Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL - Lucid Blue
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried Auto regen, but I don't like the fact that it's unpredictable. Does that bother you? Sometimes when I let off the gas, there's no discernible regen. Other times it acts as if I'm in Level 3. It might be working on an algorithm for energy savings, but it leaves me as a driver confused. Is it going to slow this time or isn't it? As a driver, I need to know automatically, without thinking about it -- especially in an emergency situation.

·
Registered
Preferred AWD L.Blue
166 Posts
Tom, I haven't found Auto too unpredictable. If there's no vehicle in front of me, and I lift off, it almost coasts - level 0 or 1.
If there's traffic ahead, or coming up to a stopped vehicle, it will "brake" harder, and increase to level 3 if quite close, or, if driving quickly towards a stopped vehicle, it will "brake" harder (level 3) at a greater distance.

But I certainly wouldn't rely on it for an urgent stop. In an emergency, I think the instinct still has to be go hard for the brake, but squeezing the left paddle hard may get you a jump start before your foot gets to the brake.

But FYI, I'm working on testing the brake lights, and I haven't found them to come on under any regenerative braking - only when the brake pedal is pushed hard enough to get to the physical brakes, not just the regen "brakes". But I want to do some more testing of this to confirm it.

·
Registered
MY22 Ioniq 5 AWD
805 Posts
But FYI, I'm working on testing the brake lights, and I haven't found them to come on under any regenerative braking - only when the brake pedal is pushed hard enough to get to the physical brakes, not just the regen "brakes". But I want to do some more testing of this to confirm it.
I think you had better take car to dealer. In my Ioniq 5 the brake lights come on when regen is level2 or greater, whether activated by brake pedal, paddle or auto regen. This is consistent with my Kona EV but quite different to my PHEV which used friction brakes a lot (apart from at crawling speed, I’ve only noticed the friction brakes activate once since I got the I5).

·
Registered
MY22 Ioniq 5 AWD 20" - Atlas White
29 Posts
I think you had better take car to dealer. In my Ioniq 5 the brake lights come on when regen is level2 or greater, whether activated by brake pedal, paddle or auto regen. This is consistent with my Kona EV but quite different to my PHEV which used friction brakes a lot (apart from at crawling speed, I’ve only noticed the friction brakes activate once since I got the I5).
Yep, I was observing this last night coming home too where I could actually see the brake lights.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Limited AWD Cyber Gray
612 Posts
I noticed if you're on Auto Regen, you can still press the left and right paddles to raise and lower the Regen level bar. And then if you press and hold the left paddle it will brake and put it in the highest Regen levels.
So maybe press left until highest it can go (like it is level 3) and it'll be more predictable.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Limited Lucid Blue/Gray
246 Posts
Auto works fine for me in the city, but it was unpredictable for me on the highway. While driving, if I'm getting close to the car ahead of me it'll see it and do level 3 regen; but if the car is at a stop (coming off the highway into an exit that's backed up so standstill until green light) it'll do level 1 or 0 which is not enough to slow down in time compared to level 3.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 RWD 77.4kW
127 Posts
I'm an i-pedal user, using the throttle to feather how much regen I let the car do when coming to a stop before releasing completely. Similar to engine braking in a standard car, where if you feed it just enough gas it won't engine brake too hard.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Premium 2021
39 Posts
I was a level 3 driver initially but I found that I was getting over-retardation in certain circumstances which made the ride rather jerky. I quickly found that iPedal was very useful in stop-start traffic so I would swap between the two. However I have now discovered Auto mode and whilst I found it a bit unpredictable at first I've persevered and I now think that I understand it better. It means that I'm using more brake pedal than level 3 but the ride is less jerky as the regen is applied more progressively and I think that the car is more efficient. I still swap to iPedal in stop-start traffic though.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Tom, I haven't found Auto too unpredictable. If there's no vehicle in front of me, and I lift off, it almost coasts - level 0 or 1.
If there's traffic ahead, or coming up to a stopped vehicle, it will "brake" harder, and increase to level 3 if quite close, or, if driving quickly towards a stopped vehicle, it will "brake" harder (level 3) at a greater distance.

But I certainly wouldn't rely on it for an urgent stop. In an emergency, I think the instinct still has to be go hard for the brake, but squeezing the left paddle hard may get you a jump start before your foot gets to the brake.

Read through the "road rage" thread. I wired up a brake light indicator and posted some details that thread.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've tried Auto regen, but I don't like the fact that it's unpredictable. Does that bother you? Sometimes when I let off the gas, there's no discernible regen. Other times it acts as if I'm in Level 3. It might be working on an algorithm for energy savings, but it leaves me as a driver confused. Is it going to slow this time or isn't it? As a driver, I need to know automatically, without thinking about it -- especially in an emergency situation.
I hate it and always use i-Pedal. The difference in range between regeneration modes is minimal because once you are on a main road you always have the power on. Coasting at 60mph+ just doesn't happen.
Importantly i-Pedal drops your braking distance substantially in an emergency because you start braking immediately rather than once your foot reaches the brake pedal.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It does seem to depend on how hard you normally brake. For me the change in i-Pedal braking effect depending on whether you start above or below 30mph is annoying as it adds uncertainty in a similar way to Auto regeneration. I would much rather always have full regeneration available but understand it is a legal thing.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 72,6kWh RWD Lucid Blue
241 Posts
If it’s unpredictable, and you have no other traffic, you’re changing the Auto-regen setting.

Auto regen set to lowest regen is always behaving the same way in my car, but very different from Auto with highest regen.

I’m always in Auto (mostly set to lowest regen), and it’s very predictable.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts