Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

"According to media sources in Korea, Hyundai is about to enter into an agreement with their Domestic Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, and Transport to replace all of the batteries in its entire electric vehicle fleet.
UPDATE 2021-02-18: Aju.News, Business Korea, and InfostockDaily are now all reporting that the recall is going forward and will be announced on February 19th. The reports include all 3 Hyundai electric vehicle lines sold in Korea – the Kona, IONIQ, and their Elec City Bus.
Still up for discussion is how much LG will pay (suspected at least 50%). It’s rumored that Hyundai is looking at possibly utilizing SK for the replacement batteries. If so, this would be a devastating blow as they would not only lose billions, but also market share. However, this could just be a bargaining chip from Hyundai.
There are more than 21,000 IONIQs, 236 busses, and 32,854 Kona EVs sold which would be covered by this replacement recall.
There is no word yet if this will extend to another manufacturers or other countries, although it’s hard to see how it wouldn’t.
"

"This hasn't been officially confirmed, and there are few details available, but a recall may be announced this week. According to a recent report published by Aju.News, Hyundai – along with the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport in Korea – has decided to recall three electric vehicle battery systems made by LG. Models include the Kona Electric, Ioniq Electric, and electric buses. The Ioniq PHEV may be included as well."

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Limited
15 Posts
And here I was foolishly hoping that 2021 would be a better year than last year. I am literally going down to the garage right now and pulling the plug before I go to bed.

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
124 Posts
If they swap the Ioniq 38 battery, I wonder if they'll use the same NCM 622 battery chemistry as before? I suppose it's expecting too much for them to go to something that keeps the capacity but allows faster Rapid charging. Would love to see the 46 kW rate lasting well above 53% SOC, or approach the rate the 28 manages.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like Australia will replace the Batteries

"Hyundai Australia has confirmed it will recall electric Kona and Ioniq cars sold in Australia and replace their battery packs and battery management systems, part of a global recall triggered by fears of a potential fire risk.

The recall will affect most of the 1001 Kona electric cars sold in Australia since their launch two years ago, and many of the 755 fully electric Ioniq cars sold in Australia "

The wording of the artificial implies that not all Kona EV and Ioniq EV vehicles are affected.
My Ioniq has a build date of January 2019 ( It has the 28Kwh battery )

In some ways it would be nice to have the battery life reset -- I have had my Ioniq for just over 2 years.

·
Registered
553 Posts
How to find the build date of my 28kwh Ioniq? I read an article saying this will eventually be a global replacement so US/Canada will come at a later date.

I didn't think 28kWh Ioniq had any issues, isn't it only the Kona EV and Bolt with the real fires?

Anyway having a brand new battery would make it "like new" again so thats a positive LOL. But I hope they don't neuter the charge rates with the new battery/BMS post replacement

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How to find the build date of my 28kwh Ioniq? I read an article saying this will eventually be a global replacement so US/Canada will come at a later date.

I didn't think 28kWh Ioniq had any issues, isn't it only the Kona EV and Bolt with the real fires?
View attachment 33568
Anyway having a brand new battery would make it "like new" again so thats a positive LOL. But I hope they don't neuter the charge rates with the new battery/BMS post replacement
I found the build plate just inside the left door

I guess it could be anywhere on the car, even under the hood/bonnet somewhere.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq premium -19, 28kWh
15 Posts
I think the Ioniq classic will be exempt, nothing wrong with the cells in it. Its the LG NMC622 cells that have some fault and are shorting and causing fires (or just capacity loss). Probably getting replaced with SK NMC622 cells(same as Kia).

Just guessing though, time will tell when the first cars start getting out done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know how to determine the manufacturing year/month of a 38kWh Ioniq? There are a thousand online VIN decoders, but none seem to be correct for the 38kWh Ioniq.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I think the Ioniq classic will be exempt, nothing wrong with the cells in it. Its the LG NMC622 cells that have some fault and are shorting and causing fires (or just capacity loss). Probably getting replaced with SK NMC622 cells(same as Kia).

Just guessing though, time will tell when the first cars start getting out done.
I agree. See also here

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Firey Red
133 Posts
Does anyone know how to determine the manufacturing year/month of a 38kWh Ioniq? There are a thousand online VIN decoders, but none seem to be correct for the 38kWh Ioniq.
My Australian 38 (RHD) is the same as in Chris's pic. On the front passengers inner door frame

1 - 12 of 12 Posts