Registered
37 Posts
From Jaz' post above:

in Snow mode -
  • permanent AWD
  • reduced power
  • slow acceleration
  • max regeneration level 1

I guess just the 3 lower ones for RWD, assuming it has snow mode? Those points make sense for both RWD and AWD :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
In my group of friends I'm typically the guy to ask about automotive stuff, so I'm a bit embarrassed to ask this question. My only experience in driving in snow and ice in a RWD car was decades ago, living in an area where those conditions were rare, back when there were only RWD cars and 4WD trucks. The car drivers were expected to install chains when things got slimy. I remember even with chains you could find yourself in a situation where the front wheels wouldn't steer you up even a gentle slope and you were basically stuck.

When I moved to areas where there was a real winter, I always had FWD or AWD and never had a problem. During those decades technology has advanced.

So now I'm thinking about an Ioniq 5, seeing that the RWD version gets significantly better range, and also that in the AWD version the front wheels are completely disengaged much of the time. And now we have traction control (TC) and automatic stability control (ASC). So my question is, today, how big an improvement is AWD over RWD with electronic assist? Seems to me that a decent ASC would detect if the steering wheel was turned but the car wasn't changing direction, and add some one-side braking to help. With RWD you only have driving force through the rear wheels, but traction control would allow you to make the most of that, without spinning up the lower-traction wheel - AWD would be better climbing the steeper hills, but would assisted RWD suffice in most cases?

Anyone here with experience with well-assisted RWD in nasty winter conditions? What do you think?
In my experience, the most important factor for safety in driving on snow or ice is tires. Winter rated tires are a must. AWD is a benefit in pulling away from rest but that's all. It is no benefit in terms of handling while driving, steering or, more importantly, stopping, or avoiding skids.

Modern TC and ASC systems can help RWD considerably in the winter. I had a Mercedes S class that had both technologies and it performed very well on snow and ice with winter tires, but noticeably worse if the systems were disabled.

·
Registered
Audi S4 & H2 SX SE
94 Posts
so what does the snow mode do for RWD only? I assume it dappens the speed in which you pull away ??
100% would reduce torque and limit spin and probably reduce power I am guessing as well. can't wait till I eventually get my rwd long range

21 - 25 of 25 Posts