Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes I have the same noise also, in the same instances you describe. From the looks of this thread and other forums it seems that almost all AWD must have the noise, and some are just yet to hear it. At least its so common that either its normal operation or its going to be a recall! haha

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good news is this thread made me feel a little less crazy. Bad news is I found this thread because I heard the same thing.

At about 750 miles now I just heard the same noise on our AWD Limited today. Ironically, I heard the sound as I driving past some landscapers using a gas weed trimmer. At first I thought it was that, but as I drove away the sound persisted. A distant small engine is an apt description.

I drove around for bit after trying isolate the noise. I had discovered It's starts around 20 mph, peaks between 25-35 mph, and lasts into the low 40s. Regen levels did not change it. And I noticed it was most frequent in Eco.

Everything tracks with the issues described.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So the past few days I actually can't make the sound anymore...I think its because I have left the car in normal mode and not eco...I will switch back to eco for a few days and see if that brings it back...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Took my Kia EV6 in to the dealership. They are saying it's the front motor differential. Once it disengages It's still slightly touching still. They have it push to the engineers. Waiting to get instruction on how to handle this issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Took my Kia EV6 in to the dealership. They are saying it's the front motor differential. Once it disengages It's still slightly touching still. They have it push to the engineers. Waiting to get instruction on how to handle this issue.
Thanks so much for the update. That makes sense, but it is concerning. Like I said above though, I really think this is at least periodically happening on a lot of these cars, some folks just don't notice it. I have been listening for it, and have only heard it once in the last few days so I wonder what the fix might be.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine does this too. It seems to be related to the temperature as well. It seems to do it more when it's warm out or the car has been driving for a long time. Sounds just like tire drone but dissapears when in sport mode.

Maybe the gear oil thins out a bit with higher temps causing the noise. Mine didn't make any noise for the first few weeks during the winter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine does this too. It seems to be related to the temperature as well. It seems to do it more when it's warm out or the car has been driving for a long time. Sounds just like tire drone but disappears when in sport mode.

Maybe the gear oil thins out a bit with higher temps causing the noise. Mine didn't make any noise for the first few weeks during the winter.
Its probably like mine. Its the motor drive unit. They ordered me a replacement. It wasn't install correctly. the alignment was off and when the front motor disengages the gears are still slightly touching.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 AWD Limited (on order)
13 Posts
Its probably like mine. Its the motor drive unit. They ordered me a replacement. It wasn't install correctly. the alignment was off and when the front motor disengages the gears are still slightly touching.
Very interesting. So Hyundai has actually identified and acknowledged this issue? This is the first I’ve heard of someone with some real insight into this.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts