Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sad to report on the Apple Carplay problem (with the caller at the other end hearing themselves as a strong echo). A google-search reveals this to have been a problem with several car makes and I find it is also an issue in the Ioniq.

The problem occurs when making or receiving a call when connected through Carplay, which requires a wired connection between car and phone. It also occurred before I enabled the bluetooth-connection, which BTW is automatically shut down when you plug in the cable.

The echo issue does not occur when using the bluetooth connection.

This is obviously an Apple-issue and I will report a case with them.

(I'm using an iphone 6S with ios 10.0.2)

·
Registered
317 Posts
You might want to keep on the look out for updates since initially it should be a software issue. Haven't seen anything on updates to come out but you can always try sending out emails and seeing what you get back, sometimes that gets you an answer.

·
Registered
169 Posts
When you hear an echo, it's usually the other person's phone that's the problem isn't it? Could be an ioniq system problem instead of apple? Hard t pinpoint these things.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's the thing, I'm not hearing the echo in the car, it is the person at the other end hearing themselves played back as an echo. The issue is definitely not limited to Hyundai as many owners of VW, Audi, Ford, etc. have experienced the same, and the problem has been reported on the Apple-fora to have existed for several years.

The solution, however annoying, is simply to unplug the phone and let it connect via bluetooth whenever you make or reveive a phone call.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all,

New to the forum and Ioniq ownership as of last week. I too am experiencing this issue where the other end hears their voice echo quite strongly. As other have said, it appears to be an issue on other models (Kia, VW & Skoda to my knowledge), yet the majority of users claim no issues.

There's no word from Apple or Hyundai on this, either. I just wondered if anybody had managed to find a solution, or at least a workaround (apart from unplugging the USB cable when calling)?

(Apart from this issue, I've been very impressed with the car)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just wondered if anybody had managed to find a solution, or at least a workaround (apart from unplugging the USB cable when calling)?
I haven´t had a chance to test this yet, but I have a theory that perhaps it is the phone's own microphone picking up the sound from the car speakers and sending it back. Maybe, just maybe, it is possible to press the microphone mute button on the phone to eliminate this feedback loop?

·
Super Moderator
1,827 Posts
I haven´t had a chance to test this yet, but I have a theory that perhaps it is the phone's own microphone picking up the sound from the car speakers and sending it back. Maybe, just maybe, it is possible to press the microphone mute button on the phone to eliminate this feedback loop?
I think you're most likely correct . Certainly sounds like it may be positive feedback

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've just tried this and can report that muting the handset doesn't work, as it also mutes the phone on the media unit.

I also tried placing the handset in the armrest storage compartment, thinking that this would at least limit the echo by boxing off the handset from the noise of the car speakers. The person on the other end said that this made no difference to the level of echo. Shame!

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's a pity. Thank you for trying.

However, the solution may be coming shortly. See the attached screenshot from the Hyundai Ioniq Electric group on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1842747469315009/permalink/1858316321091457/
Thanks @Norwegian. My dealer has confirmed that theCarPlay update is now available and we've booked the Ioniq in for the update on Feb 23rd. Hopefully I will remember to report back to confirm the issue has been resolved.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PROBLEM SOLVED! The latest software update for the car fixed the problem. The echo is gone and the sound of the phone is just fine at both ends.

The software update is done by dealer by inserting an SD card in the slot below the screen. Takes about 10 minutes. The map SD card was also updated and inserted back in after the software update was done. A few restarts and the car was up and running.

·
Registered
278 Posts
PROBLEM SOLVED! The latest software update for the car fixed the problem. The echo is gone and the sound of the phone is just fine at both ends.

The software update is done by dealer by inserting an SD card in the slot below the screen. Takes about 10 minutes. The map SD card was also updated and inserted back in after the software update was done. A few restarts and the car was up and running.
Do you know which version of the software fixes the Apple car play? Those of us getting a car in the next few days may or may not have the latest software. It would be really helpful to know so that we could check and request the update if needed. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I only got my Ioniq less than one week ago and just tried a couple of calls, but had no problem at all neither with CarPlay nor with Bluetooth :D

Don't know the software version, maybe it was updated (I asked the seller to check) before delivery - will check tomorrow and tell you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you know which version of the software fixes the Apple car play? Those of us getting a car in the next few days may or may not have the latest software. It would be really helpful to know so that we could check and request the update if needed. Thanks in advance.

Attached is a photo with the software version number that fixed the carplay echo.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts