Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
This time around the playing field seems to be almost even with the two. These days people are more open than ever to get a Hyundai, then there's the reluctance to stay Toyota with some. Tough to say what the numbers will be, even Hyundai can't answer that, no brand or service can, all comes down to the numbers we see once orders get published.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The Ioniq will better the Prius in nearly every category. It will absolutely crush the Prius in sales. I can say this with confidence because:

1. Toyota has disaffected even long-time Prius owners with the styling of it's new 4th gen model. Toyota is still working the weird space pod meme and they will repulse not only potential new customers but long-time customers as well. Those who wouldn't go near a 3rd gen Prius because of its styling won't go anywhere near the 4th gen except to point and mock. Prius owners formerly believed that their cars had to be ugly to be aero. Now they look at the Ioniq and realize that's not so.

2. Prius owners believed that they had to sacrifice handling and driving satisfaction to get the big mpg numbers. The Ioniq will prove that notion false also.

3. The Prius' HSD requires two big, expensive electric motors to counteract the torque of the ICE. It was the best tech available back in the day but Hyundai's drive is much more efficient and much cheaper because they don't need the big, expensive motors that Prius' HSD mandates. We don't have pricing for the Ioniq yet, but Hyundai has the opportunity to beat up Toyota on price and you know they will.

4. Toyota has been foisting these completely obsolete NiMH batteries on its hybrid customers for years because they own the battery factory and because they can get away with it due to lack of competition. Hyundai will offer state-of-the-art LG lithium-polymer batteries and their battery has twice the capacity of the new Prius'. This, combined with ECO-DAS, will enable the Ioniq to beat the Prius in the all important economy metric. Once the road tests start coming in with the Ioniq the clear winner in economy, Prii will sit unloved and sharply discounted on dealer lots.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Ioniq will better the Prius in nearly every category. It will absolutely crush the Prius in sales. I can say this with confidence because:

1. Toyota has disaffected even long-time Prius owners with the styling of it's new 4th gen model. Toyota is still working the weird space pod meme and they will repulse not only potential new customers but long-time customers as well. Those who wouldn't go near a 3rd gen Prius because of its styling won't go anywhere near the 4th gen except to point and mock. Prius owners formerly believed that their cars had to be ugly to be aero. Now they look at the Ioniq and realize that's not so.

2. Prius owners believed that they had to sacrifice handling and driving satisfaction to get the big mpg numbers. The Ioniq will prove that notion false also.

3. The Prius' HSD requires two big, expensive electric motors to counteract the torque of the ICE. It was the best tech available back in the day but Hyundai's drive is much more efficient and much cheaper because they don't need the big, expensive motors that Prius' HSD mandates. We don't have pricing for the Ioniq yet, but Hyundai has the opportunity to beat up Toyota on price and you know they will.

4. Toyota has been foisting these completely obsolete NiMH batteries on its hybrid customers for years because they own the battery factory and because they can get away with it due to lack of competition. Hyundai will offer state-of-the-art LG lithium-polymer batteries and their battery has twice the capacity of the new Prius'. This, combined with ECO-DAS, will enable the Ioniq to beat the Prius in the all important economy metric. Once the road tests start coming in with the Ioniq the clear winner in economy, Prii will sit unloved and sharply discounted on dealer lots.
I completely agree with every point there. The new gen Prius vastly upset quite a bit of prior owners and potentials. The Prius was pretty much the "go-to" for high mpg numbers and we didn't really have anyone else in that segment to shut it out. The Ioniq definitely seems more than capable to take it down from all angles

·
Registered
175 Posts
IN the US, there is also the warranty on the hybrid battery. To my knowledge, Hyundai is the only company to provide a lifetime warranty (for the first owner) on the hybrid battery.

·
Super Moderator
8,216 Posts
IN the US, there is also the warranty on the hybrid battery. To my knowledge, Hyundai is the only company to provide a lifetime warranty (for the first owner) on the hybrid battery.
that does rather limit the desirability of low mileage exdemo cars as the dealer was the first owner so the person buying the demo gets a lower warranty on the battery not a lifetime

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'm a Prius owner and am totally turned off of the new Prius, resonating with all the points above. All part of why I'm going Ioniq.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I did look at the Prius, even though the older model I had previously pretty much put me off, but the test drive felt like driving a barge, it felt tight on internal space, and the CVT hasn't improved much through the years.

Combine all that with an inside looking more like a fridge freezer than a roadgoing vehicle and it was enough to put me off hybrids and go for a diesel, right up to the point where the govt changed its policy on diesels and I was `forced` to try the Ioniq. Bought one off the single test drive!

Reactions: malcnorth
1 - 8 of 8 Posts