hyundai dealership and checked they said everything normal, no issue at all.

It anyone have most issue? I attached pictures is was April 2021.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Please try and post a more current picture as that is quite old (April) and the summer is upon us. What is your range in June, 2021? Was the climate or heat on when this photo was taken? Provide a picture of the current "electricity use" tab. What did the dealer or repair shop say about the batter specifics, voltage etc. There are so many things that can effect range, the battery being only one of them, that it is impossible to say if this is degradation or not. I could drive my Ioniq hard and put the heat on high and have it show 99 miles. Please post some more current information so we can comment or try to assist. BTW, why is the "brake" light on while it's in Drive? Seems very odd and a brake issue can drastically effect range..

Thanks!

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq premium -19, 28kWh ~46k km
71 Posts
Best is to do a drain test. Reset consumption and a trip meter and drive it as low as you dare. Lower is more accurate as the energy content is not linear with soc.

If you do 150km @ 166Wh/km going from 100-5%
(150*166)/.95 = ~26.2kWh available energy which seems to be in the ballpark of what a few of us got in another thread.

Now if your average consumption is 166Wh/km in the summer something could be wrong, check brakes, tires driving style etc. (unless you commute at @120-130km/h). Hyundai had checked your battery so it should be within spec.

·
IONIQ Electric, SE (w/ CCP) 2018.
920 Posts
You can also purchase an OBD II dongle and connect it to EVNotify or EVWatch Dog on your phone. With those two apps you can see cell voltages. The cell voltages should all be within 0.02V of each other.

150km of range in April does seem a bit low though, especially if the temps were at or above 10 C. To date the IONIQ battery pack for the MY 17 to 19 versions of the car has been excellent.

·
Registered
65 Posts
. BTW, why is the "brake" light on while it's in Drive? Seems very odd and a brake issue can drastically effect range..
+1
Rear brakes tend to get rust, lots of it. Unless you regularly make some extra braking or with sandpaper clean them they jam up pretty quickly.

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq 28kWh
282 Posts
Last summer when I bought the car it typically said a range around 235km Worst winter day my car said 125km. Now with 50000km on the ODO it reports 255km.

It's very clear the GOM adjusts to the current situation. It does a great job and I assume you really got about 160km of range with the conditions you have and how your car is mechanically.

To check battery status the GOM is not a good way, you would really need to drive it to zero (car stops by it self) then recharge it to full on low power via a meter plug. The internal charger uses about 10% I think so if the meter says 26kWh charged only 90% of that goes to the battery.

Next or rather also do the OBD2 check. Some apps reports battery cell voltages individually and also a health (SOH) number that on my car is 100%. I read that the SOH stays at 100% for very long, a buffer is mentioned that lets you use a little more as the total degrades to keep you at the same actually NET capacity.

For the car to get the typical summer range showing 230-250km you would need the brakes to be in good shape. Wheel bearings in good shape. Gearbox oil level correct. Driving at resonable speeds like 80-90kph/50mph tops. Tires of a good brand rated A or even B... not E or F like the cheapo ones. The correct tire pressures or even a little above. And the cabin temp set to a resonable level together with trips that are not too short so that the car needs to reheat the cabin time after time.

My car is in good shape, lowering springs 30mm, flat underbody tray, higher tire pressure, 21.5Celcius in the cabin and I travel 50+50km every day with average speeds of 74kph = GOM says 254km on a summer day with AC off and about 235km with AC on. And the car actually does the predicted ranges very well.

I see some if these things have already been mentioned above.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all, post photo for this morning. most on highway is 120km/h and city will go 60km/h everyday.

·
Registered
Ioniq EV 2018, EU version
10 Posts
Well, if you divide 28 by 1,78 (to see, what estimated consumption the computer used to show the estimation) you get 15,73 Wh / 100 km. That's pretty close to the values we see in your history. So, there is no problem with the car or the battery: you drive a bit on the fast side, therefore the range will be a littlebit shorter.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq premium -19, 28kWh ~46k km
71 Posts
And if you calculate on an effective capacity of 26kWh you should get 147Wh/km, which is very close to what your car says(146). With 120km/h on the motorway all seems fine. Maybe degradation around 7-10%, hard to tell without a full discharge test.

25-26kWh would be a good guess att where your battery ought to be with 4 years and 120k km. :)

·
920 Posts
As mentioned about, the GOM uses previous drives to calculate your predicted range. Your past energy usages of between 12 kWh/100km and 14 kWh/100km are bang on, especially for high speed stuff at 120 kph. I do notice however that you have one trip at 22 kWh/100km. That result is almost certainly affecting your predicted range. I suspect your GOM will adjust as that result is buried further and further down the pile. For comparison, I'm getting between 11 and 12 kWh/100 km at the moment. That's with 49 + 46 km trips each day at an average speed of around 60 kph (most of the trip at 90 kph on the highway and some much slower on residential side roads).

Reactions: Superhero

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq 28kWh
282 Posts
For reference a friend bought a Leaf 24 year 2014 100000km ODO. It goes 1/3 of my Ioniq. Less capacity, more degradation and like 165Wh/km where the Ioniq uses 110Wh/km. Nissan sold this car over here with 199km range advertised. LOL

·
920 Posts
For reference a friend bought a Leaf 24 year 2014. Nissan sold this car over here with 199km range advertised. LOL
My friend has the MY2015 24 kWh Leaf. It was sold here in North America with an advertised range of 138km. His has about 90k km on the clock and has minimal degradation at the moment. But he very rarely Fast Charges and we have very mild weather here in Vancouver.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts