Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an impression that Eco mode for the AWD was just the rare motor. Haden't notised that the showing in the instrumentcluster.

Did connect an OBD dongel and tested.
RPM 1 is rear motor, RPM 2 is front motor
Didn't find current speed in the list of things I could put on screen, so only look at the two middle numbers,

When starting from fullstopp, the front motor is in operation up to about 2000 rpm, depends on how fast you accelerate.
When slowing down it doesn't kick inn the front before full stopp.

Sadly the app don't update fast enought for all the details.

2000 rpm is basicly what it is at 30 km/h. Every 500-600 rpm up seems to be about 5km/t ekstra speed.
Under it a little bit less it seems

The last part of the video where the front rpm goes up to almost 2400, is when I accelerated faster than the other times.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Surprised it isn't used for regen, especially in ECO mode
I had on while driving home one day, and it did regen with both when it was a steeper hill, but didn't get to replicate it. It was just after a turn off the motorway, and I don't remember if I had to come to a full stop or not at the top off the hill. Just noticed it on the way down.

Will see if I find the settings for regen and current speed for the app, which would be usefull, and do some more checking

·
Registered
IONIQ 5 Project 45 AWD Ultimate 73 Kw
121 Posts
Because of the weight of the vehicle moving that mass from stationary is more efficient with both engines being used. Once underway and not under acceleration the front motor will disengage. Both motors are used for regenerative braking whatever driving mode you've selected.
Auto Regen provides the most efficient return of energy to the car, a number of YouTuber with WAY MORE TIME on their hand then I have put it to the real world test.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5
1 Posts
That is very interesting. My experience is that it doesn't do regen with both motors in normal mode and in the result feeling a bit nervous on slippery roads (even with regen 1). Only choosing snow mode (probably also sport mode) or switching traction control off forces it to always use both motors. Maybe it's different with good traction and high level of regen...
The animation also looks a little different on my car: animated small green dots instead of blue arrows.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD
138 Posts
The animation also looks a little different on my car: animated small green dots instead of blue arrows.
Green = Using power
Blue = Regen

I was testing regen braking using the left regen paddle, and the front motor does kick in at regen a little quicker than the foot brake but have to do more testing.

·
Registered
2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV
149 Posts
This just makes me more interested in a highway mileage test of an AWD car in ECO mode at 70 mph. Anyone in southern California or along the Mediterranean coast who could do such a test in reasonably warm weather so we could get a baseline? Don't even need a full range test, just a good stretch at 70 mph (113 kph) and report average kWh/mi (or km) along with general temp, wind and elevation conditions?

·
Registered
Cyber Grey SEL
43 Posts
Yes, noticed this as well, but the regen level is very reduced and does not seem to increase when you use the brake pedal.
Yes same for me, minimum regen that doesn't increase with the foot pedal unless you switch to higher regen level.

·
Registered
MY22 Ioniq 5 AWD 20" - Lucid Blue
191 Posts
When slowing down it doesn't kick inn the front before full stopp.
I've logged a few drives using Carscanner and it definitely kicks in for driving around the city. I use ECO with auto regen almost all the time.

2000 rpm is basicly what it is at 30 km/h. Every 500-600 rpm up seems to be about 5km/t ekstra speed.
The speed on the dash is probably higher than the real speed. On mine 110 on the dash is really 106. From logging real and displayed speed and motor RPM it looks like about 79 RPM = 1 km/h

Anyone in southern California or along the Mediterranean coast who could do such a test in reasonably warm weather so we could get a baseline?
I logged a couple of 850km trips on 110 km/h highways in Australia. Mine is the AWD with 20" wheels. In Eco with auto regen, SCC set to 110 (so really 106). I understand the US spec has different tyres so you may see a difference there.

First leg we had a lot of heavy rain and strong winds at times. Overall I think we did 21-22 kWh/100km. Not a great trip for logging data since there were a lot of confounding factors which I couldn't measure.

The return trip we had fine weather and not enough wind for it to be obvious. Early in the trip when it was 20°C outside we were doing about 18 kWh/100km. Later on when it got up to 35°C it was something around 19-20 kWh/100km with the AC going harder. This is on rolling hills all the way - enough that the regen would come on during the downs - but without long substantial climbs or descents.

If I ever get around to processing the data I'll post about it. The power use data is pretty noisy so I want to try to remove the effect of gradients, small accelerations and decelerations, and smooth it a bit. Here's a sample of the data I logged which shows how much the power varied as we rolled up and down the hills.
Rectangle Plot Slope Font Line

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used the showing in the insrumentcluste on my way to work this morning. Used the phone for AA, so didn't have the OBD running.

This is what I saw when using Eco mode

Front motor use:
-Only uses front motor up to 30km/t.
-Steep cornering and the car slipps a little because of slippery roads the front kicked in for a little bit.
-With i-pedal it comes on all the time, but at lower capasity it seems. Going to check with the OBD later.

Regen:
-No regen on the front motor at normal use with regen 1,2 or 3
-Front motor regen when using i-pedal
-Front motor regen under 30 km/t when the front motor in use.
-When using the breaks lightly no front motor regen-
-When breaking a little harder, front motor regen kicks in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts