Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

Are you saving the environment or your wallet

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
....electric company's get 64.5% of their power from fossil fuels...
Is still 35.5% better than 100%. Ioniq hatchback (so, not a 5) here. To answer your question: both. Less than GBP180 spent to date on fuel - 20,000 miles. And in my case 100% of the power I use at most top-ups is 100% offset.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 5 SE AWD, Cyber Gray
109 Posts
Did you buy your Hyundai I5 to save the environment (even though electric company's get 64.5% of their power from fossil fuels ) or to save money by not having to buy gasoline.
Yes/both. California Grid is pretty clean [Data from the California Energy Commission (CEC) shows that 59 percent of the state’s electricity came from renewable and zero-carbon sources in 2020. ] and moving quickly to mostly solar / stored energy. And my home is 120% solar powered, so that 20% excess (~2Mw/yr) can power a lot of the car.

I would rather rely on the grid getting cleaner over the next 10 years vs driving an ICE that isn't going to get any cleaner than it was the day it rolled off the line.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Both. Plus phycological feel good reasons such as deceleration no longer feel wasteful, zero guilty feeling while stuck in slow traffic as EV is very efficient at moderate speed.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Firey Red
331 Posts
Mostly environmental but costing it up beforehand meant we could afford it. Not necessarily to save money by outlaying AU$65k. We do understand not consuming more is the better way but we need a car and running our old one is now untennable so because we could afford it we had to make a change.

We have just ticked over AU$10000 in energy saving over 2 and a half years from owning our 2020 38kWh Ioniq and getting solar panels.

Font Electric blue Publication Brand Advertising

CO2 savings over our old 2005 Mazda6 that got 10.5L per 100km (22.4 US mpg). This was measured over 6 months even though the sticker is 8.8L/100km combined.
Included is Well To Wheel vs Tank to Wheel.

Slope Rectangle Font Line Plot

Cost difference in charging vs filling up petrol the equivalent kms based on the previous consumption rate. We have averaged 11.9kWh per 100km
Below means we have charged our car from our solar system 32% of the kWh
When i have charged the grid is 50% renewable
Emission in the above chart are from the remaining 33% from coal and gas fired power stations.
Font Rectangle Material property Screenshot Parallel

And petrol prices vs electricity prices. We have state run energy companies so prices for electricity have remained stable.
Rectangle Slope Plot Font Line

So extrapolating after 200000km we are looking to save $50k in energy costs to power our house and car and 50 tonnes of emission we personally can control.

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq PHEV Preferred
118 Posts
Top 15 reasons why I chose a used 2019 Ioniq PHEV:

1. to see for myself how long the battery will last and how long it will take to degrade
2. the longer the battery lasts, the more money I'll save
3. the longer the battery lasts, the less emissions I'll emit
4. quite ride
5. instant torque
6. no vibrations
7. not an unusual look like many other EVs
8. not overly loaded with features I don't need
9. the most efficient car available to me (of that size)
10. Half the initial price of a Model 3
11. longest range I know of in hybrid mode
12. room for bicycle
13. Hyundai commited to EV tech
14. Hyundai owns Boston Dynamics that makes cools robots
15. to experience EVs myself so I could evaluate future of EVs when investing

I don't like the expression "saving the planet". The reason for not adding greenhouse gases is to extend the life of infrastruture people build for people. That's economics. No one works for a rocky planet, people work for people.

·
Registered
2022, Teal Limited AWD
133 Posts
My wife pushed for the environment savings for our children. How much it helps for the environment is a much larger discussion. Another environment discussion is the lithium both mining and disposal.

Wallet is TBD on the return on investment. It depends on the ICE you may have purchased. I am spending 20-30k for the I5 above the used ICE vehicle we were originally targeting.

The I5 limited as for I am concerned pushes all of the buttons for me with regards to style, features and cargo capacity. It would have been on my list if it had an ICE as far as I am concerned.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts