Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assuming from the fact that Hyundai sells world wide and Residential voltages vary, and Hyundai supply chain would like to streamline the charger, that the US charger does support 240V but does not have a plug for it.

That said, has any one in the US tried to use a NEMA 14-30 to NEMA 5-15P converter and run the Granny Charger on it.

There is a product on Amazon that does the NEMA 14-30 to NEMA 5-15P convert but before I bought it I wanted to check the forum is anyone had tried doing it

·
Registered
33 Posts
EVSEupgrade.com can do this for various models, but looks like they are moving the business, and don't see Hyundai listed. Worth contacting them tho, they know their stuff (did this for my LEAF).

·
Registered
270 Posts
I charged many times before I bought my 240V 30 amp dedicated charger. Look up the EV doubler. You can build one for $20. The charger is the same one used overseas for 240 V applications, it is UL listed for 120V only.

·
Registered
4 Posts
+1
I tested mine and it is working fine. The car recognizes it as a 240V and charges at the same rate of 12A. You will effectively double the charging speed with this setup. I build multiple adapters to cover several common 240 plugs and keep them in the car to be used while away from home or as a backup. Using NEMA 14-50 connected Juicebox for nightly charging.

·
Registered
253 Posts
There is a product on Amazon that does the NEMA 14-30 to NEMA 5-15P convert but before I bought it I wanted to check the forum is anyone had tried doing it
Could you please post a link to the exact product on Amazon that you're referring to?

I have a feeling that if you buy a ready made adapter from NEMA 14 to NEMA 5, it will only connect one of the 120 volt hots through, not the full 240 volts. To get 240 volts, you might have to buy the connectors separately and wire up the adapter yourself. (Or possibly, take an adapter apart and rewire it.)

·
Registered
270 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JKBQGMF/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza. These are made special so the two legs 120 legs are tied to the HOT (L1 and L2) Of the 240V. I built the two 120V version and put two 120 recepts in my garage panel. 1 on L1 and the other in L2. It worked great. Nerve racking plugging it in for the first time and pre-testing the “adapter” with my multi tester
to make sure I had everything properly wired.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Could you please post a link to the exact product on Amazon that you're referring to?

I have a feeling that if you buy a ready made adapter from NEMA 14 to NEMA 5, it will only connect one of the 120 volt hots through, not the full 240 volts. To get 240 volts, you might have to buy the connectors separately and wire up the adapter yourself. (Or possibly, take an adapter apart and rewire it.)
Just to be clear, you are operating the Hyundai 120v factory charger on 240v correct. Need to get this clear before I try it

·
Registered
253 Posts
Just to be clear, you are operating the Hyundai 120v factory charger on 240v correct. Need to get this clear before I try it
Not me personally, no. I live in a country where we have 230 volts in all our domestic wall sockets, except for the odd 110 volt shaver outlet...

My granny charger is only marked 230V 50Hz, nothing else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes! I personally operated 120V US spec stock Ioniq charger on 240V. No issues. Doubles the charge speed compared to 120V operation. Look at the attached document from the "EVdoctor" - he tested and confirmed its safe use on 240V. I wish I knew this before I tried myself. It was a little nerve rocking:)

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yes. The same unit as used by Hyundai worldwide Is used in the USA but labeled for 120V usage. The only difference is voltage label and inlet plug all over the world. If you modify the inlet plug with an ”adapter” to accept 120v L1 on one leg, and 120v L2 on the neutral, while keeping the ground intact, the charger charges at 240V/12A with no issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes I made my own. Yes It works. 240v and charges in 1/2 the time.
What receptical did you use for the 240V and the regular plug. The ones I see are 120V/15 amp. The 240V/15 amp seem to have the flat blades horizontal. On did you modify the plug on the granny charger?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I did not modify my charger at all. I set up my garage with 2 120/15 recepts. 1 fed off from L-1 and the other L-2 from separate 15 Amp breakers in my panel. So they are both 120 V but opposite phases. I bought 2 120V/15amp Leviton plugs from Home Depot and a 120V 15 or 20 Amp Leviton recept for an extension cord for the Granny charger. I wired it with 12 ga wire.

if going with a 240V pluG and Wall recept you can go with any that you like. I would stick with a 240v30Amp dryer plug/recep so you can use this elsewhere. For the Granny connection it’s just a standard 120V 15 Amp extension cord recept. BTW this is the improper use of this recept. It’s designed for 120v and a neutral only. The EV doubler gives you a special wrap so the recept stays on your granny charger at all times and you do not accidentally plug a 120V item into the adapter.

I suggest buying the EV doubler. It comes with a tester to make sure your circuit is set up properly and you can get 240 of the dual 120 option. I tested all mine with a multi meter To make sure it was sound before trying it.

I do not think you will find an electrician who will build this for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
... I bought 2 120V/15amp Leviton plugs from Home Depot and a 120V 15 or 20 Amp Leviton recept for an extension cord for the Granny charger. I wired it with 12 ga wire.
Perfect, thats is exactly what I wanted to verify. I could not find a NEMA 5-15R rated for 240V. I even suspect the EVDOUBLER has the Leviton 5-15 rated for 125V beacuse I cannot find a Leviton part that does 240V. :).

So you bascially mirrored the EVDOUBLER 120 which is cool. I need to find 2 15 amp drops on different poles close to the garage that I can tap.

Thanks for the info and follow up.

·
Registered
253 Posts
While I'm sure that the EVDOUBLER is not a bad product, it seems a little overpriced at USD 99:95.

The parts, bought separately, shouldn't set you back more than 10 or 15 dollars, so if you know what you're doing, you can assemble an equivalent adapter yourself. But never take any chances! Don't do it if you have no experience working with electrical parts!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Perfect, thats is exactly what I wanted to verify. I could not find a NEMA 5-15R rated for 240V. I even suspect the EVDOUBLER has the Leviton 5-15 rated for 125V beacuse I cannot find a Leviton part that does 240V. :).

So you bascially mirrored the EVDOUBLER 120 which is cool. I need to find 2 15 amp drops on different poles close to the garage that I can tap.

OR do the 240V option with one 240V/30A receptacle. It's easier to do than the two 115's as you only need one 2 pole breaker. Yes, you are correct, unless you have the european/asia charger, which is 230V at the plug (they are lucky dogs!!), you have to use a 120 V 1 Phase 15A cord plug and make the neutral a hot to adapt. Be sure to label it or mark it or do something to indicate no other use. The neutral in the Leviton is designed to carry 100% of the current so it will do it, it is simply not Code approved. Also, NEVER plug anything into the adapter end that will receive the Granny Charger Plug. That will be very very bad.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
...... 1 fed off from L-1 and the other L-2 from separate 15 Amp breakers in my panel. So they are both 120 V but opposite phases. I bought 2 120V/15amp Leviton plugs from Home Depot and a 120V 15 or 20 Amp Leviton recept for an extension cord for the Granny charger. I wired it with 12 ga wire.
Question

How did you mange the Neutrals off the 2 120V circuits. Just ignored (insulated) them?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts