Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Signed the paperwork with Myers Kanata Hyundai - expect the car Wednesday May 17th. Which is about 4 weeks from when I placed the deposit. Wasn't much negotiating as I am leasing and got a great price on the trade-in (for me, it was all about a reasonable monthly payment, 48 month lease - about $700/month).

It's the electric limited model in Polar White - pictures to follow as soon as it arrives. Curious if it is the first Ioniq electric (limited) sold in Ottawa - the dealership did not know... I know it's not the first in Canada.

Had an interesting discussion with the dealership as to whether they will sell more BEVs or Hybrids - if I understood the group there, they expect more hybrids to be sold. I disagreed.

For people in the west end of Ottawa/Kanata, I can easily recommend the dealership .. they are still on a learning curve w.r.t. electric cars but I expect that to change soon.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Signed the paperwork with Myers Kanata Hyundai - expect the car Wednesday May 17th. Which is about 4 weeks from when I placed the deposit.
Congratulations, can't wait to see the pictures and your first-week experience.

Had an interesting discussion with the dealership as to whether they will sell more BEVs or Hybrids - if I understood the group there, they expect more hybrids to be sold. I disagreed.
I also think EV will outsell the hybrid but will be interesting to see. My reasoning is with Ontario subsidy of 14K, you are looking at a 22K car with CCP.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Interesting on the member map, all the Canadian entries are for the EV while in the US, it's the reverse where all the entries are for hybrid. That said, only a minority of owners will know about this board, a smaller group will sign up and even a smaller group will make themselves known for the map.

I think mainstream audiences are more comfortable with hybrids than pure electric vehicles. If you look at the number of Prius Toyota sells in Canada versus the number of Chevy Bolts or Nissan Leafs, it's a pretty big gap. Quick Google online of Prius sales specifically in Canada and it sells about 4 to 6 times more than the Leaf or Bolt. Although the Ioniq does fill in the gap between those two cars, having longer range than the Leaf and being a lot cheaper than the Bolt.

Another comparison is the Volt is still outselling the Bolt in both Canada and the US, although the Bolt still hasn't rolled out fully across Canada and the US, so those numbers could change.

Of course the flip side to this argument is the preorder numbers for the Tesla Model 3 that reached around 400,000 worldwide and that's without even being able to test drive it or being able to see it in person. It's just the long enough range at the right price.

I also think EV will outsell the hybrid but will be interesting to see. My reasoning is with Ontario subsidy of 14K, you are looking at a 22K car with CCP.
Definitely without the 14K rebate I wouldn't have been able to afford the Ioniq as it would have certainly put it into a different price range. Quebec and BC also has good incentives but the rest of Canada doesn't making the Ioniq quite expensive. However, I do see on the member map someone from Calgary to my surprise. :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Another comparison is the Volt is still outselling the Bolt in both Canada and the US, although the Bolt still hasn't rolled out fully across Canada and the US, so those numbers could change.
Also, no dealers around here will take any orders for Bolt. I tried. I only found out about Ioniq from Ontario vehicle incentive website :rolleyes:

Definitely without the 14K rebate I wouldn't have been able to afford the Ioniq as it would have certainly put it into a different price range. Quebec and BC also has good incentives but the rest of Canada doesn't making the Ioniq quite expensive. However, I do see on the member map someone from Calgary to my surprise. :)
Same here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts