Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why doesn't the Ioniq have automatic parking? It has lane assist which can control steering and sensors all over the place so why can't it park itself?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Why doesn't the Ioniq have automatic parking? It has lane assist which can control steering and sensors all over the place so why can't it park itself?
Good question. Probably software, mostly, as it seems to have the sensors it needs.

But I don't miss it. I have never had rear camera before, so that makes curb parking a piece of cake for me.

I once tried it on a rented car. I still had to position the car correctly before the reverse, with guidance. But I know, from my driver training, a long time ago, how to position it. And in some crowed city street I don't trust sensors only. Living or dead obstacles may not be detected, and be harmed or harm the car. Need to see. So the system just turns the steering wheel one way, then the other way, perfectly, and stops not to close to the next car. To make it move to begin with, I had to press the accelerator. Not very less cumbersome than doing it manually, in my very limited experience. I can almost always do it just as perfectly, sometimes even better, at least more effectively (faster). And I rarely park in such spots by the pavement curb. I park in a real parking and walk from there, usually.

Back to your question, even if a software update could enable this, such is very, very unlikely. Some hacker could probably make a rootkit, but I doubt the system is open source. :D

·
Registered
776 Posts
Parking assist is for drivers who cant control their car and forgot their driving lessons how to park in backwards. For me (60y) its not worth the money. The Ioniq doesnt have it because it did not fit in the competitive budget for a car in this class. Buy a Ford Focus.

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Maybe they have to leave something out for the mid-life model update..? :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Good question. Probably software, mostly, as it seems to have the sensors it needs.

But I don't miss it. I have never had rear camera before, so that makes curb parking a piece of cake for me.
I would not mind trying the "Parking Assist" once, just for the heck of it.

I would, however, prefer to have 4 cameras and an "around view" instead of an auto-park feature.

I got the "Around View Monitor" in my Nissan Rogue (the other vehicle) and really like it. I think that this is the feature that I miss the most when I drive the Ioniq (especially when idiots park too close to you - front and back - on a street and you have to extricate yourself from that sandwiched position). As my Rogue is getting older, I may start "driving by sound".

·
Registered
776 Posts

I would not mind trying the "Parking Assist" once, just for the heck of it.

I would, however, prefer to have 4 cameras and an "around view" instead of an auto-park feature.

I got the "Around View Monitor" in my Nissan Rogue (the other vehicle) and really like it. I think that this is the feature that I miss the most when I drive the Ioniq (especially when idiots park too close to you - front and back - on a street and you have to extricate yourself from that sandwiched position). As my Rogue is getting older, I may start "driving by sound".
I fully agree on this. Improved view around pays off directly on easier parking in and safely drive away. I can turn a steering wheel myself.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Had my i3 for 3 years and only used the auto parking once to see if it worked! I can park better and faster than the car - probably because I have driven in a city for years and am very used to parallel parking.

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Limited with Premium Package
7 Posts
I just got my Ioniq last week and I know y’all are gonna laugh but I’ve never had a car with so many safety features as this one! I love how it beeps when I back up if I get too close to an object behind me but today when I went to park at the store there was a big truck with a hitch on it that was taking up two parking spaces but I slowly pulled up behind him assuming my car would beep at me before I got too close to his hitch but it didn’t! I ended up hitting his hitch with my bumper! Didn’t cause either one of us any damage lucky because it was just a tap but I was just so pissed that my car didn’t sense how close I was! Supposedly it has forward collision sensors to help you brake if you’re about to run into somebody on the highway but apparently it doesn’t work the same in a parking lot!

·
Registered
Iconiq plug In. Premium SE/ultimate 2019
72 Posts
It would have sense the complete truck but a tow ball sticking out would have been missed,
If it was sensitive to the tow ball it would be beeping for everything with in 6 feet of you,
And many people would complain, gadgets are nice but just an aid suggest your spacial awareness needs sharpening up:)

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Limited with Premium Package
7 Posts
It would have sense the complete truck but a tow ball sticking out would have been missed,
If it was sensitive to the tow ball it would be beeping for everything with in 6 feet of you,
And many people would complain, gadgets are nice but just an aid suggest your spacial awareness needs sharpening up:)
I just tried it today with my girlfriend and then her car. Apparently there’s no sensor in the front to alert you how close you are to a cars bumper in front of you! I even went through all my settings to see if I can find someway to activate it and couldn’t find nothing other than the forward Collision warning which is turned on!

·
Registered
806 Posts
The forward collision system is operated by a radar unit behind the front Hyundai badge.
The forward parking sensors (ultrasound), if fitted, are activated by first selecting reverse then forward or by manually operating the switch on the center console.

·
Registered
'17 Marina Blue HEV Ltd I O N I Q since 25 Jul '17
1,835 Posts
I just tried it today with my girlfriend and then her car. Apparently there’s no sensor in the front to alert you how close you are to a cars bumper in front of you! I even went through all my settings to see if I can find someway to activate it and couldn’t find nothing other than the forward Collision warning which is turned on!
Forward parking sensors are not available in either the American or Canadian markets. Only rear parking sensors.

The forward collision system is operated by a radar unit behind the front Hyundai badge.
The forward parking sensors (ultrasound), if fitted, are activated by first selecting reverse then forward or by manually operating the switch on the center console.
The "forward collision system" is a separate system from the parking sensors. While I believe the FCS is available on all markets on any trim equipped with Smart (radar-guided) Cruise Control, only certain markets (mostly UK and Europe, I think, but possibly others) are equipped with forward parking sensors.

I believe cars equipped with forward parking sensors also have a button, located on the far side of the gearshift (in HEVs & PHEVs at least) to enable/disable them.

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
'17 Marina Blue HEV Ltd I O N I Q since 25 Jul '17
1,835 Posts
As an additional note, the Forward Collision System does not operate at parking speeds.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts