Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lucked out and my local dealer received an AWD Limited earlier than expected a week ago - so I pulled the trigger and have been having a blast in the I5 all week. Literally take it on random drives at least twice a day just because I enjoy driving it so much.

Tonight, though, I took it out late on completely empty and silent roads and heard a noise that now I can’t unhear.

It’s a buzzing or humming sound that kicks up between 20 and 45mph and is especially pronounced between 25-35mph. (It sounds like a tiny motorcycle is revving up and down in the frunk.) It’s not tire noise and not the VESS noise.

The interesting thing is I can only hear it when the front motors are not engaged - so only in Eco drive mode or Normal (until sufficient acceleration engages the front motors, then it goes away immediately). Sport Mode is silent, as the front motors are always engaged.

Any other AWD owner encountering this? Just not sure what to think. It’s loud enough to hear plainly while talking with my wife in the car at 30mph.

Here’s a comparison of the noise with the front motors engaged and not (Eco vs. Sport going from 25mph to 35mph in each. I’m the only car on the road in the vid - all sounds are from the I5.)

·
Registered
MY22 Ioniq 5 AWD 20" - Atlas White
27 Posts
I'm really struggling to isolate what noise you're describing from that clip. The mic is picking up way too much low end. I can't say I've noticed any frunk dwelling tiny motorbikes in our AWD. If you're only hearing it when the motor is disengaged I'd be suspicious of something gearbox related.

Have you tried listening for it outside the vehicle?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I lucked out and my local dealer received an AWD Limited earlier than expected a week ago - so I pulled the trigger and have been having a blast in the I5 all week. Literally take it on random drives at least twice a day just because I enjoy driving it so much.

Tonight, though, I took it out late on completely empty and silent roads and heard a noise that now I can’t unhear.

It’s a buzzing or humming sound that kicks up between 20 and 45mph and is especially pronounced between 25-35mph. (It sounds like a tiny motorcycle is revving up and down in the frunk.) It’s not tire noise and not the VESS noise.

The interesting thing is I can only hear it when the front motors are not engaged - so only in Eco drive mode or Normal (until sufficient acceleration engages the front motors, then it goes away immediately). Sport Mode is silent, as the front motors are always engaged.

Any other AWD owner encountering this? Just not sure what to think. It’s loud enough to hear plainly while talking with my wife in the car at 30mph.

Here’s a comparison of the noise with the front motors engaged and not (Eco vs. Sport going from 25mph to 35mph in each. I’m the only car on the road in the vid - all sounds are from the I5.)

That does sound odd and my AWD doesn’t do it. You’re definitely sure you don’t have anything stuck in the tread of the tyre?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Probably a relevant thread on German forum:

If interested, any obd2 dongle and Car Scanner Elm Obd2 app will show exactly when the front motor in AWD Ioniq 5 is engaged and disengaged. It seems to be engaged more often than described in the manual.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Probably a relevant thread on German forum:

If interested, any obd2 dongle and Car Scanner Elm Obd2 app will show exactly when the front motor in AWD Ioniq 5 is engaged and disengaged. It seems to be engaged more often than described in the manual.
You can switch the graphic on and watch that. In ECO mode it’s mostly off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks @Urmph. And yeah, @Mikael48, That German thread describes the sound a bit differently (they call it a crackling or grinding) - but the onset conditions sound identical.

The survey in that thread sure brought out a large number of folks with what sounds like similar noise issues when the front motors are not engaged.

I feel like I would have noticed the noise the first day I drove the car - so though I can’t be sure, I believe it started popping up after a week of driving.

Sorry I can’t isolate the noise better @cycloptivity - it’s unfortunately a low frequency sound and mixes into the wind/tire noise. But here’s a slightly noise-cancelled version run through a (free) thresholder. It makes it a smidge easier to hear, perhaps:

Still very curious if any other AWD’s have experienced the noise in the video or had a dealer look into this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
change regen to 0 and see if the issue is still there and see if there is still regeneration happening on the right side.

Sounds like either the alternator is still engaged or reversed polarity (engadged when its not supposed to be), or the wheel bearings are gone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got my car and have the same noise. I didn't notice it at first and just heard it yesterday for the first time. You've explained it perfectly and my situation is exactly the same. Not regen related and only when front motor isn't active. Have you had it looked at?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just got my car and have the same noise. I didn't notice it at first and just heard it yesterday for the first time. You've explained it perfectly and my situation is exactly the same. Not regen related and only when front motor isn't active. Have you had it looked at?
I'm afraid I haven't had it looked at yet (just terrible timing for me to have the car in the shop at the moment) but I did want to report that after a few hundred miles, the decoupled front motor noise has not abated and I believe it's a bit more pronounced now than it was initially.

My wife even asks me about it after she drives the car - it's hard to miss. She's definitely as aware as I am that it's not normal and needs to be looked at it. (I doubt anyone with AWD who has this issue will be able to ignore it - it's gets less subtle the more you hear it!)

I'm going to take it in in a couple weeks. If you happen to get yours in before me I'd love to hear what they find.

That said, just gotta gush that I'm still totally in love with this car and even my wife who wasn't as excited at the start has become a convert and raves about the acceleration on the highway saying things like "It just feels 'safer' on the highway knowing I can always just put the car right where I want it." Just hoping we can get this front motor issue sorted out! 🤞

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm afraid I haven't had it looked at yet (just terrible timing for me to have the car in the shop at the moment) but I did want to report that after a few hundred miles, the decoupled front motor noise has not abated and I believe it's a bit more pronounced now than it was initially.

My wife even asks me about it after she drives the car - it's hard to miss. She's definitely as aware as I am that it's not normal and needs to be looked at it. (I doubt anyone with AWD who has this issue will be able to ignore it - it's gets less subtle the more you hear it!)

I'm going to take it in in a couple weeks. If you happen to get yours in before me I'd love to hear what they find.

That said, just gotta gush that I'm still totally in love with this car and even my wife who wasn't as excited at the start has become a convert and raves about the acceleration on the highway saying things like "It just feels 'safer' on the highway knowing I can always just put the car right where I want it." Just hoping we can get this front motor issue sorted out! 🤞
I purchased mine on the 8th of March and today the 23rd began noticing similar issues you described. I tested it out in all levels of regen braking and only sport mode and i-pedal were silent. Every other drivetrain setting was making the same kind of noise you described. I’m going to take mine in tomorrow to let them check it out and if no one else has discovered a cause for this I’ll let you know what they find out.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Limited Lucid Blue/Gray
227 Posts
I've had noise from the front after fast charging my car, but that's to be expected when it's trying to cool the batteries. I don't think I've ever noticed a low end noise like that. I'll have to remember and see if mine does the same thing.

·
Registered
MY22 Ioniq 5 AWD 20" - Lucid Blue
296 Posts
It may or may not be related to your noise, but I've noticed that on mine at least there's a service campaign due for reduction gear noise. This came up when I entered my VIN in the Hyundai Australia site.
Font Brand Number Rectangle Paper product

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds like my Kia EV6, sound like the same issue. Threw my phone in the tiny frunk. Funny when I play this from my phone vs the computer speakers its much similar to the sound. Like you said its like a dirt bike or something driving in the distance. You can even hear it when the radio is playing. Riding the windows down helps...ha!

People with AWD Kia EV6

·
Registered
95 Posts
"The interesting thing is I can only hear it when the front motors are not engaged - so only in Eco drive mode or Normal (until sufficient acceleration engages the front motors, then it goes away immediately). Sport Mode is silent, as the front motors are always engaged."

So it is probably the unique cluch, specially designed to disengage the front motor. A world's first, allegedly: "The Ioniq 5's front motor features a clutch that can mechanically disconnect it from the wheels to maximize efficiency"

·
Registered
7 Posts
"The interesting thing is I can only hear it when the front motors are not engaged - so only in Eco drive mode or Normal (until sufficient acceleration engages the front motors, then it goes away immediately). Sport Mode is silent, as the front motors are always engaged."

So it is probably the unique cluch, specially designed to disengage the front motor. A world's first, allegedly: "The Ioniq 5's front motor features a clutch that can mechanically disconnect it from the wheels to maximize efficiency"

I am starting to think maybe it was a manufacturing error. Maybe some step in the build process that was so how skipped or maybe spec was off on some of the built motors. Would explain why some don't have this issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts

. Just wondering if you ever got this issue resolved?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any resolution? I have a little over 1,000 miles and got the Limited AWD on 3/3. Yesterday was our hottest day so far and I noticed the same noise while driving at low speeds. Before that it was always so quiet.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 AWD Limited (on order)
13 Posts
Watching this intently as I'm hearing more and more of these issues related to the front motor when its not engaged. I have an ID4 on order and an Ioniq 5 AWD Limited. This is scaring me a little bit as its does not appear that Hyundai is prepared to or even knows how to handle this at least not yet.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts