Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had problems with the Ioniq EV audio system? Did a journey today with everything OK - radio and navigation sound good. Return journey, we noticed that there was no navigation sound and then realised radio was also silent. Tried Bluetooth from phone - also silent. The car makes startup and shutdown chimes - are these from a different sound system? Display of volume setting looks normal - ie not muted. Tomorrow I will look to see if there is a separate fuse for the audio amp. Otherwise it's back to the dealer under warranty.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Maybe teaching you to suck eggs, but have you considered the possibility that you accidentally hit a mute button?

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
Not sure if there's a separate fuse for the audio amp . First thing I would try is a system reset , either from the system GUI or via the pinhole reset on the unit .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure if there's a separate fuse for the audio amp . First thing I would try is a system reset , either from the system GUI or via the pinhole reset on the unit .
Thanks chunga68. Just went out to try a reset, and the radio came on as normal without me doing anything except charging the car overnight. Now have to understand how we drove 100 miles yesterday with no sound, despite turning the ignition off and on, and resetting sound system to defaults. If any other members have had such a problem, please reply, because it would be useful to let Hyundai know that there is a problem that is more than a one off.

·
Registered
784 Posts
@chui - please read my post! Unless you know of a mute button which doesn't show the muted symbol on the screen.

Sorry didn't notice that, though if are considering faults with an open mind it is possible the system could be muted without showing a visible indication.;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
This happened to me once. After a stop, lock and restart everything was back to normal. I've read reports of this happening to other Ioniq owners, so, it could be a firmware bug.

·
Registered
387 Posts
There is an AMP fuse in the panel next to the drivers door. This can be pulled by using the tool in the fuse box under the bonnet. [There is a thread somewhere]

Pulling and replacing the fuse will cure the problem. This saved me from having to drive through deepest darkest Devon without Sat Nav guidance to the Eden Project.

You might want to try the pin hole reset first.

Perhaps we should all mention to Hyundai on our next visit that this has been done.

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
Thanks chunga68. Just went out to try a reset, and the radio came on as normal without me doing anything except charging the car overnight. Now have to understand how we drove 100 miles yesterday with no sound, despite turning the ignition off and on, and resetting sound system to defaults. If any other members have had such a problem, please reply, because it would be useful to let Hyundai know that there is a problem that is more than a one off.
I used to have a similar thing happen on my last car , it sounded as if the speakers had blown ...which was a pain on long drive . Generally it would clear after the car had been stopped and restarted . Not had any similar problem with the Ioniq after almost 2 years apart from Android Auto locking up once , which I can live with . Let's hope it's a one off software glitch in your case :)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Just went out to try a reset, and the radio came on as normal without me doing anything except charging the car overnight.
That's interesting. I had left my car for a fortnight without charging and had this problem. Charging the traction battery does also charger the 12V battery.
I wonder if the 12V battery was so low that the battery saver kicked in and stopped the Amp getting reset on startup.

Having said all the above, i had the car on a free charger for 20 minutes and ended up with the problem. Maybe it wasnt long enough to charge the 12V battery enough?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
There is a mute button on the steering wheel. Perhaps you hit that accidentally. Resets when you turn car off.

·
Registered
387 Posts
There is a mute button on the steering wheel. Perhaps you hit that accidentally. Resets when you turn car off.
I take it you are having a laugh as chui suggested the same above to the original op... and if a mute resets itself on start up, why would you only hear the bong as the hyundai logo comes up... and no radio sound? Why wouldn't satnav and radio come back on? [Because we have identified a fault with the system not the operator]

I had to remove and refit the same AMP fuse. As i suggested as a known fix above in my first msg on this thread.

The problem us sorting out how it is happening and getting hyundai on the case.

Reactions: bluecar1

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I take it you are having a laugh as chui suggested the same above to the original op... and if a mute resets itself on start up, why would you only hear the bong as the hyundai logo comes up... and no radio sound?
Chui said "a mute button". I suggested the one on the steering wheel as the best candidate for user error. The Hyundai on/off chimes melodies do not depend on the head unit and will work even if the head unit is muted. The OP said the head unit was no longer muted next drive.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Sorry but some simple facts... just to be very over perdantic and to benefit any future readers.

There actually is only one mute button that mutes the radio/sat nav/phone on the car, and yes its easy to press on the steering wheel.

Tony actually said that the next off/on(start) did not fix it (bongs heard) but an overnight charge and a morning start did fix the issue.

I actually needed the sat nav immediately in Aug18 and needed to find a solution and fixed the fault in 5 minutes using this excelĺent forum by pulling the AMP fuse. I did not have a paper clip handy to try the pin hole fix. Thanks kind forum peeps.

Yes actually the Hyundai bongs are independent of the Amp but it proves we both switched off the car not just the head unit as we heard the bongs on switch on/START.

To complete my quote "Why wouldn't satnav and radio come back on?(after a simple off and on of the car not headunit) [Because "we" have identified a fault with the system not the operator]" "we... " being the forum back in March 2017.. see above post for link.

Any takers for talking to Hyundai?

Problem/solution:-
No sound from Sat Nav and Radio and Phone.

Possible Heat issue(unlikely as not hot now). See Mar'17 thread.

12V battery low level issue, [charging the traction battery and therefore the leadacid 12V (14V applied) - has solved the problem. Also being dark may have helped? ;)

Head unit not affected as display working... and probably sending sound to amplifier too.

amplifier reset issue [the solution - but why is not resetting itself when car power cycled.] Is it being left out by the over zealous battery saver?

12V battery management/ battery saver being over dramatic? Probably.

Dodgy software. Yes. no doubt.
Wait 20 minutes... fixed phone connecting issue once. Not same issue. Audio from headunit missing.

Operator error - NOT if you've arrived here.

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai Ioniq Limited with Ultimate Package
1,126 Posts
I had something similar happen after my windshield was replaced badly. I attributed it to that. I lost all head unit sounds, LDW sounds, backup sensor sounds. Restarting the car didn't fix it but leaving the car overnight did fix it. It hasn't happened since.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Your car's software will have been well confused and in need of a good rest before getting its morning wake up call.

You know when your IT guy askes you to switch it off and back on... do they always say leave it 10 seconds b4 you switch it back on?

This is to let the power in the power supply of your device leak away to give you a good reset.

The Amplifiers power supply capacitors are likely to be huge and therefore need time to leak their power away after switch off... perhaps 10 seconds isnt long enough.

Any guinea pigs out there with the problem. Switch off, walk away, drink coffee, return and try again.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Your car's software will have been well confused and in need of a good rest before getting its morning wake up call.

You know when your IT guy askes you to switch it off and back on... do they always say leave it 10 seconds b4 you switch it back on?

This is to let the power in the power supply of your device leak away to give you a good reset.

The Amplifiers power supply capacitors are likely to be huge and therefore need time to leak their power away after switch off... perhaps 10 seconds isnt long enough.

Any guinea pigs out there with the problem. Switch off, walk away, drink coffee, return and try again.
The thing is - radio unit is not what we are used to. This is virtually a computer unit, with software to run a radio, satnav, etc. My Sandro unit is run by WinCE, however even though it is Windows, it is very stable and I had never had any issues with it. I suspect similar thing with every modern car, and always the best thing to do, when computer software is playing up with you is to do a hard reset. From my experience, capacitors may keep the motherboard alive for longer then 10 seconds, I usually go with 20-30s before restarting the system.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry but some simple facts... just to be very over perdantic and to benefit any future readers.

There actually is only one mute button that mutes the radio/sat nav/phone on the car, and yes its easy to press on the steering wheel.

Tony actually said that the next off/on(start) did not fix it (bongs heard) but an overnight charge and a morning start did fix the issue

Any takers for talking to Hyundai?

Problem/solution:-
No sound from Sat Nav and Radio and Phone.

Possible Heat issue(unlikely as not hot now). See Mar'17 thread.

12V battery low level issue, [charging the traction battery and therefore the leadacid 12V (14V applied) - has solved the problem. Also being dark may have helped? ;)

Head unit not affected as display working... and probably sending sound to amplifier too.

amplifier reset issue [the solution - but why is not resetting itself when car power cycled.] Is it being left out by the over zealous battery saver?

12V battery management/ battery saver being over dramatic? Probably.

Dodgy software. Yes. no doubt.
Wait 20 minutes... fixed phone connecting issue once. Not same issue. Audio from headunit missing.

Operator error - NOT if you've arrived here.
Hi BlueNev - useful list of possibilities, and my wife has reminded me more about what happened which nails it. We were sitting in the car listening to the radio before going in to a function in London. Got the warning message about needing the engine running to keep the 12V battery charged. - somewhat bizarre in an EV! A bit later the system turned off without me pressing the ignition button. Then we walked to our event. On returning to the car and restarting, it was then we realised no sat nav sound etc. The car remembered this condition, even after a very short 6kW charge on the motorway. Needed this because we stopped at Northampton services which doesn't have a CCS connector. Only reset after the home overnight charge.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts