Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.autonews.com/article/20160221/OEM05/302229995/hyundai-ioniq-targets-prius-but-not-in-sales

Hyundai Ioniq targets Prius, but not in sales

SEOUL -- Hyundai Motor Co. aims to beat the Toyota Prius at its own game with the new Hyundai Ioniq hybrid, the Korean brand's first dedicated hybrid.

The Ioniq not only targets Prius-like fuel economy, it edges the world's best-selling hybrid on power, performance and size. Its styling is also arguably less polarizing.

The Ioniq's modest sales target of 77,000 a year globally shows that Hyundai grasps the challenge ahead in taking on a car almost synonymous with hybrid driving.

In contrast, the fourth-generation Prius has booked 100,000 orders in Japan alone since going on sale there in December.

Even if the Ioniq doesn't come close to the Prius' volume, though, the new nameplate plays an equally important role for its brand.

For starters, it kicks off a bold electrification push for Hyundai and its sibling brand, Kia. The Ioniq's hybrid technology is the same that underpins the Kia Niro hybrid crossover and forms the basis for a blitz of other upcoming hybrids and plug-ins.

Hyundai plans to introduce 22 eco-friendly models by 2020.

It also bolsters another important strategy for Hyundai: the birth of its Genesis luxury brand. With Genesis' lineup of big and powerful engines, exemplified by the G90's 5.0-liter V-8, Hyundai needs more green cars to meet corporate average fuel economy rules.

The new hybrid offerings should also improve Hyundai's reputation as a laggard in electrified drivetrain technology, said Andy Bae, IHS Automotive's senior analyst for Korea.

In some ways, the Ioniq matches or even exceeds the Prius.

It starts with the car's superslick aerodynamic hatchback silhouette. Unlike the Prius, which pushes the styling envelope with jagged angles and bold tail fins, the Ioniq cleaves closer to conventional. Hyundai executives take pains to emphasize the car does not look like a hybrid.

That styling may cast a wider net of potential customers.

While Toyota touts the redesigned Prius as low and sporty, the Ioniq is lower and wider. It generates more horsepower and pips the Prius in 0-to-60 mph times. Hyundai's hybrid also gets a responsive six-speed dual-clutch transmission, which purists may favor over the Prius' continuously variable one.

The Ioniq has not yet received an EPA fuel economy rating; the car goes on sale in the U.S. in the second half of the year. But under South Korea's testing regimen, it scores a 52.7 mpg, putting it in the same realm as the Prius' 52 mpg city/highway combined. Hyundai has not yet announced U.S. pricing.

Unlike Toyota, Hyundai can't count on a solid base of home-market hybrid sales.

In hybrid-hungry Japan, Toyota sells around 70,000 Priuses a year. In South Korea, though, less than 4 percent of passenger-vehicle sales are hybrids, vs. around 20 percent in Japan.

Korean drivers like bigger, more powerful cars and when they think eco-friendly, they tend to think clean diesel, said Toru Hatano, an IHS Automotive powertrain analyst.

Toyota sold only 1,600 Priuses there in 2015. Hyundai aims to sell 15,000 Ioniqs a year in South Korea.

North America, however, is expected to account for more than half of the Ioniq's global volume, Rhim Byung-kwon, senior vice president for international sales, said at a drive event here. That implies around 40,000 sales. The Prius hatchback's U.S. sales in 2015 totaled 113,829.

In the U.S., the biggest challenge may be cracking Prius' stranglehold on environmental street cred.

"The Prius is so well known on a global basis, it is almost a legend," Bae said. "The fight will be very competitive."

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hyundai Ioniq vs. Toyota Prius

Hyundai Ioniq* Toyota Prius**
Wheelbase 106.3 in. 106.3 in.
Length 185.0 in. 178.7 in.
Width 71.7 in. 69.3 in.
Height 57.1 in. 58.1 in.
Curb weight 3,042 lbs. 3,010 lbs.
Base engine 1.6-liter, 4-cylinder 1.8-liter, 4-cylinder
Torque, lbs.-ft. 109 @ 4,000 rpm 105 @ 3,600 rpm
Transmission 6-speed dual clutch continuously variable
Motor 32 kW 53 kW
Hybrid net hp 139 hp 121 hp
0-60 mph 10.3 sec. 10.5 sec.
*Korean market specifications **U.S. market specifications

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hyundai just needs to get the word out there for the ioniq and I'm sure they'll do very well. The specs on paper looks like it'll beat Toyota's Prius; more power and torque along with more interior space.

·
Registered
323 Posts
They've been good with targeting groups as far as I seen with previous promotions, so that shouldn't be an issue once they finally get it rolling out.
It's almost come down to where all they need to do is come out with a good product and the rest just flows right in.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Think the specs will change for the U.S variant? That's what the comparison is based off of and it would be a shame if they changed anything.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I don't see any of its drive train or powertrain components that differ or how they are configured to work.
Can't even begin to think about what differences there will be. Might be best for them to keep things linear.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Personally, I'd like to see a few more colors .... and we know nothing about the interior colors.
The colors in the brochure are very narrow between white, black and several shades of gray. Only two bright colors.

I hope they have a beige interior option. We live in the desert and I cannot buy a black interior. OTOH, the white interior on the Prius is too much ... there is a thread on PriusChat commenting on the glare and reflection.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I might end up getting some regular color and then wrap it in something more to my liking, although it will cost a lot it does go a long way in protecting the paint.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Despite similar specs between the Ioniq and the Prius, many people who sat in both vehicles all said that Ioniq is way smaller than the Prius especially in the back seat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Despite similar specs between the Ioniq and the Prius, many people who sat in both vehicles all said that Ioniq is way smaller than the Prius especially in the back seat.
Use hyperbole much?

So you personally know "many people" who told you Ioniq is "way smaller?"

As I am in the process of replacing our 2st gen Prius, I have been researching about the Ioniq. From my research, I think the backseat and cargo spacing are negligible, not "WAY SMALLER." Also, I don't personally know "many people" who have been inside of both Prius and Ioniq for comparison; only on the internet.

According to some auto reviews, Ioniq has larger volume. But of course, larger cu " doesn't translate to roomier head/leg room. But for you to use hyperbole to say some absolutes is very disingenuous.

Btw, I don't understand Korean but this video seems to contradict your hyperbole.

This video seems to say Prius has 'slightly' higher headroom:

·
Registered
78 Posts
So you personally know "many people" who told you Ioniq is "way smaller?"
Many Priuschat forum members and moderators who I have met personally as in face to face and had dinner with have sat in both the Prius and Ioniq have said the same. I'm considering the Ioniq PHEV over the Prime due to the 5th seat. I have argued the specs on the Ioniq vs the Prime and was told that even though they both are about the same on paper, Ioniq is smaller IRL. We'll see once it arrives at the dealership.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hopefully Hyundai is smarter than that because they had a lot of examples from the competition to learn from so they don't make the same mistakes or have direction on what customers actually want.

Toyota being in this game from the start (some might say its Toyotas playing field) i'm sure they have something solid to go off of for what they're doing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Prius Prime has dual motors and heat pump. These 2 techs allow the Prime to "floor the pedal" and turn on the heater without firing up the ICE. Anyone know how the Ioniq handle pedal to the metal and the heater?

·
Registered
176 Posts
'Prius forum members and moderators" ......

I have read and contributed to PriusChat since 2009, and there are many very capable, accurate, and knowledgeable writers on the forum. Several I have written too with technical questions that indirectly relate back to the Ioniq .... and I received a straight, valid answer.
That said, there are a few that will defend the Prius under any circumstances. Personally, I am going to wait and judge for myself. I suspect they are more than a little concerned about the ioniq. The Prius is vulnerable because it is just not a handsome vehicle .... a point often mentioned in auto magazines as well as would-be buyers.

Be careful in your discussion to compare apples to apples .... or said another way, hybrids to hybrids. The Ioniq PHEV will not be available until next year (the Prius Prime was delayed, but I think it is due to be available late this year); and Toyota does not even offer a pure EV. It will be interesting in a year to look at sales records and see how it "shakes-out." I have predicted sales success for the Ioniq .... I hope I am right.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts