Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an Ioniq 5 on order but a trailer hitch is really important - not for towing, but carrying bikes on a hitch mounted rack. I'll only have one car, and it needs to do a bunch of everything, including carrying 4 people and 4 bikes or skis to Whistler and back from Vancouver. That's the minimum baseline test I've set and I feel that if a car can do that, it'll be pretty versatile for other things.

But...I don't want some ugly aftermarket looking bar and receiver hanging down under the car, so I'm interested in seeing how well integrated the design is.

·
Registered
2022 AWD Ultimate Johnny 5
362 Posts
I've got an Ioniq 5 on order but a trailer hitch is really important - not for towing, but carrying bikes on a hitch mounted rack. I'll only have one car, and it needs to do a bunch of everything, including carrying 4 people and 4 bikes or skis to Whistler and back from Vancouver. That's the minimum baseline test I've set and I feel that if a car can do that, it'll be pretty versatile for other things.

But...I don't want some ugly aftermarket looking bar and receiver hanging down under the car, so I'm interested in seeing how well integrated the design is.
The trailer's hitchs that may be available in the markets the I5 currently exists are going to be very different from the North American version. I am afraid you are going to have to wait until Hyundai updates their relevant accessory web page or they have something other than a preorder page with minimal info. That probably won't happen for a while as only the first Canadian I5s are hitting port now.

·
Registered
UK Project 45
58 Posts

they are available in the UK - I have one, though I suspect the nose weight wont support 4 bikes and a bike carrier - it will be close.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I saw one installed on an I5 at Hyundai Canada. It was a very discreet 1-1/4inch hitch receiver, no big ugly bar. The issue is some 1-1/4" receiver racks won't support 4 bikes. My apologies for not taking a picture. I'm kind of happy because my current bike rack is 1-1/4, but a 2" can do more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that - hopefully they'll have something to see at the dealership when their demos arrive. It might not seem like a big deal, but it's a pretty important part of our lifestyle and we only have one car. A 1 1/4 receiver might work for some racks if you can get an adapter to 2" so that might be a surmountable issue.

·
Registered
2022 Preferred AWD LR Ioniq 5
98 Posts
Late on this, so maybe you already figured this out, but the European accessories catalog says max payload 60kg. That sounds like a rack and a bike or two.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for that - hopefully they'll have something to see at the dealership when their demos arrive. It might not seem like a big deal, but it's a pretty important part of our lifestyle and we only have one car. A 1 1/4 receiver might work for some racks if you can get an adapter to 2" so that might be a surmountable issue.
The only problem with adding a 2 inch adapter the max tongue weight is reduced by half from 200lbs. to 100lbs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Late on this, so maybe you already figured this out, but the European accessories catalog says max payload 60kg. That sounds like a rack and a bike or two.
Hrm. Yeah, 60kg won't be enough for 4 bikes and the rack. Maybe a roof rack/bike rack combo. This might be getting a bit tricky.

·
IONIQ Electric, SE (w/ CCP) 2018.
1,139 Posts
I've loaded 3 bikes on a bike rack on my 28kWh IONIQ. It works well and I think I could do a fourth if I wanted. I drive from Langley to Whistler and back without issue using that set up. I think that the biggest determining factor is your carrier and how it carries the bikes. The further out they stick, the bigger the problem.

Reactions: upa

·
Registered
10 Posts

I am also in need of a 2” receiver for a bike rack. I will only carry 2 in back and I’ll be installing a Thule roof rack for when I need to carry more than 2 bikes.

·
Registered
99 Posts

What picture do you have ? The ones people are posting are ball hitches no sleeve for bike racks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has a picture of the factory Ioniq 5 hitch installed. I have seen the Torklift version and it looks nice, but after seeing the install video it's not something I'd feel comfortable doing myself. My HI5 will not come with the factory hitch installed and it would have to be installed at the dealer (their first install I'm sure). Price $800 installed. Since I will only be carrying a couple of bikes, the 1-1/2" inch is not a problem. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2022 I5 Pref. AWD LR, Ultimate, AWhite
122 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has a picture of the factory Ioniq 5 hitch installed. I have seen the Torklift version and it looks nice, but after seeing the install video it's not something I'd feel comfortable doing myself. My HI5 will not come with the factory hitch installed and it would have to be installed at the dealer (their first install I'm sure). Price $800 installed. Since I will only be carrying a couple of bikes, the 1-1/2" inch is not a problem. Thanks.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Hood Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Road surface Asphalt Toy

If you need more let me know.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I like the look of both hitches. Looks like no bumper cutting required for either. hwitten: I'm going to see if I can find the install instructions for the factory hitch. Iconic 5: I've installed several trailer hitches before, but never had to do cutting or bumper removal. Anything notable on the install? I would have to see if they would ship to U.S., but it may be cost prohibitive. Thanks you guys for the information.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts