Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,
Now I know this post is long, and I am not whingeing about a dodgy widget but for fellow Ocker owners this is an important rallying cry, please try and get through it!
We hail from Ballarat, near Melbourne Victoria have just purchased our our very first Hyundai.
We are trading a 2013 A3 diesel which is a fabulous car but my car owning rationale is to be different whilst not standing out.
The problem is Audis (the brand is not really important, most of the rest are exactly the same) are now more common than Holdens and Fords so any cool factor is gone. The fact that the A3 has industry leading tech kept it in the drive longer and whilst the Ioniq LKAS and adaptive cruise aren't as good, they are good enough.

Out here people see lekky cars as a joke. So I shied away from the I3 on the basis of holding ourselves up to public ridicule plus, having owned Euro cars for ever I know the cost of keeping them on the road and what to expect when selling them. I have owned 4 Saab (would buy a new one in a heartbeat) , the last one (a 2002 9-3 convertible) was given to a wrecker to remove it from the railway station carpark where it was broken into....
The Ioniq PHEV and Hybrid fit my criteria perfectly, only a person with an interest would realise what they are. Call me smug but I like the quiet comfort of knowing who my fellow travelers are without trumpeting it to the world. A bit like a Mason's secret handshake. The Ioniq BEV has that "look at moiee" grill, yuck! That alone is a deal breaker for me.
I would be amazed if there are 50 Ioniqs of any persuasion on the road in Oz which suits me fine. It is an exclusive club of which all members should be immensely proud. We are the smart ones, all of those clowns out there don't know who we are (unless driving the BEV) so we can look down our noses with impunity as we glide past the servo.
Our position of exclusivity is further heightened with the arrival of the Kona EV range. They draw the focus away from the Ioniq, Hyundai will still sell stuff all Konas but the aspiration of the media are focussed here. The Ioniq is now unloved but for us few commanders of the universe.
This privilege does bring risk, we are now swimming in a shallow pool and may need to fight for our right for service. My hope is that Hyundai, as a seemingly honourable company, will look after their loyal converts. I know the Germans and Swedes/Chinese do not. Curse my hard earned Eurosceptism!
Lekky cars may never take off in Australia, we Ioniq owners are more than trailblazers we are the new tenth of 1%. Revel in your anonymity, bask in the knowledge as a commander of the universe you ARE better than everyone else, you have very, very few peers.
I can see each one of you triumphantly nodding as you sip on your tokay. We stand together like the final few Highlanders (the cheesy film, not cheesy 4WD), so must resist the urge to be the "only one". We must stand tall together for the final reckoning with the Hyundai Corporation when we all start to clock up a few kays or our warranties get tired. Stand with me brothers and sisters, we are truly the chosen ones.
Chickenman out.......

Registered
I am also an Australian and the very proud owner of an iONIQ Lekky car, I live in outer Sydney. My little blue Ioniq gets me to work an back just fine, and does longer trips, a few adventurous trips to katoomba and the central coast which test out the limits of the battery range. I am doing a long trip next week to Nowra ( south coast NSW) and plan to make use of the NRMA charging stations to do this.
I also feel like we could be forgotten by Hyundai as the Kona EV sales outnumber Ioniq. I have to call the roadside assist about a month ago. The issue was really my own ignorance and a misreading of the manual, I could not locate the emergency charger release cable. However the "mechanic" who came out was more clueless than I was. It was the first time he had a call to solve an EV problem.

I just wonder, How many ioniq's were sold in Oz? I have NEVER seen anouher one on the road. I see lots of normal Hybrids and quite a few Teslas but not a single Ioniq in around 10,000 km of driving

You know what is fun -- burning off big 4 wheel drive smokers at the lights. The Ioniq does a very respectable 0-60km in fang mode. 馃檪

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Chris,
Great to hear there are a couple of out there!
Must say I wimped out and got a plug in. Works fine for me as we do about 25 kays a day but occasionally do 1,000.... Last week we used 0.5l of fuel so I can be smug about that.
I love being camouflaged but that is not the general EV way which explains the dud sales I think. I was driving through Adelaide the other day and passed one so that is a confirmed 3rd one.
When we bought ours the dealer almost cut off his arm to get us into the demo Ioniq. I asked about how the Kona EV was going and he was genuinely amazed how many people were stumping up the big money for them. His attitude was they had more money than sense.
We are getting swamped with Model 3 Teslas down here but that is ok, I would put my money on the long term reliability of Hyundai any day. Plus the local dealer is 2km away.
What I like is cracking the windows a bit, turning the radio off and driving around town pretending I am a tram driver...

Registered
I鈥檒l cover the West Coast with my Plug In - on the road from tomorrow.

Must admit - dealer told me they have been selling the EVs and hybrids, but plug ins slow to move. Been looking out on the road for some Ioniqs of any type - rare as hens teeth over here - better luck spotting a Yeti!

Hoping Hyundai service get some training out to regional dealers too. At present, can鈥檛 expect to get the Plug In serviced locally in Mandurah - told I will have to take it up to Perth.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Cool another one. Well done Persar!
Pretty soon we will all lose our endangered species status.
Think there is a second one here in Ballarat (have never spotted it) so am hoping the local Hyundai dealer will be up with servicing. should be easier than a normal ICE car anyway.
So we now have reports in from WA, I saw one in Adelaide, Ballarat and Sydney. Ioniqs are taking over! Maybe there is 1 Ioniq for every 100 Teslas.....

Registered
Proud owner of a 2018 plug in here in Hobart. Got a great deal on a dealer demo and couldn鈥檛 pass it up. I was looking at a hybrid corolla before I spotted it, and I am so happy I did. Hybrid corollas are like assholes, everyone has them down here (of not private cars, all the government offices own them too)
So I am covering the little island at the bottom of Oz. Have had it a bit over 2 months and just had to fill it with fuel last week after the complimentary tank finally decided to show me a dash light. Ended up with a bit over 4000kms in that time though. So couldn鈥檛 be happier.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Proud owner of a 2018 plug in here in Hobart. Got a great deal on a dealer demo and couldn鈥檛 pass it up. I was looking at a hybrid corolla before I spotted it, and I am so happy I did. Hybrid corollas are like assholes, everyone has them down here (of not private cars, all the government offices own them too)
So I am covering the little island at the bottom of Oz. Have had it a bit over 2 months and just had to fill it with fuel last week after the complimentary tank finally decided to show me a dash light. Ended up with a bit over 4000kms in that time though. So couldn鈥檛 be happier.
Great to hear. The fact we are all getting great demo deals goes to show that the poor little Ioniq is an orphan here in Oz but all the better for all of us owners.

Registered
Greetings from another Perthian.

My shiny new toy is only a couple of days old, but it's already taken me to Bunnings twice. The new tinting means no Maccas drivethrough yet (the official new car or new P-plates rite of passage from my just-out-of-highschool days), but I should be able to fix that this evening.

Registered
Welcome EJr.
We IONIC owners are certainly like hens teeth in WA. But - I am so pleased with my PHEV, I know you鈥檒l love it. My dearvwife had doubts, but I can鈥檛 get her out of it.
Now been on the road 3 months, have done 7500 km. Total average fuel 1.1 lt/ 100km. Had a few long country trips to Narrogin - Jurien Bay - Bunbury. But mostly from home in Mandurah to work in Jandakot. Only ever seen one other IONIQ on the road so far. Enjoy the ride, will keep an eye out for ya.
Persar.

Registered
Crikey, there is a lot of jargon in this thread. My Australian is clearly way out of date, but I used to poke fun at such jargon 35 years ago with "choccy biccy for breaky". Usually good for a smile.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Great to see all you Westies piping up!
Bugger all Ioniqs in Oz as you know. The dealers are getting pretty frustrated and I have seen demo fully lecky units with 2,000 kays for sale for 32K driveaway which is sooo cheap. Really means you can get into a hardly used unit for the price of a scungy new i30. Even saw a 10,000km Hybrid for 18K. People are nongs no question.
Having said that I reckon our 100,000 head city of Ballarat Vic can possibly claim the Oz record of most Ioniqs/capita. There are now 3 that I know of. For context there are 4 Teslas and 2 i3s...
The photo below is is proof of the 2nd and the 3rd pops up on the forum occasionally.
This may all change when the Coronavirus Armageddon send the price of petrol through the roof but I doubt it because people are idiots.
Scomo has got himself into such a mess that he can't afford any **** ups so any chance of a free Ioniq for your bowls club from Bridget has Buckleys chance.
You guys will be ok as Gina and Twiggy will bail you out, it is us poor Mexicans that are going to cop it. Too many direct flights to the motherland and I only have 1/2 a bottle of Vitamin C tablets left. Can't get in the door of the Placebo Warehouse as it is jammed full of daigous. It has got me worried as I will be over there in 3 months. Maybe not the way things are going.

IMG_20200124_105258.jpg

Registered
I just drove past a white Ioniq parked less than 1km from my house.

(Edit: Mint/Archer st, to be recognisable without giving away too many details)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts