Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hyundai Ioniq vs Toyota Prius | Auto Express

Hyundai has entered the hybrid market with its new Ioniq, but does it have what it takes to topple Toyota’s Prius?
Hyundai’s rise from bit-part player to genuine contender in the global car market has changed perceptions of the firm in next to no time. The brand has broadened its offering with everything from affordable small cars to upmarket SUVs, and now it’s beginning its assault on the eco car sector with its all-new Ioniq.
This is the first hybrid Hyundai to land in UK showrooms, and will be sold alongside plug-in hybrid and all-electric models. However, this standard hybrid version of the Ioniq conforms to a familiar recipe, with a conventional 1.6-litre petrol engine linked to an electric motor to deliver impressive claimed fuel efficiency at an affordable price. Not that this is anything new, of course, because the Toyota Prius has been combining these methods of propulsion for years – and the latest fourth-generation version of the car does it to great effect.

The Prius picked up the Green Award at the 2016 Auto Express New Car Awards, and has already seen off the challenge of the Kia Niro hybrid SUV, which shares much of its mechanical make-up with the Ioniq.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Ellie May or Granny Clampett?

Granny Clampett!--autoexpress

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am still waiting for a meaningful comparison of real life consumption between the new Prius and the Ioniq. And there are some indications that this "review" cannot be taken as a reliable source. The given numbers 57.8 mpg (if I do the maths with the UK mpgs correct that's 4.9l/100km) for the Prius and the 47.9 mpg (5.9 l/100km) seem to be toooo different. Looking at the also linked comparison between Prius and Kia Niro, the Prius numbers are the same (57.8mpg) while the Kia Niro has an incredible 59.6mpg (4.7l/100km). Thus it looks very much so that the cars have been tested separately under absolutely unclear conditions. So while each of the numbers may very well be valid for a given scenario, they don't add up when compared to each other.

Interestingly, in the Prius/Niro comparison, the Kia was better in almost all aspects, including the fuel consumption. Nevertheless the final verdict was 1st Prius, 2nd Niro with the reasoning "However, it [Kia Niro] can't match the Toyota's broad list of talents, while its emissions aren't that impressive for this kind of machine." ehemm, well, anyone can make up their own minds...

I hope for the first Ioniqs to enter the States and that some of the enthusiasts over there scrutinize them thoroughly.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i posted this as I thought the article was flawed

when I test drove the Ioniq the other week I thought the gearbox was fine, under normal driving you really didn't notice the swap to and fro electric, petrol, or the gear changes

if you put it in sport mode and booted it then yes, the gear changes were noticeable, where as with the prius there is in effect no gear changes as the CVT gently changes ratio as the car picks up speed, and that seems to be the main reason autoexpress chose the prius over the Ioniq, I would challenge them to boot a manual car and get the acceleration as smooth as the prius, but in my opinion as the Ioniq engine don't start revving hard like the pius when you try and increase speed, that more than makes up for the gear changes as there is less noise and fuss from the engine

if you drive it like it was designed (an ECO car) instead of tying to see if you can get it to beat a Ferrari in a 1/4 mile then I think the Ioniq beats the Prius

·
Registered
10 Posts
I used to have a Prius 2009 model. Since one week the hybrid Ioniq.
I drive slow and use drive eco friendly.

My Prius would do like 22 km per liter. 24 with warm weather.
My first 600 km were close to 20 km per liter.

Today I arrived after 60 km at 3.8 liter per 100 km. So that is 25 km per liter.
Speed is everything. Much congestion results in better mileage.

At 120 or 130 km/hour these numbers are not possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts