Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone on here use Apple Carplay? Interested in people's experiences.

I also read somewhere that when using Airplay or the Google version , the port that you plug into doesn't seem to output much power and therefore it is not great at charging your phone as well as running Carplay. Anyone experience this?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
If you do a quick search on the forum there's quite a few posts about CarPlay but there may be something more specific you want info on?

Personally I haven't used it yet, which is strange for me as I love being the first to try out a new gadget but I just haven't had the time to start playing with it.

I know most of the guys on here have and there have been some slight issues noted.. I'm sure they will respond on here if you have any queries. :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
i use car play in my current non ioniq car, and its great, couldnt imagine any difference on the ioniq as the operating system takes over. its simple easy to use, and very good voice functions.

not sure about the charging output but had seen others claiming that it doesnt seem to be enough to charge a phone.

In my current car, there is no issues with charging whilst using carplay... so could just be lower output in ioniq, but usually the iphone complains if the charge is'nt sufficient

·
Registered
725 Posts
Can you use carplay (Siri voice control) to play music from a USB stick plugged into the radio or will it only drive the iphone music/spotify etc?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll have a search and see what else people have said. Shame if the Ioniq port is too low powered, a bit of an oversight/mistake really , there should be a minimum out put for all ports like this otherwise a waste of time. Going to try carplay on my test drive on Saturday to see if it works and charges the phone at the same time as acting as a WiFi hotspot for love traffic updates, another thing I think Hyundai have dropped the ball on.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers...I figured that would be the case....makes Carplay as useless as I thought from all I have read since it came out :)
To be fair. Carplay is an Apple offering so I am not surprised it only supports Apple devices.

·
Registered
725 Posts
To be fair. Carplay is an Apple offering so I am not surprised it only supports Apple devices.
Indeed but if I have a car with a decent satnav and phone setup then Carplay really adds little value! I certainly wouldnt want to have to use Apple's maps for navigation as much as I like my iPhone. One day someone will come up with something great for a phone. GPS was one, the fingerprint scanner was the other but that can be more of an annoyance than anything else but at least it got me back to auto locking my phone again :)

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Indeed but if I have a car with a decent satnav and phone setup then Carplay really adds little value!
Phone calls will still be handled better (contact lists, right?), and I don't know of any cars with good text/email software. Plus even if they had such software, now you have to set up yet one more system and keep your contacts updated.

·
Registered
130 Posts
i use carplay more than i do the built in system in my car, i use spotify for my music, and apple maps for navigation, i perhaps may be more inclined to use the ioniq maps, but when you can just speak "directions to" then its easy.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I dont use spotify, dont feel the urge to hold a conversation with my map and really dont need to text/email whilst driving :) Maybe carplay is not for me lol

That said I will give it a go when I get the car but wont lose any sleep if I dont use it...for one I can then get a wireless charging adapter and use that if I dont need to plug in the phone!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I'll have a search and see what else people have said. Shame if the Ioniq port is too low powered, a bit of an oversight/mistake really , there should be a minimum out put for all ports like this otherwise a waste of time. Going to try carplay on my test drive on Saturday to see if it works and charges the phone at the same time as acting as a WiFi hotspot for love traffic updates, another thing I think Hyundai have dropped the ball on.
Are you talking about USB ports? Because there's two.. one for media and one for charging..

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you talking about USB ports? Because there's two.. one for media and one for charging..
I'm not sure , whichever is the one you have to use for Carplay to work.

I would expect that whilst it is plugged in using Carplay apps it would charge it at a reasonable rate.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I use the Ioniq Satnav myself, as I h

Apple Maps is okay, but I do not like how you can't easily search for things or access your contacts to set as a destination. You have to go into Apple Maps on the device itself so that you can bring it up from Recent History.
Most of what I search for isn't classified under Parking, or Fueling Station, Restaurants, etc. Plus I don't know if Traffic works on Apple Maps in CarPlay (anyone?).

Otherwise, I do like the Phone and Messages integration in Apple CarPlay in my Ioniq, and I usually listen to podcasts via the excellent Overcast app. The Music app is fine when the kids want to listen to their music.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I always plug my phone in and it seems to charge as expected. One thing that does annoy me slightly is that there is no 'Home' icon on the CarPplay screen (top left corner) to take you back to the Ioniq home screen.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Isn't there a Hyundai button in CarPlay to take you to the main Ioniq screen, or did you mean something else?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bottom line for me is that if you want hands free, voice operated calling you HAVE to use CarPlay (or presumably the Android equivalent). Despite the fact that the quick start manual states that you can simply press the voice button on the steering wheel and issue voice commands all that happens when you do this is that you get a message stating that you need to have an Apple or Android device physically connected to use voice commands. So far my dealer hasn't been able to tell me why this feature doesn't work as per the manual....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts